GO!

Free roaming chickens are a real problem for dogs.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 11:14am PST 
Post removed due to some of the responses to it actually promoting dog shootings!!
(The comments not promoting dog shooting and the ones about how shooting in residential areas is dangerous in general are appreciated.)

Edited by author Thu Oct 17, '13 4:42pm PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 11:29am PST 
Where I live, if a chicken leaves the owner's property and is killed by a dog, the owner of the chicken has no recourse. It is the owner's responsibility to contain livestock.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 2:09pm PST 
Same here.

The problem is, most dogs will go after the chicken and end up chasing it to the owner's land and find the motherload of chickens, and well...that's where they're found. I keep a mental check of where the free range chickens are here and keep the dogs close when we walk by.

Really, the free range chickens don't wander that far from home, so it's not that big of a deal here at least.
[notify]

Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 12:57am PST 
I had a really long, six paragraph reply all typed out and was about to hit "post now", when I decided to just delete the whole thing and sum it up with this:

If the dogs themselves hadn't been free roaming in the first place, they wouldn't have been shot by some "mental case" trying to protect his livestock or pets, now would they?

shrug

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 12:07pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 5:48am PST 
I'm with Tasha... I have chickens, they ARE free roaming and ALL my neighbors have dogs. I have never had any issue with losing roaming chickens to a dog.
The chickies learn to avoid the places where there are confined dogs barking at them and all is well and peaceful, at least in our neighborhood.

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 12:07pm PST

[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 7:45am PST 
Totally agree with Tasha and Toto. Was going to reply earlier, but was trying to think why it was okay for the dogs to be roaming and not the chickens...

I can see your point if the chicken got into wherever the dog was being contained, but not if the dog is not securely contained to where it can easily get out and slaughter all the chickens. And especially not if the dog was not contained in the first place.shrug

ETA: You may see them as only nuisances...but many people care about their 'livestock' (ps, not everyone sees them as livestock, they can be pets just like cats and dogs) just as much as we do our dogs, and they are perfectly within their rights to protect them.

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 12:09pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 1:07pm PST 
It is extremely expensive to keep a flock of chickens, even free range chickens, and when someone allows their dog to get into a flock and desimate the flock it is about a year's expense to grow up more to make up that loss in production.
I cannot understand why you feel that your dog, running loose and not confined as the law requires, is any more valuable than my flock of chickens, which my family depends on for their livelihood.

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 12:09pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 4:27pm PST 
You could fence your yard, then it wouldn't be your problem. Plus the cats would stay out. Or you could teach your dogs not to chase things.
People have a right to raise their own food, free from harassment by wandering dogs.

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 12:08pm PST

[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 7:00pm PST 
Think about it. Sure it would be upsetting for a dog to be killed over this...but don't you understand it's just as upsetting for the owner of the chickens (or other animals being killed/harassed...like rabbits...speaking from experience) to see their animals mauled by dogs?! Saying it's the dogs nature to do so does not make it okay. It would be nice if the owner of the livestock would give a warning first, but their first priority will be to protect their own animals.

By the way. My boy Twister is missing from our country property. I'm saying all this knowing full well that it is a possibility that someone could have shot him. Would I blame them if that happened? NO. Why? Because it would be my fault, and my fault alone since I left my dog in a situation where he was able to get off the property. That is partly the reason I feel so strongly about this! It should be a warning for us to learn from, it is our responsibility to keep our dogs safe because no one else is going to see them the same way we do...nor should we expect them to even though that would be nice. Sigh. That's all I'm going to say on this, good night all.hug

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 12:06pm PST

[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 8:53pm PST 
It’s a lot easier to teach a recall or boundary train a dog than a chicken. However, if the chickens come to harm while off their owners’ property, there is nothing the owner can do, so it works both ways.

I live in a rural area, and my neighbors will shoot dogs for harassing/killing livestock on their property. I have a dog with very high prey drive, so I always supervise her when she’s outside and do not allow her to engage in problem behaviors. Simple, keeps the peace, everyone is happy. As devastated as I would be if my dog was shot, it would be nobody’s fault but my own for not supervising/controlling her and allowing her to leave my property.

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 12:08pm PST

[notify]
(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3