GO!

Banned Breeds Update-UK

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 11:23am PST 
I was curious after someone pulled up an old thread about banned breeds that listed 75...whew, wonder where THAT list originated?

So looked for more recent guidelines-this was updated in 2013:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/dogs-guide-enfor cers.pdf

Basically it lists four breeds as absolute no-nos
Japanese Tosas
Dogo Argentinos
Fila Brazilieros
AND
Pit Bull Terriers

And just like in America it's based on burden of proof as to what breed of dog they're actually dealing with.

The last page of the download is the most interesting-it reminds me of a film clip we once saw of a Nazi group demonstrating how there were key measurements in facial structure that could pinpoint someone being fully Arayan. On the last page of this brochure they have a careful checklist of proportions and visual markers that tell you if you're dealing with a "pit bull". Such rubbish...Sophie would pass, Callie would be shot, I'm keeping my dogs away from there in any case shock

Edited by author Fri Mar 29, '13 11:24am PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 2:55pm PST 
Yes, unfortunately the DDA is ridiculously flawed, The way a Pitbull or Pitbull type is classified as such is often a hot topic among dog lovers. Sadly, any dog even resembling a Pitbull can be seized by the police and if the tape measure says they're of "type" then that's it. The case of Lennox is probably the most well known around the world of how ineffective and cruel this way of proving "type" is.

However, despite Pitbulls being a banned breed type, they are still being bred and purchased here. Actually, being a banned breed, only makes them more enticing to the lowlifes who buy them for all the wrong reasons! I've never met one, but in some areas they are pretty common.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 3:03pm PST 
Another interesting question...are English Bulldogs actually banned in England???
[notify]

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 4:20pm PST 
No, they're not.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:53pm PST 
I dunno, from what I was reading in the guidelines it's big blocky head and big shoulders in relation to something something...if ya pushed in Callie's snout all the way he would go from American Bull to English Bull in appearance rather easily...kinda sounds like a Monty Python skit...no that was budgies...anyway...you'd think a bull was a bullconfused
[notify]