GO!

GPS Collars

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Max

Lifes a Beach -

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 4:58am PST 
Not sure if this is the correct place for the this post, but here i go. I am considering getting Max a GPS collar. I do want to point out that I am not looking for hunting collar. I am more interested in the collars like the Zoombak, I want to recieve alerts letting me know Max is still in the yard. Has anyone had any experience with these? Which one is the best? Thank you!!!
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 5:32pm PST 
The October issue of Dog Fancy has a good article about GPS collars. It said some of the collars have a monthly fee between $15-$20, and sometimes an activation fee. The RoamEO Pet Monitor System is $279, and has no monthly fee. The Garmin Astro collar has no monthly fee, but it's $650! eek

I think they're an AWESOME idea...but I've seen pictures of them on the dogs...they look a little bulky and uncomfortable. I think it depends on which one you get, though. Some of them are a little less intrusive looking than others.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 10:41pm PST 
I was reading up a bit on this one the other day:
http://www.pettracker.com/pet-gps

It clips onto the dog's collar so it's not bulky. You can also set a range that your dog is supposed to stay within and it will send you a text or email if the dog leaves that area.

But I haven't done any kind of extensive research on GPS collars so I don't know if it's any better than what you're looking at.
[notify]

Max

Lifes a Beach -

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 3:20am PST 
Thanks! I'll pick up an issue of Dog Fancy when i go to the store later. I am looking at all of them, there just doesnt seem to be any top contender that i have saw. I have looked at the pettracker, but i just dont know which one works the best.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 10:14am PST 
Let me know if you get one. I was considering getting a GPS collar for Sanka so I could let him off leash in certain areas. He doesn't run away, just wanders around, and I can lose track of him. But GPS would be great.

But like you, I was just a bit confused. What would work best and more importantly, price!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 3:55am PST 
I'm interested too. I like to disappear in the woods, especially at night. Our woods are fenced, but it would make my person feel better to know where abouts in the woods I had gotten too.
[notify]
Max

Lifes a Beach -

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 2:55am PST 
Fritz one of the hunting collars might work for you...this one has pretty good reviews on Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Tracking-Bundle-Wireless-Transmitter/dp /B003SVQSSG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317289977&sr=8-3 - Sorry dont know how to do the link thingy, it seems that the hunting collars have a bigger fan base than the other ones.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 8:50am PST 
i've always thought this was a great idea. you're pretty much guaranteed to find him/her should they get lost. i would probably spring for one of the 'no monthly cost' ones despite the high upfront cost.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 4:58pm PST 
Since this thread was bumped, my brother bought me the zoomback thing for Sanka as a gift. I had him return it though because of the monthly fee and how it just wasn't practical for me.

You have to have a computer or a smartphone in order to know the location of the dog. I don't have a smartphone, and if he got out while I wasn't home, I'd never know.

I was really hoping for more the hunting style GPS where it came with the actual handheld device that'd pinpoint the location rather than relying on some other service.

Plus the monthly fee just wasn't worth it. Sanka doesn't get out, so it's not like a necessity. It would just be nice to have if on the off chance it did happen, given Sanka will wander off. Totally not worth the extra $360 a year or whatever the fees were.
[notify]