GO!

When crossing the California border...

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 1:46pm PST 
Do you need anything if you have dogs? When they check your car do they ask you for things regarding your dog?

We will be coming home from Vegas, and I've never taken the dogs out of state. They will have their license, Id tags, and Vac. records. Stinky doesn't have a rabies tag confused he does have his rabies shot though... Would the Vac. record count?

Is there anything else they need? I'm suddenly panicked I can't believe I didn't think of this. I was so caught up thinking of getting there, I forgot about coming back!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 2:59pm PST 
Do you mean you're traveling between states? From Vegas to Cali and back?

I am sure there are local rules, but I have never, ever, ever been stopped for crossing state lines with the dogs and we've done it a million times.

If you're really cautious you could just bring his vaccination records.
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 3:42pm PST 
Yeah, we live in CA and we're going to Vegas.

Going there there is no check point, but coming back there is. They always just wave us through, but we've never had dogs with us before. I'll just bring everything and hope for the best shrug Can't find anything online about it...

Oh from a different country it says you need Vac. record. They make a big deal about rabies but thats all they say.
[notify]

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 3:47pm PST 
Stinky, yup, all you need is a rabies certificate.

Here ya go:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/AHFSS/Animal_Health/cats_dogs.html

blue dog
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 4:59pm PST 
OH! Thanks Lilith!!! hug
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 5:39pm PST 
Last time we drove across the border we had a dog, two cats, two guinea pigs, and two reptiles (and two humans) in our VW Golf. We weren't stopped! But yeah, have the rabies certificate just in case.
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 6:27pm PST 
How did you fit all them animals in your Golf??? shock I would have stopped you just to see how they all got in there! laugh out loud
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 1:30am PST 
They won't even ask you about the dog, most likely. I've been into and out of Cali multiple times with Ginger this year, and they never even ask. I didn't even have her rabies cert. in the car, but she has rabies and license tags on her collar, hopefully that's enough if they did.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 7:33am PST 
LOL Stinky, we drove from North Carolina to California with all the animals. Sabrina was belted into the middle of the backseat. The guinea pigs were in a cage to her left, and the reptiles were in cages to her right (all buckled in). We put Sabrina's crate in the hatchback area and put the two cats in there. We had floor space in the backseat taken up with food items for us and the animals, and we had a roof rack with a bag that contained clothes and toiletries for the trip across the country. Since we had so many animals, we couldn't really stop along the way much except to sleep, so it only took us 4 days (or 4.5?) to get across the country.
[notify]
Lola- Penelope

If you have- food, I looovvee- youuuuu!

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 8:52am PST 
I've never been to Cali but I've been to a lot of other states and never heard of check points between states before! Wonder why Cali does this? Drug trafficking? I thought most drugs came from S America or Cali, not INTO Cali from other states. hmmm... Cali is weird or I am naive!thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2