GO!

The things we do for our canine friends...

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 4:15am PST 
Being a Texan, I am not used to temperatures that go below 50 degrees. It's freezing tonight. I wanted to take Lobo out and let him run for several hours, but I was shivering and my legs were going numb after only an hour D: Still, I tried to run for a little bit. Unfortunately, Lobo didn't really get near as much exercise as he really needed. I'll take him out again when the sun is up, though.

And this really got me thinking. We do a lot of things for our dogs, that a lot of people would call us crazy for - like sitting in the freezing weather, shivering and coughing (I also have asthma that gets worse in winter) for an hour while out best friend goes to play. But really, it's just a small sacrifice to me. My asthma is not life-threatening at all - just an annoyance. I don't think there's really anything that I wouldn't do for Lobo, honestly.

But I look it as any other relationship. You have to make compromises sometimes. I'm sure living with me can be hard for him. Me being susceptible to sicknesses means he doesn't always get all the exercise he really needs (although I do try very hard, and always make sure he has several 5-minute training sessions and some fun games of fetch and tug-o-war) so I'm sure there are times when he just wants to go run. I'm happy he's such a wonderful dog. I don't care about these sacrifices I've made. He's repaid me more than I could have ever hoped for.
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 11:11am PST 
We're also in Texas and last night it was 26 here with 15mph winds which made for a very fun walk although it was cold enough that our Husky was ready to go back in after 20 minuteslaugh out loud
I have bad dog allergies that really bother me in the fall and winter as well as asthma and right now bronchitis and was still out in the rain this morning to walk the dogswink
My entire family thinks I'm nuts
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 12:28pm PST 
Hahaha. Oh my. Lobo had an absolute blast in that cold, since our house is usually quite hot. I can't wait for it to snow, though! He'll have so much fun, and even I'll have fun taking him out and running around in the snow.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 12:54pm PST 
Hey, you Texans... it was 55 at 9 pm up here in New Hampshire last night, BOL!! We are NOT COMPLAINING, mind you! The last time I went to Texas they also had record snow fall in Austin.
However, when it's cold we do lots and lots of play fetch with chuckit's and other things you can toss without removing your gloves! Also, cuddle duds are GREAT and k-mart now carries them around here. Make sure you wear a good hat that covers your ears, a scarf for your neck and that your feet are DRY! Warm feet, warm head and warm hands will keep you warm all over. Remember the layering too... a sweater over a turtleneck over a t-shirt with a jacket or other windbreak is much warmer than just the sweater and jacket. Layers trap air which insulates you. No better socks than smartwool, IMO, if fact those seem to be a universal well accepted Christmas present up here in the freezing North.
Since I have small toy breeds I can take them to work and let them run around in our daycare room... that sure helps, but I even wear my cuddle duds to work!!
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 1:07pm PST 
We got a light dusting of snow monday morning but it was melted by noon, did get a few pictures big grin hopefully can get them posted soon
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 5:11pm PST 
Took Lobes out three times. Once for an hour and a half, again for about thirty-forty minutes, and again for maybe another hour. He's still ready for more, haha. Will probably take him out around 4am again. He seemed to really enjoy that. I might even take him around the block tonight before bed. He's getting a bit obsessive and started chasing his tail. He's excited for the winter, obviously. Hopefully I can get him tired enough today, but I kind of doubt it D: I'll try to take him out for longer.

And I'll keep all of that in mind. Makes sense that keeping the extremities warm will keep everything else warm, too, haha.
[notify]
Sara

Live life to the- fullest

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 9:49pm PST 
If Sara needs to go out during the night and can't get me awake she stands on my chest. Now this gets me up as she weighs 50 pounds. I stagger up and let her out. When there's snow on the ground, she has to take a roll in it before coming in, which means I have to get awake enough to dry her body and feet. When we wake up in the morning it's back out again (both of us) to check out the yard and then in, another dry off, and I make coffee. If I dare sit on the sofa before the coffee's made she piles against me for her morning nap which limits my second cup of coffee. When I don't want to, she lays her chin on my knee, looks soulful, and begs for a ride (I didn't know I wanted a ride until I see her sitting in the passenger seat looking out the window watching the world). Somehow all the changes in my lifestyle don't seem to matter when she lets me know I'm the most important thing in the world and that she wants to share her doggie world with me, not the carpet that gets dirty a lot sooner, the bed hogging, the amazing amount of dog hair that reappears right after sweeping, and those cold winter night trips or mosquito bite summer night trips. It's pretty nice to have my dog pal.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 12:02am PST 
Sara sounds so cute, haha!

I sleep on the couch a lot, and I remember once waking up to Lobo curled up right next to my head. It was very adorable. If I'm on the smaller loveseat, he'll jump up and lay on my legs. Don't you just love big dogs who think they belong on top of you? Haha.

Once, I went camping with my dad, brother, boyfriend, and Lobo. I sleep during car rides (I get sick, so my body just kind of shuts down so I can't feel the car), and I was laying across the backseat with my head in my boyfriend's lap. I wake up and feel something heavy on my side, look up, and there's Lobo, napping away like it's totally normal. It was so cute. He ended up getting off, though, because I move a lot once I'm actually awake.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 1:27pm PST 
Sometimes it gets in the low 20's at night here, but low 30's are more normal. If it's "too cold" for me and Conker wants to go for a walk what do I do? Pop out the snowboarding gear XD
[notify]
Gracie

Tricks ? - You can't be- serious.....

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 9:52am PST 
Enduring all sorts of weather reminds me of the old post-office mooto......something like, neither wind, rain, sleet or dark of night..." of all the weather we venture out in with our fur babies! Under the topic of Things we do....I have a very nice tendy leather purse/bag I bought for work and attached to it is a very red fire hydrant. My good friend - non-pet-owning w/extremly clean house - says "that's cute - did it come with the purse"? Nope I tell her & shake my head - it's to carry Gracie & Bo-Bo's poop bags.....and to her total look of horror, I did point out that the fire hydrant and purse do match!

dog walk
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2