GO!

Westminster is almost here... :)

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 12:27pm PST 
Since I was a little girl, I love this show. Cannot wait to see it. 2/13 and 2/14. Weird how they have to split it between 2 stations though thinking
[notify]
Molly

Molly - wants to be with- the people

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 2:38pm PST 
I too enjoy the Westminster show. I've never been there in person only from the chair in my TV room, but I still enjoy seeing the different breeds and watching my favorites compete. I would not want to be a judge with so many beautiful dogs competing for the same honor.blue dog
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 7:06pm PST 
Here I am watching Westminster and since I know nothing about showing dogs, here comes a rookie question--
Are the judges aware of the names of the dogs they're judging?
I ask that because of hearing people say that there are judges, in shows in general, that play favorites. If the judges don't know who they're judging, how do they play favorites?
[notify]

Ch. Opal - BN, RE, CGC

this is the good- life

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 7:09pm PST 
Enjoying watching westminster right know cheering on peis got Jaynes aunt sleeping on the couch along side my terrier mix
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 7:31pm PST 
I saw that Jayne won best of breed again, woot!

Really liking the Norwegian Lundehund!! So cute!
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 8:45pm PST 
I always think the dog show is fun, however I'm disappointed that they didn't want pedigree adoption ads aired during the show.
Personally, I prefer showing the happy side of adoption rather than the sad ASPCA/Human Society type ads, but I think Pedigree does an awesome job of showing the happy side without ignoring the plight of these unwanted animals. I mean who will ever forget when Echo got adopted? smile

What do y'all think?

full article
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 9:42pm PST 
"Are the judges aware of the names of the dogs they're judging? I ask that because of hearing people say that there are judges, in shows in general, that play favorites. If the judges don't know who they're judging, how do they play favorites?"

They may be, they may not be. It depends on if they were keeping track of breed wins or not. Generally speaking if it's 'their breed/group' they know the dogs and if you judge that group frequently, you'll know the dogs by the handlers or even the dog itself if it's a standout. The show dog world isn't huge and the professionally campaigned dogs (who are usually the ones with enough points to make it into the massive shows) get to be known. I'm not into show dogs and there are a few dogs I can identify purely because they're campaigned a lot and I see them win at show clusters etc. The Min Pin BOB Classie I've seen multiple times and could pick out of a crowd easily.

To avoid bias, the BIS judge is traditionally sequestered away and has no idea who he/she is judging until he/she gets there. They haven't seen the earlier breed groupings etc so there can be no theoretical bias.

Is there bias in dog shows? Absolutely. Is it as big a deal as people make it out to be? No idea. I doubt it but in some cases it may well be a forgone conclusion as to who will win particularly in smaller shows. The bigger names are just better known.

My money is on Malachy or Capi for this year. Malachy is the favorite to win I think but a winning herder would be a nice change. My pet breeds will never win which is cool with me. I'd just as soon they not gain the notoriety.

I like the Pedigree adoption ads. They aren't as depressing and upsetting to young children as the ASPCA commercials are (I have serious issues with those commercials but I digress). As for Westminster not wanting to show them... I get it. They are first and foremost a registry. Their job is to promote purebreds. Their purpose isn't rescue. They let the breed clubs deal with that. Is it right? Eh... It would be nice if they took an interest in all dogs but that's not their bag so okay... that's fine. It doesn't thrill me to give them money for competitions but I offset it by donating my time and spare change to dogs from rescue.

Also, Martha Stewart's dog was BOB for Chows. Strange.

Edited by author Mon Feb 13, '12 9:56pm PST

[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 5:54am PST 
O-M-G!! I was so tired from work (shift change) that I FORGOT to watch last night! naughtynaughty Gaaaa! I wrote it on my hand so I don't forget tonight! laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 8:18am PST 
I didn't even know when it was on, I accidentally happened upon it last night. Then it goes off right before the toy group, I missed they said they were changing to another station =[ BUT I found it again, it came back on at 7 a.m. so I woke up and watched it XD I was hoping to see more poms =/ I'm not sure how dog shows work or how the dogs are chosen out of the many but I saw more than one of a single breed being shown. Oh well, maybe next year! [assuming its annually, lol] I wouldn't be surprised if Malachy the pek won!
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 4:27pm PST 
Do the judges know the dogs? Yes, all the pro handlers advertise and the judges get those magazines and look through them. Also they know the handlers, I have heard judges call the handlers by their first name in the ring. It is to bad that they go more by who is on the end of the lead and not by the dog. This is one reason why dog show numbers are going down and the people who run the shows are complaining they are not making then money they were in years past.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5