GO!

Dogster's Watch Dog Thinks It's Wrong to Chain Dogs

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:44am PST 
Not all Alaskan sled dogs lead wonderful lives on their tie-outs 24/7. Some get enough chances to run and may be fine tied out part time, others go stir crazy because they're hardly ever off the chain. I've worked in professional racing dog kennels and somehow they managed to keep numerous dogs safely without using tieouts, they were in runs and could interact with eachother at least some of the time. Many musher dogs are kept totally separate chained 24/7 within only a few feet of space.

That's why there should be time limits on chaining and it should be decided locally as an ordinance similar to nuisance barking laws/quiet hours etc.

Anyone who needs to tie their dogs out 24/7 simply should not own a dog. They should get a lawn ornament. Dogs are social animals and should not be deprived of interacting with other animals wether humans or other dogs. And please don't even bother saying a life chained up is better than PTS, I've seen too many dogs leading miserable 24/7 chained lives to buy that hogwash. I've seen some dogs where there neck skin has literally grown up around their collar and it had to be surgically removed. Disgusting and pathetic, and it's totally neglect.

You should first consult your local laws and ordinances. You might find that there are no laws being broken, so reporting it would do no good. If that's the case, you may want to get involved in changing that. If there are laws in place and you're seeing legitimate abuse, you should definitely report it.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 12:05pm PST 
I don't know if it's "none of your business" if you're offering something for free. Maybe the people can't afford a fence and you offer them an enclosed kennel.

Assuming the dog is abused and lonely is no different than assuming everything is how the owner wants it to be.

If it's just to go to their doorstep preaching about how dogs shouldn't be chained, then yeah, don't bother. Nobody likes that stuff.
[notify]
Maya-Living- in the UK

Pet me please?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 3:46pm PST 
I'd make it my business, simple.

I don't have a problem with dogs living outdoors, I have issues with them being chained up.

There's many people/organizations that donate fences and help those who need it.

If the dog is poorly treated, I'd do what i can to get the dog sorted either educate the owners or report them.

If the dog is not poorly treated and a loved family member, i'd see if I can help them find a way to get funding for fencing etc
[notify]

Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:13am PST 
Thanks for all your thoughtful responses everyone. smile

My neighbor's yard is surrounded by a sturdy fence, at least 5 feet tall. The building has a few flats, so it may be that the other tennants want the dog tethered in the backyard. I was never planning to report my neighbor to animal control; I don't believe tethering a dog violates any laws in San Francisco or that the dog is being abused. My biggest concern is that the dog is tethered outside all night long. We live right next to Golden Gate Park and there are very aggressive raccoons and coyotes that venture into our neighborhood.

I was simply going to do as Watch Dog had suggested in his article, which is to order a doorhanger or submit an anonymous report to dogsdeservebetter.com, so that my neighbor will be sent information in the mail.
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 2:26pm PST 
I live in a townhouse with no fenced yard. Therefore, I have tie outs. My dogs, however, are never left unsupervised.

If a dog is on a chain 24/7, that's no life to live, regardless of circumstances. They're social animals. I don't, however, see an issue with an hour or two at a time.

I also have an outdoor pen on my moms farm currently, that I usually use when I have a backyard. It's an 8 x 12 dog run, and I've had my dogs in that for a couple hours at a time before. But again, supervised for 95% of the time they're in it, and with a roof and proper shelter, water, etc.

It comes down to whether or not the dog is provided for imo.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:16pm PST 
My dog would flip out if I tried to tie him out. I have tried this in the past and he cried. I tried waiting for him to stop crying and he continued for 15 minutes until I gave in. There's really not much reason to do this anyway.

I feel so bad for dogs who are constantly tied out and left on their own. There is a dog like this in my neighborhood. The owners seem to be very wealthy. Property values are very high and their home must be at least half a million dollars. It could be a million dollar house. The dog always barks at me when I walk by with my dog on walks. Every time I walk by he is there, I don't think he ever goes inside or anywhere. I think this is a very lonely life and I can almost feel the dog's sadness when I walk by. Dogs are social animals. I don't think he is being aggressive when he barks, I think he wants attention.

He looks like a Great Pyrenees. I guess he is suppose to guard the house.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:29pm PST 
Even people who leave their dogs alone indoors as guard dogs...I understand that most of us have an eight hour day at work then commuting time. But the dog next door is inside from early morning until 10-11pm...how they handle the potty situation I have no idea. This guy is a big version of Callie. Bullies are not guard dogs on their own, they're a very people oriented breed. This poor boy moans and groans at all hours...it's sad, a heartbreaking sound
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 11:05am PST 
If this is multi unit housing and the yard is communal space the dog may need to be tied. Perhaps the dogs person was forced to move to a less then ideal place temporarily, maybe the landlord is allowing the dog only if it remains outside. I lived in a car with a Great Dane. Please don't be quick to judge, the option may have been rehoming the dog. Or worse. And I would be cautious about offering help if you don't know the person. Some people find that embarassing and/or offensive. If the dog seems fine I would leave it alone.
[notify]
Elvis

my sweetie

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 5:04pm PST 
If you get a dog and chain it up it's wrong. They need interaction!!!!!!!!
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 8:16am PST 
There's nothing wrong with tying out for a little while. My foster gets occasionally is tied out in the backyard for a few minutes because our fence is a mess and she could easily slip through the gaps. But, being chained for 24/7 is definitely wrong. If you think that there is abuse going on, then it does become your business.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3