GO!

Kind of OT for anywhere, but need to VENT

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 7:00am PST 
I dont even know where to put this...it actually probably doesn't even belong here but rather on the CrazyNeigbor.com page. smile I live on a cul de sac so in theory I should be able to enjoy what goes along with that. Me and my dogs usually go the local dog park for the majority of exercise and my oldest, 13 year old Buffy enjoys hanging out in the backyard. I'm partially disabled so dont get out as much as I'd like. Bella - my new pup gets taken out front several times a day to potty and plays out back for a majority of the time. So - to get my youngest learning about being a responsible "owner" (shes 8+) I have her walk bella around the cul de sac sidewalk a few times a week after school. Literally once around. I dont want her leaving the cul de sac because I cant see past it and wouldnt want her to encounter another dog since shes not ready for that. Shes outside for about 3-5 minutes and thats a high estimate. Bella doesnt potty anywhere but our yard and doesnt bark. Last week the neighbor across the way yelled at my 8 year old for walking the dog past her house and "making" her dog bark. I let it go. But then yesterday she called me on the phone and told me I needed to come up with a solution.She wants me to walk the dog outside the cul de sac. Umm, no. Maybe work on not having your dog bark. Close your front door? Its 30 degrees out. I dont tell your kids to all go in the house because it makes my dogs bark 50 times a day. I could understand if my daughter was stopping in front of her house or allowing Bella to potty there. But it literally a quick circuit done a few times a week at a reasonable time of day. Maybe I'm being stubborn. But no - I wont change this chore. Thanks for hearing me out.silenced
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 8:23am PST 
Your daughter is doing NOTHING wrong walking past someone's house. She doesn't OWN the sidewalk!! That's crazy.
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 11:07am PST 
Oooooh, heck no! I live on a cul-de-sac too. There are 14 houses and over 20 kids. There is all sorts of craziness that goes on here daily. Not only are kids running up and down the street playing, but my doorbell rings multiple times a day during the summer to see if my kids can go play, to see if I have extra ice pops, lemonade, sidewalk chalk, band-aids, etc. If my dog barked every time someone passed in front of our house, I would go crazy. It's not your daughter's fault that your neighbor's dog isn't trained. If talking to her doesn't work, I would tell her the next time, you will call the police for harassment. She sounds like a bully that thinks she owns the sidewalk!
[notify]

Bella

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 1:17pm PST 
Its not like I dont empathize with her. My dogs bark too. It can get old. She knows I have 3 dogs that bark - shes been to my door. She also knows that I am very careful with them as far as them getting loose or anything like that. However - my husband has returned HER dog to their house no fewer than 3 times. I have shooed her from my front yard several times as well. Not once did I complain or even consider it. Plus the other things that have happened that are non-dog related so I'm not going there. Thanks for hearing me out.
[notify]
Otis

Champion of- sleeping cutely

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 2:33pm PST 
I have a rather nasty neighbor, too, so I completely sympathize.

There is one girl who yells at me and Oats when we pass by her house. She says stuff about how dumb Oats is or how vicious he is and how we should stay off their property (Me and Oats are walking on the sidewalk and his favorite side to walk is the right, so I walk such that the strip of grass between sidewalk and road is on my right side). I am a nervous, shy person and Oats is rather sensitive as well, so when she yells at me and Oats, it makes Oats get real bad on the leash and reactive. The girl is mean to me just because she can make me upset and panicky. She also does stuff like making her bike come really close to Oats on purpose while we are walking and then yelling at us about how vicious Oats is when he reacts.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 3:13pm PST 
Wow - I thought I had it bad...at least shes not nasty to me. Shes more passive-aggressive than anything and its a constant annoyance. If she were mean or rude I would lose it. Well - heres to dreams to pleasant neighbors!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 5:54pm PST 
That's why I love living in the country!way to go I'm the type of person if they said don't walk in front of my house, I would be out there 16 times a day. Just to drive THEM nuts! laugh out loud
[notify]
Otis

Champion of- sleeping cutely

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 6:02pm PST 
Most of the time, passive-aggressive goes over my head, LOL. But I hope your neighbor stops being like that to your daughter. That part bugged me the most in your situation.

I agree that your neighbor could do something about their dog. I know Oats barks at only a certain dog that passes our house. When he sees this dog, he has some build up with snorting and pacing. I simply put him in his crate so he can't look out the window. Maybe you can suggest something similar. It literally takes three minutes MAXIMUM of Oats in his crate and I prevent a half hour of Oats having a meltdown (he REALLY dislikes this dog). I see your neighbor's suggestion as the longer road to fixing the problem, the more complicated solution.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 7:13pm PST 
Oh gosh, if I called everybody who walked by my house and made my dog bark, I'd be making a lot of phone calls!

Hopefully the lady was just having a stressful day/week or something where the barking dog put her over the top.shrug Just grasping at straws. If she truly thinks people shouldn't walk by her house because it makes her dog unruly, then she's in for a rude awakening.
[notify]
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 4:15am PST 
Just a thought for dealing with passive aggressives-
Since she's nice enough normally, tell her that your teaching your daughter to be a responsible owner by keeping her dog on a leash and under control for exercise. For the safety of the child and dog you need her within eye distance in her neighborhood and from now on you would be happy to give your neighbor a call before the walk so she can put her dog up to prevent it from barking if she likes.
Not only are you being courteous, it makes her take ownership of HER problem!wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2