GO!

Attack leads to death of dog

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:02am PST 
Having a smallish (18lb, but stocky) dog myself, and Doxies being one of those breeds that love to bark, I get just as annoyed with small, yappy dogs at the dog park. Don't their owners realize that if they provoke a retaliation, it's their little dog that will likely get hurt?

I work hard with mine to ensure she doesn't get barky, or in any other way harass another dog, large or small. Much of it is general training, ability to get my dog's focus when I see something that could set her off.

As for recall, I agree that 100% is not attainable, but if someone can't get their dog to return to them, or at least stop and look at their owner when they call their name, they shouldn't be off-leash in public. It may not be the popular view, but I won't take a dog to an off-leash park if I wouldn't feel comfortable walking them off-leash anywhere else.

Yesterday, we came across 5 deer while walking (off-leash) and as excited as she was, Lupi came right back to me to get leashed up. She once started running up to a coyote and I was thankful for her recall then. I practice with her ALL the time, trying to get her to see that returning to me is just the natural follow-up to running away.

I've also strongly discouraged Lupi from greeting leashed dogs at the off-leash park. I don't think it's wise, and if Patrick the Pom had been trained the same, he wouldn't have lost his life.

To be honest, I've seen what I envision as a similar scenario to this one, happen numerous times at our dog parks, just without the sad outcome. Dogs get territorial of "their park", have no recall or boundary training, usually the smallest canine family member instigates others to join him-it's just that normally, the dog(s) being harassed don't respond so vehemently.
[notify]
Lupi

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:14am PST 
Just wanted to specifically address the point that Dilly brought up about recall:

As I mentioned, I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty that their dog will return 100% of the time they're called.

But I do believe we all know our dog's weaknesses. Mine is gophers (prairie dogs actually) If she's found a burrow that contains one, I pretty much have to leash her up and carry her away. Otherwise, she prefers me over other dogs, new people, investigating wildlife, etc.

However, I know dogs whose weakness IS other dogs. They have great recall until they're around their fellow canines. So for them, as much as they love playing with other dogs, the dog park is not appropriate.

If your dog has a huge chase instinct, having them off-leash near a busy street would not be smart.

If they absolutely love people and have to run up to anybody they see, it may not be wise to have them at an unfenced dog park where people walk by.

Of course, unexpected things will come up, and that's where you hope your recall training serves you well, but again, common-sense should help avoid just about every tragedy.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 2:10pm PST 
We've walked where there are yappy little dogs barking and trying to rush anything that moves. I've been known to pick Sophie up and lug her the opposite direction...nasty beasts. But I do feel sorry for all concerned. With Callie I would be afraid at this point to walk him near off leash areas at all. Even though his harness is strong and I can pull him on his butt with it if need be, I don't want dogs running up to him. Things happen too fast.
[notify]

Lupi

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 1:34pm PST 
Well, I don't know how to post links to the news story, but an update was published today. Charges were laid against both owners, but the Pitbull owner got his dogs back. The provision is that he is only allowed to walk two at a time.

I'm happy the Pitties aren't being punished, but I'm a bit confused. Originally, he claimed two of the dogs weren't his (he was dogsitting for a friend) yet they were all released back to him? If he does end up keeping all three dogs, or even just the one, I hope he exercises more caution in the future.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 8:45pm PST 
And yet they said they charged someone else with owning an unlicensed dog. I was confused as well.
I don't see things ending well for any of these PBs and that makes me sad.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:48pm PST 
I have a question...if a situation such as this arises while I am walking Angel and/or Becca, what's the best option? Most the time I am walking both at the same time because it's easier that way and Angel does seem to be learning good things from Becca being around. But I seriously don't know how I'd handle it...I handled it when Angel was a puppy by picking her up - however she's 55lbs now and I have a bad back.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2