GO!

Bulldogs unable to fly with Delta Airlines

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 4:35pm PST 
While reading Delta airlines' policies I came across this:
"Delta will no longer accept any American, English or French bulldogs, regardless of their age or weight. While we regret the decision to restrict this particular breed, we remain committed to the animal's safety, just as we do with our passengers."

The dogs' breathing is severely compromised by the altitude so I guess that's why they prohibit the breed. What do you think, should they be able to do it?
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 5:38pm PST 
You'd think pugs would also be included.
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

Let me sleep for- another five- mintes.

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 5:54pm PST 
Actually, all brach dogs should be included. It's just not worth the risk.
[notify]

Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 6:51pm PST 
I got to go with the airlines on this one ...

Hugs & Farts
Thor..wave
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Sat Mar 26, '11 12:09am PST 
Personally, I can't see flying any dog cargo. I had to send 3 of my client's dog cargo (one of the dogs was a pug) & felt so bad. For about the same price of flying (depending on the distance) you can hire someone to drive the dog. Not only will they be traveling in a climate controlled environment, they will get personalized attention.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Apr 10, '11 12:51am PST 
Samson, the section where the dogs are at while in the plane is pressurized, so it has nothing to do with altitude. The main problem is that a lot of the Brachy breeds also have congenital heart defects that may or may not be diagnosed prior to flight. Add in the fact that they tend to overheat at lower temps than dogs with a regular snout length and you have airlines having to deal with dead pets.
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Sun Apr 10, '11 8:33am PST 
"Actually, all brach dogs should be included. It's just not worth the risk."

This.

I am paranoid about flying any dog in cargo though. I've heard SO many horror stories... But then again, if there's no other way, then there's no other way. I'd still be a nervous wreck the whole trip, worrying how my pup is doing.
shrug
[notify]