GO!

Foxxy and butterfly

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 1:29pm PST 
I have been raising black swallowtail butterflies. Today three of them emerged. This is one of them that I was watching because it came out with a malformed wing. Naturally Foxxy was curious about the new (brief) addition to our family while he pumped the fluids into his wings.

Foxxy inspecting a new butterfly
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 9:04am PST 
How exactly do you raise butterflies? Do you get them as caterpillars then watch them grow into butterflies? I know pretty much nothing about butterflies. =(
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 10:53am PST 
raising butterflies starts by growing their host plants in a region where they are likely to be. With black Eastern swallowtails that's, Parsley, rue, dill, queen anne's lace, carrots, parsnip, or other related plant grown in any region east of the Rocky mountains except florida

If you make a condition where the plants are slightly stressed, it's like a bat (butterfly) signal to the mama butterfly. For example, I live in an apartment in the middle of the city with none of these other plants within a mile of me, and mama swallowtail was drawn to my heat stressed parsley like a magnet. YOu can also feed her by setting out a butterfly feeding station, which is basically like a hummingbird one, sugar water in a mason jar, put a nail through the metal lid, thread a small square of kitchen sponge through the nail hole, and tighten the lid, then hang upside down.

The females will come and deposit eggs. From then it's just a matter of keeping them safe from predators and bad weather until they are ready to pupate. predators are wasps, vermin, and birds. Once they are ready, you can put them in little containers of their own, or put them in a big rubbermaid tote with sticks and they will climb up and pupate. a week or too later in the summer, they will start emerging. In the fall they will diapause until spring. It's totally fun to raise them. When they come out, they are super easy to handle, just let them crawl onto you and don't touch their wings. I was using a stick because it was more natural to crawl onto the stick first.

Caterpillars are awesome, because though they defoliate the host plant, the frass they make (that's their poo) is super rich fertilizer, and it smells like the host plant. Black swallowtail frass smells like minced parsley. If you find that they defoliate all your plants, buy organic from the store. Fortunately, curled parsley is usually very cheap.

I suppose you could buy them, but why? I was just doing this for fun I don't contain them any more than necessary. some people actually make a business of growing them for release at weddings and stuff.

Edited by author Fri Aug 16, '13 10:55am PST

[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 3:47am PST 
I wish my dogs had an attention span like that.......laugh out loud That is so cute.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 3:10pm PST 
Foxy, that is very interesting. Do you do this in all of the 3 ways you just described ? I thought all butterflies started off as caterpillars.
[notify]