GO!

Animal Control - What do they want?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 12:09am PST 
So i've been having this on going issue since my A$$hole of a neighbor decided to call the SPCA on me. He claimed i chain my dog up in my yard and he has no food and no water 24/7 and he's emaciated and barking 24/7.

So the SPCA showed up to my home while I wasn't present and they saw my dog and spoke to the neighbors in my complex. The jerk that called them lives next door. And all my neighbors have told the officer that i take excellent care of my dog and even when the original officer looked at him reported the dog wasn't chained in the yard, had water and was not emaciated.

And yet the SPCA continues to show up at the property i live at looking for me.

I already called and told them i was very busy and they didn't want to schedule an appointment time to meet me.

Am I supposed to put my entire day on hold waiting for an animal control officer to show up at my door? I mean they come at the weirdest times. They came the first day @ noon on a Thursday. I wasn't home. They returned the next day @11 am even though I had called that morning stating neither Jake nor I would be home since the weather was bad here and he would be going to daycare. And they came back today (Saturday) around 2 while I was nearly 30 miles away retrieving my new dog Caroline.

They didn't leave a note today but the girl in the unit next to mine tells me when they come because she has a dog too and they bother her since they think she's me(?).

But i'm not quite sure what they want since my dog isn't any of the things on the report and i updated his license to my current city over the phone a few days ago.

Anyone have any ideas? or suggestions?
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 12:04pm PST 
Go to the SPCA and let them know they are harassing you based on an unfounded/false complaint?? Maybe bring your dog so they can see with their own eyes that he is in good health? That is sad when people who don't like dogs want to make other people's lives miserable/get them in trouble. Good luck.hug
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 2:02pm PST 
Funny that when someone has a REAL complaint the SPCA tends to ignore it, or say "there's nothing we can do." shrug

Oh wait. That's not funny at all. Ugh..

Sounds like a lame situation. I agree with what Twister has said. When you have time, go to their office and tell them they're harassing you. Maybe if you can, show them Jake right there so that they can see he's in no way emaciated.
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 3:08pm PST 
yeah I finally caught the SPCA officer as i came home from grocery shopping today (around noon). i had a feeling if i hurried home i'd catch one and sure enough e was walkng down the drive. I stopped him and asked if he was coming to check on the dog in unit xx. He said yes and I told him I was the owner.

The guy had an attitude like Why are you missing all the meetings?

I told him I was busy and am not home all day. That they did not tell me a time frame so i didn't know when to expect anyone.

Anyway. I told the guy I now had a new dog and i had her papers showing i'd only had her about 20 hours and did not have a license yet because the shelter i got her from only licenses for the surrounding 3 or 4 cities. caroline came from nearly 37 miles away. But she would have a license by next weekend.

Turns out there was a delay in Jake's licensing informationg but beacuse he had a valid LA license the guy just wrote it down anyway.

I was also told that beause i have a kennel on my property i had to provide a dog house for both of my dogs inside of it. Though i don't see why since they're both house dogs but he says if i don't as SPCA shows up while my dogs our out there they'll site me for animal cruelty and take my dogs.

He was acting like i was some sort of lowlife with some abused animals. I live in a nice neighborhood and do my civic duties. Hell i'm the one who even stopped the guy to get his attention. I didn't have to do that.

He also mentioned in massing the original complaint had been a "barking dog" noise complaint. And i asked him how could that be the case when according to City Ordinance xxx C I have to be informed by written certified mail that my dog is causing an issue prior to you even showing up by two separate people? And the guy was like ... And then he got all upset. But i just wanted to know since that is the law and i find it hard to believe they've got to single me out for some reason.

It was a bit of an assigning confrontation at worst. I'm like don't you have a puppy mill to break up or something? You're totally bothering the wrong person. Even my neighbors were like WTF go away >.> There's no abused dogs here! Since when they come they bother my direct neighbor who has a dog also.

But now we're on some sort of radar and i know they'll be back. But i'm not concerned since I have yet to intentionally break a law.

My pups will have dog houses next weekend. ( again i dont' see why this matters as they are indoor dogs).

But still, The guy was such a jerk.

He tried to compare my dog (who's afraid of dog houses) needing a dog house in the event of a severe strom even if he refuses to use it as being analogous to someone not wearing a seatbelt in a car while driving because they've never been in an accident. If we are so much as expecting rain in the forcast Jake already has a Doggy Daycare appointent for that day if i have to work. I mean seriously if the weatherman even hints about rain he's in daycare.

I was like shrug I'll build him the dog house. Just don't come crying to me if you show up in the rain and my dog is now sitting in it instead of the covered area because you insisted he had to have a dog house.

