GO!

Disabled Veteran Mistreated by United Airlines.

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 8:49pm PST 
The Article will tell you the details...

But I can c/p them here too.

A disabled veteran and founder of the non-profit organization, Paws and Stripes, is still reeling from poor treatment that he, and his service dog, received from airline employees on a recent trip to Tennessee.

The man at the heart of the turmoil is Jim Stanek, a man who served three tours of duty in Iraq and who still suffers from PTSD and the effects of a traumatic brain injury.

The airline in question is United Airlines.

Not quite one week ago, Stanek and his service dog, Sarge, were traveling via United Airlines when they encountered unbelievable behavior from several airline employees at the Dulles Airport on their return flight home.

While at the airport, while dealing with flight cancellations and delays, two separate airline employees kicked his service dog and one United Airline employee asked him if he was "retarded," after Stanek asked for help with reading a reservation email.

The employees who kicked the service dog claimed that they were "startled" by her presence. One of the kicks was hard enough to cause the frightened dog to leap into Stanek's lap.

Finally, after 48 hours of delays, insults and mistreatment, two helpful United Airlines employees witnessed Stanek's struggles and they were finally able to come to Stanek's aid.

The employees were able to get Stanek booked onto another airline and facilitated his ability to finally get back home. By the time he was boarded for the final leg of his journey, his traumatized dog was a quaking mess.

Today, Stanek is amazed and disheartened over the callous behavior by the employees that he encountered.

Stanek would like for United Airlines to look into their practices and learn from the gross mistakes that took place during his recent travels.

He is hopeful that there will be greater understanding by airline employees for those individuals who have disabilities that are not as apparent as a missing limb - disabilities like his own traumatic brain injury and PTSD.

His video about the events can be found here.

I think this is RIDICULOUS. The treatment of him and his Service Dog are just... terrible. Sadly, I also am aware this kind of treatment happens frequently to those with Service Dogs. I am disgusted by their treatment of him and his dog however and KICKING his dog? Ugh...
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 4:32pm PST 
I just saw this on Facebook. Hopefully all the people sharing and supporting this man and his dog will lead somewhere. What a disgrace!cry
[notify]