Travel with dog over the Canada/US border?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Veronica &- Piccadilly

Let's Play
Barked: Fri May 4, '07 5:34pm PST 
We're going to be going from Saskatchewan to Montana next month ... has anypup's family done that, or know the conditions (I know I need a passport) and I expect Veronica will need proof of all her shots (I will try and track down info. on the Customs site as well),

I would like to take her with us... but, also want to bring her back laugh out loud

Veronica's Mom

Bark All- Night Sleep All- Day!
Barked: Fri May 4, '07 7:17pm PST 
We can't wait to see you V!

Don't worry, if they won't let you back over the border you can come live with us! Hehe!

Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!
Barked: Sat May 5, '07 9:24am PST 
We do this by car all the time. The regs state that a dog only has to 'appear' healthy. If you are flying, I would get a health certificate. No one has ever questioned us about anything, including the time we flew from Vancouver to Portland!

Going into the US, be aware that you are not allowed to bring in dog food. At the least they will confiscate it. At the worst, they will deny you entry. The only exceptions are UNOPENED cans or bags that are labeled "Made in the US."

www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dog_chien_ queste.shtml

Have fun and stay safe!way to go

Roxie, NPC

I'm a poodle! - Got a problem- with that??
Barked: Sun May 6, '07 6:41am PST 
hope this helps:
This is from canada customs (for when you are comming back home)

You may import pet dogs and cats younger than three months old from the United States without submitting any documentation. However, a CFIA veterinarian must examine them if they appear unhealthy. If you own an assistance dog that is certified as a guide, hearing or other service dog, the animal is not subject to any restrictions as long as it accompanies you to Canada.

If you own cats older than three months, dogs older than eight months and pet dogs between three and eight months, you may import them from the United States as long as they accompany you when you enter Canada. You will also have to submit a certificate signed and dated by a veterinarian for each pet. The certificate must show that the animal is currently vaccinated against rabies and include the name of the vaccine used and its expiry date. In addition, it has to identify the animal by breed, age, sex, colouring and any distinguishing marks. We cannot accept an animal tag in place of a certificate. If you import pet dogs between three and eight months that do not accompany you, you may require additional permits and certifications.

This is from US customs:


(Note: this section updated September 6, 2006)
A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Proof of Rabies Vaccination: Dogs must have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days prior to entry into the United States. These requirements apply equally to service animals such as Seeing Eye dogs.

Hope this helps!
Veronica &- Piccadilly

Let's Play
Barked: Sun May 6, '07 7:12am PST 
Thanks Otto and Roxi.... I am getting so excited.... I'm going to meet and play (I hope) with my Look-a-Like and best friend Lucy.... I love to wrestle... and I hope she will too.... her sister might not be as thrilled with mewink.

Mommy talked to her niece, who works for Canada Customs... and she said I do need the proof of having an up to date rabies vaccine.... we'll take ALL my paperwork (we're driving)...

Thanks again for your help.

laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud Thanks Lucy.... I guess it's always good to have a plan B! What would Mommy do without me though???shrug

Edited by author Sun May 6, '07 7:13am PST


Adoration? Of- course, you can- adore me!
Barked: Sun May 6, '07 11:16pm PST 
I just came home from a trip to Montana and can vouch for the confiscation of all of my food at the border. Mommy and I had travelled across the border a number of times before, when we were moving back and forth from Eastern Canada to Western Canada and back, but had not run into this before ... until Mommy realized that was because my food was always in the bag and was always made in the USA. This time, to save space, she had bagged each day's allotment in a ziplock baggie and put my treats in another one.

It seemed strange that she could bring in beer, candies and other food for herself and her friends, but I could not bring in any of my own food.

Oh, well, I got to eat at a lot of burger joints because I refused to eat the stuff she had purchased from WalMart (the first place she could find on our first day).dogdog

Edited by author Sun May 6, '07 11:20pm PST

babyhuey(in- memory- of..5/8/06)

did you say- walk?
Barked: Tue May 8, '07 12:33am PST 
we've had several crossings in/out of canada. they haven't actually ever asked for our health certificates, but we've always had them. i think you generally must get them within 30 days of travel. we even crossed into the yukon on sept 11, 2001 and back in alaska on sept 12...no worries about the dog or cats when we crossed. there were alot of strange looks from the poor koreans that were forced to land in whitehorse as we were all carted in to the hotel there. luckily, we'd made hotel arrangements ahead of time. have a great time on your trip!! sounds like fun..


Bouncing Buggy
Barked: Tue May 8, '07 10:19am PST 
We used to go back and forth over the border every weekend. Most of the time they didn't even ask for our rabies certificates. But, it's still probably a good idea to have that along with your shot records. If your vet doesn't charge much for a health cert, then might as well get one of those too. All it takes is one border patrol agent in a bad mood to ruin your vacation. Also, you might want to mapquest who sells the dog food you usually buy because you can get in a lot of trouble for bringing that across.
Veronica &- Piccadilly

Let's Play
Barked: Tue May 8, '07 10:39am PST 
We have the paperwork done and the hotels booked... we'll be meeting up in West Yellowstone on June 7th.... cheerdancingsnoopypartyparty

It may never be the same....hailhail

Thanks for your input.... you're all awesome!


Happy- Pappy
Barked: Tue May 8, '07 7:29pm PST 
We have holiday'd across the border on many trips with the fur family. Nothing to be worried about. One mistake once was to have the rabies certificates filed away in the trailer, not handy, so it took a bit to find the papers the one time they asked for them! My suggestion is to have it handy and odds are they won't ask for it!
In January when we bought Raven from Seattle we had to drive back across the border with her. Canada customs searched our car for other papers to ensure we declared the correct price for her. Apparently a lot of people are caught lying about the price of their new pets. If Canada Customs are suspicious they take custody of the pets and it takes a day or two and a hefty fine to get the animals back. It isn't worth it...
Heads up, make sure you bring along the Canadian receipt if you are taking a new camera of anything else of high value. Canada Customs might argue that you purchased it in the States. My Dad ran into this problem once and ended up paying duty for his Canadian bought camera.
We are traveling to West Yellowstone in June too. We have been there in the winter snowmobiling and now wish to see it in the summer. I hope you have a great time. Maybe we will see you there.
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2