But whatever. Hopefully this is the last i'll have to hear from them.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 5:18pm PST 
Gee, what an soap opera! hug Congrats on the Basset, by the way!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 8:40pm PST 
Sigh...just for future reference kids, animal protection is like child protection...case open till case closed...and you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent...they're like roaches and lice, you can't run away from them or avoid them...nope you have to be proactive and give them every reason to close the case as unfounded.
It sucks and they will make you feel totally negligent sometimes...but they have a job to do and they deal with people who ARE totally negligent every day, they're overworked and underpaid and most of them are so burned out they don't really know what they're actually doing anymore...
So try to be respectful and polite but firm and prepared with any documentation they might want-vet records, registration etc...
Best of luck and keep your cool...and I'll send Callie to eat your neighbor...
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 10:06pm PST 
They are crazy...what a waste of time, I think they should be able to tell if they were truly being neglected, it's not like you've been refusing to let them see your dog. I have a kennel for Twist too, no dog house either. He only goes in there now and then for fresh air when he can't be supervised (country property that isn't completely closed in). He doesn't ever stay in there for long periods of time or overnight. Apparently they think if you have a kennel it means the dog lives in it, even if you say otherwise.shrug I agree, they need to go bust a mill or something.confused

Congrats on the new dog! Bet Jake is happy to have a pal around!puppy

Edited by author Sun Mar 10, '13 10:08pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 10:18pm PST 
Thanks guys.

Sophie- I know they are. And i'm happy they busted my butt in a way since i know now if i ever have to call the SPCA they will ride the pants off of someone i know is abusing a dog.

I just think it's stupid since the first officer saw jake and saw he wasn't emaciated.

But i guess they were coming back over and over again to see if the dog house was in the kennel which it woudln't be since i have a custom kennel and the door is only 4x 4 feet wide. Just large enough for dogs to gethe through not really people. It's a pain when i get in there. But now i have to construct my dog houses in there this coming weekend.

And i still don't have a dog house in his kennel. I was just annoyed that he had the audacity to check on his little sheet Kennel had no food no water and no shelter. When there wasn't even a dog in it. My dog now dogs were inside. And yes there was no food or water in it because unfortunately where i live there are coyotes that do come out in broad day light so yeah i'm not going to leave food or water lying around in my kennel if there's no dog in there.

But it's all over now. And it's okay. I think Jake and Caroline are going to now be indoor dogs.

Thanks again everyone.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 10:30am PST 
What a crappy situation. It would drive me absolutely insane.

I had an old lady once who was tossing dog treats into my backyard because she "thought they were neglected and in the sun all day." Not only did I have a severely food aggressive foster at that point in time, but I also have an epileptic dog who can be triggered by certain foods! FACEPALM MOMENT. I invited her to my backyard gate and showed her the kennel they were in, which had a roof and tarps on it to keep wind, sun and rain/snow from hitting them, and they had big bowls of water readily available in the kennels to boot. Not to mention the fact that I NEVER had them out there for more then five minutes at a time unless I was out with them. But apparently 'barking dog = neglected and in hot sun all day'. Where does that logic come from?! She was walking a dog past my fence! Of course they're going to bark at the strange dog walking beside their property! I also don't bother with dog houses because my dogs never use them and they take up a chunk of space in the run. In fact, my dogs PREFER to sun bathe!

I have, luckily, never had an issue with bylaw. However... I have had moments where I've gotten concerned about it before. With my fosters nuisance barking, with the kennel incident, etc.

Out here though.. You're usually lucky if they follow up and investigate a call and so far, nobody has called on me.

I'm sorry things are going this way. Dog haters can truly make a dog owners life miserable. Both my neighbors(on one side) don't like dogs. It's unfortunate, but I try to respect that and keep my dogs from bothering them.

My reason for having a dog kennel? When my dog is outside, he's quite the escape artist and it's the only thing he's never escaped. It's mostly for safety and when I don't have a high enough or secure enough fence. Right now, I have the thing sitting in storage. laugh out loud
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 1:29pm PST 
Yes, I had a little bit of that when my friendly local moron called me in for "at large dogs" because they were off leash...walking with me. We have an off leash allowance, though as it turned out I should have had them in a closer heel...of course the dog law on the books doesn't say that...

Anyway, dealing with them face to face may bring it to an end. I have been considering visiting our local animal control to speak to them, now that a year has passed since the citation. I want it off the books, since it was not valid in the first place...as the dogs were nowhere near the guy who complained. I think he actually complained because some one turned his dogs in...who often run loose. I am guessing he thought is was me...The officer was pretty hard nosed about it though, even after I demonstrated Samoa's training to her...(Stop, Down, Wait) Okay Walk and etc.)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2