GO!

Stolen dog returned now someone is knocking at my door

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 7:31pm PST 
Yep. I don't trust these strangers, and I feel you're within your right not to trust them either. It sounds very suspicious to me, how they managed to get your address, and they claim they tried to call but didn't even leave a voicemail. What kind of person finds a dog, gets the phone number of said dog's owner, and then only tries to call once or twice and doesn't even leave a voice message saying "Hey, we found you dog." and never tries to call again?

When I was a kid we found a Whippet. She was amazing. Our mom posted "Found Dog" flyers, and ran a listing in the newspaper, but for a long time no one contacted us. One could assume her owners weren't even looking (but it's not right to assume things like that, because in fact they were looking as hard as they could! They lived in a different area and didn't get the same newspaper. Also, I should mention this was before microchips were a thing.) and we were all really attached to her, and by that time she was very attached to us as well. We were going to keep her, but then one day her real owners contacted us and were able to provide proof she was theirs. They came and got her. He didn't give us any sort of reward or reimbursement for all the vet bills and dog food and supplies we bought for her. Just a "thank you" and that was that. It broke our hearts to let her go, but the instant he walked through our door, whatever bond we shared didn't matter to her anymore. She never once hesitated or looked back.

Because of that I feel that a loved dog never forgets its person, and I seriously doubt Cassie would even want to go back to those people, after now being reunited with her real owner. Border Collies are one of those breeds that bonds so tightly to their people, they suffer badly when they're separated. At least that's how Nix is. I'm not talking anxiety, but depression? You bet.

So if anyone's considering what's fair to the dog, then I say what's fair to Cassie is staying with her master who raised her.

Edited by author Sun Mar 3, '13 7:32pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 7:45pm PST 
Ezra
I am very thankful that Cassie was taken care of. If the lady would have put her demands in a little nicer tone things would be different.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 8:13pm PST 
Ava
Thank you so much. Cassie acts like she was never gone. In fact she will not let us out of her sight. I take her to work with me in my store and she spends all day walking step to step with me. When we get home she hits her bed like she is so wore out.
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 5:08am PST 
Some of you act like if someone came on your property and took your car, tricked it out spending thousands on it and when the police found it the person who had the car and did the work may have the right to keep it or ask you to pay for the improvements.

I don't think anyone was saying that...they're saying you cannot prove your dog was stolen. You didn't have the dog properly contained, so you can't say there was a gate latch open, you can't say someone untied her from a tie-out, etc -- just that the collar was in the yard -- my dogs have been able to take their own collars off before. They're just saying that legally and logically you have no way to prove the dog was really stolen. You can't compare it to a car because cars do not have a brain or the ability to wander off on their own. And if she was stolen, you still have no way to prove that the people who are seeking her now are those same people who stole the dog. Everything you think happen might have certainly happened, sure, but you have no way to prove that.

Anyway... I do think that you should do something about the fact that the vet must have given these people your home address.

Edited by author Mon Mar 4, '13 5:11am PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 7:49am PST 
Thanks Kolbe.
I am just angry about the fact that they knew the dog was chipped and kept her anyway. They didn't try very hard and the vet didn't either. She sure found my name and address in 1 day when she went missing from her yard.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 12:43pm PST 
I would consider some reimbursement for vet bills if it can be verified with the vet. I wouldn't take anyone's word for it.

I don't think it's THAT easy for a dog to remove his/her collar. Finding the collar and tags in the yard is suspicious to me, if collar wasn't broken.

Thinking almost no vet would provide the address linked to a microchip, and somehow these people know where you live, is also fishy.

I hope you get to keep your dog.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 2:53pm PST 
We live in an urban area and what I am hearing is extortion...if I understand this correctly your dog disappeared. Someone found him and a vet that treated him for whatever reason didn't connect the chip with the dogs rightful owners and now these people want to see how much money they can get off of you. I don't think it's about the dog at all, if you said here then the dog is yours...they'd be pissed, they want $$$$$.

You have the right to be angry and you should be. I would call that vet and give them a peace of my mind and if those people try to contact you or come over on your property I would have the police there immediately.

It's your dog and they should have returned it when they found it, how dare they? Tell them that in no uncertain terms...
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 4:02pm PST 
What bothers me about this, is whether or not the dog was stolen, they admitted they knew the dog was chipped and they obviously did not try very hard to get in touch with the owner originally. If they can reach the owner 2 years later when they want $600 for caring for the dog, why could they not have rung the doorbell back when they first found the dog??

Edited by author Mon Mar 4, '13 4:03pm PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 5:53pm PST 
That is a VERY good point, Ginger.

I hope everything works out for you and Cassie. It sounds like bad news. Hopefully they'll choose to back down on their own, but if it comes down to legal issues, again, I agree with Sqam's earlier post. Don't interact with these people, document everything they say to you, don't answer the door when they knock. If they start harassing you then that's big trouble for THEM and will only make their case look worse.

Edited by author Mon Mar 4, '13 5:54pm PST

[notify]
Koda

Born to run -- loves to sleep

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 6:15pm PST 
Wow... I just read a thing about how the number of stolen dogs has risen lately... I had a dog run away before. He had on one of those collars that are like a choke collar but are made out of nylon and are limited as to how far they can 'choke' the dog. I can't remember what they are called right now... Anyway, we live on a busy road. We were home at the time. I had let our dog outside for a few minutes. Were we would chain him up was in perfect view of the road. We had just gotten him and he had no tags or microchip. When I got up to let him in, I found, to my horror, just a collar laying on the ground and no dog. We searched and searched. One of our neighbors said they saw a black dog but the didn't think to catch it. We never did get him back.

Now, we have a full blooded husky who is tied out all day. I have tried to tell my parents about the danger of leaving a full blooded dog outside all day long but they refuse to put him in a crate. You see, my aunt had a dog that was crated all of the time. That dog was so skittish it wasn't funny. But, Koda is out of sight of the road so I can only hope that is enough...

Also, I have heard of people stealing dogs and then waiting to see if the owners will post a reward and if they do they will return the dog and collect their reward... People are so cruel...
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4