GO!

Things you've given up for your dog

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 3:06pm PST 
What have you had to give up since you got your dog(s)?
Had to or voluntarily gave up.

I gave up my morning trips to the gym. For 10 years I was a 3-4 day a week morning gym rat. Loved it. Once I got Mikey, my mornings were taken up with walks. (Yes, I could get up an hour or two earlier, but I'm not a 5am riser).
I still don't go to the gym now that I have Moose. His morning walk takes up my a.m. free time and his super long evening walks eats up a chunk of p.m. time. I wish I had it in me to work out at night.

I need to get on a workout routine again and it got me thinking about how easily I gave up the gym.

I've kind of given up travel. I don't look to go away for more than 3 days. I hate being away from my boy. Once he's older I hope to be over that and get some serious travel in.

I also gave up having a clean floor and a clean car. Vacuuming/mopping isn't just a quick thing anymore. It's a serious chore.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 3:39pm PST 
I've given up travel too. I even know someone who owns a reputable boarding kennel but don't want to leave him there because I'm afraid of blowing his mind.

Because of the loose dogs in the neighbourhood I've also given up our afternoon walks. He got attacked too many times and it was too stressful for him. So now we walk at night, sometimes 12 am lol.

I've also given up the hope of a second dog because I don't think he could deal with it.

Otherwise my life is pretty much the same.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 5:12pm PST 
I've given up being away from the house for more than 3 hours. We travel...but we have a 5th wheel so we can take the dogs with us. Schedules certainly change and revolve around our dogs (kids).
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:39am PST 
Um, a good portion of my pay check.laugh out loud
[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:21am PST 
applauselaugh out loudbig laugh
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:18am PST 
haha Sanka, me too!

I've given up sleeping in in the mornings, And going out after work with coworkers since there's no one else here to let the dogs out.

Given up fur-free clothes, and a clean house/car...
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:18am PST 
I used to read more. Most of that time is taken up doing dog stuff and now I tend to read about dog stuff. I also give up a good percentage of my paycheck ha ha. (THe poster who said that is spot on...) It's much better for me to be less sedentary, much more active since Lu came into my life. I hiked before, but not daily.

Honestly there's not too much that I enjoy doing that Lu doesn't want to do. Being outside, hiking and exploring are my favorite things and it's much better with a dog who loves it as much as I do.

You can have a lot of fun travelling with even a big dog. Lu's 80lbs, we all travel in a camper on vacations. She has a blast and so do we. Give it a shot someday...there are more and more dog-friendly spots opening up all the time. Some dogs' behavior actually shapes up during travel. It's like Lucille decides to put her best foot forward and makes me proud each time.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:29pm PST 
I've given up vacations, a clean house and dog hairless clothes. I don't trust anyone to watch our dogs. One time we boarded a Golden we had. One of the workers beat him with a stick. I was heart broken. So I don't trust anyone. But that's ok, because my dogs are the highlight of my days...........smile dancing
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:01pm PST 
I've given up a lot of money, as well as some of my freedom!

I'm 23! People will invite me out, and instead of being like "ehh, sure." I think "Who would watch babycakes?" I rarely go out and do anything, and if I do it's planned well in advance! I'd rather be with him anyway. He's super fun!

I gave up relaxing when I get home half the time. It's freezing out, but Abner wanted a walk. We went on a walk.

What you give up is worth having these monsters!
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:58pm PST 
I GAVE UP MY LIFE. Just kidding. Kind of. smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3