GO!

Police dog bites man at Walmart!

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 4:22pm PST 
This doesn't really look like a case of a dog that is badly trained in a traditional sense. But yes the the bail out training is controversial even among some k9 officers. It doesn't always produce a stable dog... though this one doesn't sound particularly unstable.

That the dog was able to be called off as easily (57 seconds from the start of incident means the dog came right off the bite) Means obviously the officer had wonderful control of this dog. I've seen dogs and handlers that had to be completely choked off the subject and in my opinion that is completely unacceptable.

A lot of the K9's in my area are extremely stable. Actually one of the Duel purpose shepherd mal crosses is one of the few non family dogs that I'll actually allow to play with my service/assistance dog. Granted the county K9 unit director was originally Dutch and I think that affects a lot of how the dogs in not only the sheriff's office but the local city police K9 are handled.
[notify]
Morrison

Hello, I Love- You

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 7:21am PST 
I have seen some even tempered K9s, I have seen all out aggressive at everything/everyone K9s, and I have seen totally batcrap crazy K9s. I think it not only depends on the Units training abilities. But the cop the dog is assigned to and his relationship with the dog.

I live right across the street from the Police impound and so they bring their K9 units in and out alot to sniff out drugs ect on cars.

One time a particularly smart couple of teens got stopped right infront of my house for what I am guessing was suspicion of drug use. I watched the K9 vechicle pull up and the cop literally had to drag a VERY timid acting black Gsd out of the car. When he wasent dragging her she was cowering/crawl walking anywhere but towards the car that belonged to the teens. Eventually the dog did circle the car and sniff ect. But still to me it didn't seem like normal K9 behavior.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2