GO!

Man defends decision to tattoo puppy

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 6:40pm PST 
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about this news story:

http://screen.yahoo.com/man-defends-decision-tattoo-puppy- 233433944.html

Basically, guys tattoos his own puppy. Not a normal ID tattoo on the ear but something that looks more like a tramp stamp to me. He said he took the 4 month old American Bully to the vet to have her ears done, she was still asleep when he took her home so he tattooed her.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with ID tattoos on the ear or spay tattoos on a dogs belly or things of that nature but this just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's because I don't like the super tight ear crop that he got for the dog, the fact that his male dog is not neutered or because I think it's really not likely that the vet sent his puppy home if she was still out enough for him to tattoo her without hurting her. I just don't see why in the world doing something like that is necessary. There are plenty of other ways to put identification on your dog.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:22am PST 
Wow, what a great new fad for dogs. naughty Just as docking & cropping is starting to get banned people start tattooing.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 10:54am PST 
I don't know of any vet out here that will release an animal before it comes out of the anesthesia.
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 6:38pm PST 
I don't know any vet that would release a dog that's not out of anesthesia either.......Also, do you know any vet that would cut a dog's ears like that? My vet won't.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 6:59pm PST 
I kinda laughed when i saw this. because when I was 16. I had this idea that it would make my first dog whicih at the time was going to be a rottie look so much "COOLER" if he had a tatoo on him.

I still remember the WTF? look on my friend's face when i told her that. She told me it was dumb. And I have this thing about tattoos so I couldn't imagine how it would look stupid + it would make my dog 100% unique.

Needless to say at 23 and seeing someone else who's done such a thing to their dog. I can obviously say now my friend was right. And i'm happy i dodged that bullet. relieved

Thankfully dogs don't care about trampstamps.

While it wasn't a bright idea. it's done and the dog isn't suffering. Other owners have done dumber things and killed there dogs like the guy who gave his mastiff cosmetic surgury and killed it or botox and stuff. So while this is idiotic at least the dog is okay.

Though this is one of those learn for the village idiot moments in my opinion. Let's not do what he did. Ever ever again big grin
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 7:32pm PST 
From what I hear, some vets have allowed tattoo artists to do their work at the clinic while the animal is still under. Personally, I don't like tattoos at all (though my rabbit does have an identifying tattoo in his ear, it was done before I got him, I don't consider that cruel)...however, he isn't the first to do this, and I don't think it was cruel or deserving of all the hate he is getting. Honestly, I'm surprised this is even news.

It was ironic to me how the article on Dogster lambasted him for the tattoo, but just mentioned the cropping in passing, like that was no problem at all. Soo, get upset by the tattoo, but cutting off the ears doesn't matter? If you're not going to be upset by that, or reason that away, I don't think you (general you) have any room to judge on the tattoo.shrug Just my opinion.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 5:19pm PST 
Wait, what was that about the mastiff that died from plastic surgery? I didn't hear about that.

I don't think it's animal cruelty, I just think it's stupid. His whole attitude really annoyed me.

Edited by author Wed Apr 3, '13 5:20pm PST

[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 12:37am PST 
The mastiff - http://www.dogster.com/the-scoop/tibetan-mastiff-dies-during-plastic -surgery-in-china

A cosmetic dog doctor- http://www.dogster.com/the-scoop/edgard-brito-cosmetic-plastic-surge ry-for-dogs

This is what i was talking about. Dogster ran some articles a few months ago about dogs that get cosmetic surgury to win awards or get their owners more "stud" Money.

And i think twisiter is right. i'm a bit more outraged about the ears then the tramp stamp.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 11:14am PST 
The guy is an idiot! Period! naughty I don't understand "altering" your dogs appearance. Why can't people just appreciate the dogs for who they are... way to go
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 5:36pm PST 
Great, why don't you gauge your cats ears while you're at it? If people want to get body modifications it's up to them...even find Skryllex kinda cute...but don't inflict it on your pets please.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2