does anyone have a link to health requirements to reenter the u.s.a from abroad?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.


little- dog big- life
Barked: Thu Mar 10, '11 10:10am PST 
i googled but got lots of 'travel tips' and couldn't find the link for the actual shots/paperwork required. shrug
mommy's done it before but she has alzheimers and needs to double check to see i'm up to snuff. shh
one question i have is how many days prior to departure can the health cert be? is a health cert from a local vet okay or do i need to go down to customs or agriculture dept for a special paper?
thanks in advance, globetrotting pals! blue dog
(i'll be travelling in cabin from grenada west indies)
Savannah Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!
Barked: Thu Mar 10, '11 10:59am PST 
Is this what you need?

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/BringingAnimalToUs.htm l

I'm a trilingual- dog!
Barked: Thu Mar 10, '11 12:22pm PST 
A health certificate isn't required by US customs/quarantine, but it may be required by your airline. Last time, I just made sure the health cert was within 10 days of travel and a local vet will be fine.

Other than that you just need proof of rabies vaccinations (at least 30 days prior to entry).


little- dog big- life
Barked: Thu Mar 10, '11 5:00pm PST 
thanks pups! i saw the cdc site, but it didn't have a list of the vaccs required. i read that part where it said health cert only but i couldn't believe it! i had to get a mess of innocs to get down here!
i thought i had better doublecheck.
blue dog

Work hard; Play- harder.
Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 4:16pm PST 
The country you are exiting may require specific paperwork as well.

South Korea requires all dogs and cats to get a regular health certificate from a vet then visit one of the quarantine offices to have an export certificate prepared (cost: 10,000won/ @$8.94US ATM). You can't get past the ticket counter without one.