GO!

Dogs ride in car without using seat belts

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Rocky

Rocky protector- of Boot domain

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 10:03pm PST 
I live in Pennsylvania. I never heard of a law to keep your pet in a crate or seat belt while riding in a car. My dog sits on the seat without a seat belt. Does any one else ride their dog without using a seat belt? I see other people letting their dogs hang out the window also. I do not allow this since a rock or other items could go into his eyes.dog
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 7:06am PST 
I have a Jeep, so I put the seat down & both dogs are loose in the back. I don't put the windows down far enough for them to hang out. Like you I don't want stuff to get in their eyes, plus I don't want them flying out if you go around a corner. My pet peeve is seeing people with dogs on their laps, hanging out the window when they drive.
[notify]
Vivace

Wonder pup in- the making.

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 7:49am PST 
Skippy ride loose in the van. He freaks out if I put him in a crate or use a seat belt. We do have a rule the he has to stay in the back seats and not on mine or someone's lap in the front. As for the windows we don't have an issue with him sticking his head out since we drive a van. They don't open enough for his head to stick out. I hate seeing dogs riding in cars with their heads sticking out. Freaks me out.

Vivace has to ride in a crate or seat belt (harness with the belt through it) She is still really wild in the van and keeps trying to come up front an on my lap. So she is banned to the very back seat.
[notify]

Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 8:27am PST 
I personally don't with my current dogs because I'd have dogs in my lap trying to drive, but my friend has a bed in the backseat where her dog lays quietly during car rides.
[notify]
Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Seize life by- the big stick!

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 8:40am PST 
Marlowe has a seatbelt and wore it every car ride til he was about 4-5 months old, but we don't use it anymore. I feel sort of bad, because I worry what would happen to him if we were in a wreak, but he's just much more comfortable without it. He can sprawl all the way across the back seat and move to the shade if the sun's shining in one side of the car (he hates being in the sun). He just lays down in the back and is quiet and well-behaved the whole ride, so I don't strap him in anymore.

shrug
[notify]
Charcoal

EVERYONE is my- BEST friend

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 9:08am PST 
My dogs wear seatbelts but thats because its the law here. ANIMALS must be restrained. I do roll down the windows and if we are on BACK roads they are loose in the car. But Charlie likes to lay in the back window so she doesnt get to be loose as often as Morgan does.

My Neighbor drives with both dogs on his lap. No seat belts or harnesses for the dogs at all... and he rolls his windows down so the dogs can have thier heads out. It scares me, the smaller dog bandit hangs half way out of the car sometimes. I tell him that one day somethings going to happen but he wont listen... Maybe the cops will pull him over because here the dogs are supposed to be restrained in the car.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 9:34am PST 
In a crash, any unrestrained animal is in great danger of getting severely injured, or severely injuring someone else (your pup turns into a projectile when the car stops short but their body keeps on going).

My dogs are like my babies. If I had a human baby, I'd definitely use seatbelts and car seats to keep them safe. I feel the same with my dogs. I also think it is important to use a crash-tested seatbelt on my dogs. A lot of the non-tested ones will actually break on impact.
[notify]
Charcoal

EVERYONE is my- BEST friend

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 10:37am PST 
the ones I use say they are tested and they look like they would distribute the weight evenly I cant for the life of me remember the brand they are in the car at my boyfriends work lol.....
[notify]
Buckeye

Eat, Sleep &- Play! Yes, Life- is Good!

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 11:46am PST 
I've never used a seatbelt for my dogs. I don't think I will, either, only because they would really go crazy. One of my dogs stays rather still in the car, but whines a lot. I know if I were to put a seatbelt on him, he would end up hurting himself. He sits or lies in the backseat, normally with someone with him. We let him stick his head out the window, but just his head. We crack it open so he can only stick his head out, and have the leash on him in case there is an emergency and he has to come back in to the car quickly, or if he would try to jump out.

Our other dog just loves the car, so we are hardly worried about his safety. He is very relaxed in the car and just enjoys the ride. We rarely let him stick his head out the window because he has severe allergies and we don't want him to get itchy from all the pollen blowing on to him. He sits or lies in the front passenger seat the whole time and we've never had a problem with him in the car.

I am not against dog seatbelts at all, or crating your dog in the car. I think its very safe. I just know my dogs wouldn't be able to stand it, and it would make them crazy. They behave very well in the car, so its just adding stress to the ride. Great thread by the way!
[notify]
Isabelle RIP

Pumpkin Pie- Puppy 2009-2010

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 2:46pm PST 
I never used doggie seat belts until I got isabelle. she will get very car sick unless we have her in one. plus she is my furry baby and I want her to be safe. A few months ago my boyfriends niece was in a horrible car crash at high speeds. She had her 60lb yellow lab in the back seat unrestrained. The dog got slammed into the back of her seat completely destroying it. It literally crushed her seat. She luckily survived, but was silverly injured, she is still in the hospital now and probably wont walk for at least a year. The dog unfortunately didn't make it. If the dog would have been in a cage or seat belt it would have made a big difference. I think it should be a law in more places.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9