GO!

Adobe Photoshop - Which program is best for me?

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
♥ The- Doogers- ♥

Babe, Molly and- Houndy

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 4:39pm PST 
I'm thinking of getting Adobe Photoshop for Christmas, it's super expensive, but I've heard it is so worth it!

All I want to have Adobe for is to be able to edit pictures and make them look amazing and professional. I also want to make backgrounds for my Dogster pages. Those are the only things I want to do.

So, which Adobe program would suit me?

Thanks! hug
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 5:05pm PST 
What you want to do is pretty straight forward and really you don't need to drop that kind of money to do it. (The Full version of PS runs about $600 depending on the licensing) Don't get me wrong, PS is awesome but it's extremely expensive for what you want to use it for.

GIMP is free, excellent and has a nearly identical layout to the full version of photoshop.

If you really want Adobe don't bother with the full, get the latest version of Elements and that should do all that you want and more.

Elements also has a less sharp learning curve than standard PS though you're still going to want to look up some tutorials etc.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 7:12am PST 
I got photoshop for a class. I would say the basic functions it does for photos that most people would use can be found in free programs. If you're going into extreme details, then the free programs in general don't have them. But even in the class I took, the teacher never touched a lot of what was provided because it made such minuscule changes. It really wasn't worth it.

I will say that I like photoshop's layout a lot better than the free programs, GIMP especially.

You can also get more help easily on photoshop if you have a question. I've found a lot more "how to" articles via photoshop than anything else.

The only problem is what version of photoshop as so many people use older ones still. The functions are usually the same, but the layout changes, so it may be hard to find things if asking.
[notify]

Otis

Champion of- sleeping cutely

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 7:55am PST 
I have GIMP! I used to use Photoshop Elements and that has all that you want to use for, but GIMP is fuller and free. Both programs have a steep learning curve no matter which one you get. Photoshop (full version) is more conducive to digital painting, but I use Paint Tool SAI for that now, which had a free trial and I liked the product so I paid the full price which is awesome.

Between Paint Tool SAI and GIMP, you get most of the features of a full photoshop. Also, GIMP can use photoshop files and brushes and stuff, so I recommend it.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 9:31am PST 
i have photoshop cs4, but for what you describe, it way more than you need.

if you're looking to make simple photo edits and some cgi stuff, i think a good alternative is OpenCanvas and it's way cheaper. I've sometimes preferred OpenCanvas when doing free-form CGI with my tablet, even.
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 11:44am PST 
Definitely try out the free stuff first. Then move to Photoshop Elements. Then, if you get hooked, get the full version. Its an intense program and most folks really don't need all of it.

I've been using Photoshop for about 20 years now. Its my forte (I'm a graphic artist). But I'll admit that I don't like ponying up that dough for my home uses.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 5:48am PST 
I agree with Tobi. We have CS5 extended and love it, but it isn't a user friendly program. Be sure you know what you are getting before dropping a lot of money.

If you do get photoshop, get a good book on how to operate it and think about looking for an older addition. It can be a lot cheaper for your first photoshop.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Wed Dec 21, '11 7:54am PST 
The full version of Adobe Photoshop is going to be way more than you need. As others have stated, you'd probably be just as fine with Photoshop Elements or Corel Paint Shop Pro. Both of those run about $100 and should be plenty good enough for what you are looking for.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 1:26pm PST 
Sadly, I learned with an old microsoft program, Picture it. It is no longer available but there are still a few copies out there.
Because I learned with this program and I am old and don't re-learn stuff well, I have stuck with it in spite of owning a copy of Elements and a couple others like corel and such. Sadly, Picture It doesn't have many tools in common with photo shop... and what they do, they identify by a different name, so it doesn't carry over, BUT it currently does what I want so I guess it's okay for me.
Fortunately, my old copy of Picture It has made the upgrade to Windows 7 and 64 bit, so hopefully it will still keep working as I upgrade my computers in the future.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 3:35pm PST 
You asked the same question in one of the other forums(Plus Fun) and folk did answer you there as well.. including myself... this was my answer last Monday...

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements v6 and v8.

I use it daily... ALOT......I make freebies and have the kits on a blog. I make graphics every day and make custom cards (whiuch arent free!)with those graphics.

I LOVE the Adobe. Takes getting past being scared of it.. and once you do.. its GREAT ! There are zillions of online tutorials as well

It also doesnt have to be expensive. There are very good deals on older versions. They are up to v.10 now.. but frankly my v6 and v8 are working perfectly on both my XP and Windows 7 computers. Possibly v6 wont upgrade to Windows 8 when it comes out.. v.8 should do. Version 10.. the present one.... has very little new on it for the casual user.

Here is a link to some good deals.

Adobe Photoshop Elements Deals
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3