GO!

ethical dilemma

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 2:47pm PST 
I may sound like a nut here but I'm gonna throw this out there anyways.

My 3 year old son is supposed to be going on a field trip next month with his preschool class. The trip is to Uncle Bill's Pet Store. This chain of stores has been written up by local news teams for obtaining their puppies through puppy mills here in Indiana. It's bugging me that the school is taking the kids there. We live 3 minutes away from this place and I've seen the protesters outside and have had to explain it to my kids (in an age appropriate way). Part of me just wants to keep him out of school that day and have our own little field trip. Maybe I can arrange a trip to a rescue organization or volunteer for the day somewhere with my son.

Am I just over-reacting?
[notify]
Mayhem

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 3:30pm PST 
I wouldn't go either (I am also a parent) and if anyone asked I would inform them about pet stores and puppy mills and how terrible of a industry it is. It's a shame how many people still aren't informed about it but no, I don't think you are over-reacting at all.

Edited by author Sun Jan 22, '12 3:31pm PST

[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 4:01pm PST 
I agree! I wouldn't go either! way to go You may want to inform the school that they have been in the media for purchasing puppy mill dogs and that they shouldn't expose children to this type of thing...
[notify]

Luke

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 4:32pm PST 
YEAH! I emailed the Alliance for Responsible Pet Ownership here in Indianapolis. I explained the situation and told them I was looking for a volunteer opportunity for my 3 year old. The President emailed me right back and said because they foster all their dogs, there isn't an actual shelter where we can help out. BUT, she offered to make my little Wyatt a leash holder on adoption day!! They will pair him with a calm, appropriately sized dog and he will be responsible for holding his leash and telling people about the dog. Obviously, I will be with Wyatt the whole time. But what a great thing for him! I'm super happy about this! She also told me to call the humane society and explain my situation. dancing
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 6:10pm PST 
That sounds awesome! cheerway to go Little man should be proud! hamster dance
[notify]
Luke

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 6:32am PST 
I talked to his teacher this morning and she said that she respects my decision and thanked me for letting her know. Apparently, I'm the second mom to tell her this. Maybe more will come forward and they will rethink this yearly trip!
[notify]