GO!

Anyone heard of dog flipping?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 3:08pm PST 
Has anyone heard of the trend, dog flipping?

I found out about it earlier this year. Basically it's where people take dogs under false pretenses and then turn around and sell the dog or puppy for a high price tag. They mostly get dogs from people trying to rehome their pets or go to shelters. Some may even steal dogs just so they can sell them!

Here's some news reports and an article about it:

Dog flipping on the rise

http://www.wmctv.com/story/17214983/experts-warn-dog-flippin g-on-the-rise

Animal shelter warns about animal flipping
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=18019709

Craigslist Crazy: Online New World Pet Shop

http://voices.yahoo.com/craigslist-crazy-online-world-pet-sh op-dog-7806502.html

http://voices.yahoo.com/craigslist-crazy-onli ne-world-pet-shop-dog-7806502.html

Has anyone heard about this?

This type of thing is what happened Rudy.(More details on that later in an upcoming topic/thread)

Dogflipping is outlawed in Canada and in Ireland, two men were charged with what's called dog/puppy trafficking.

I've seen about 20 flyers at the local SPCA in their lost and found section. All the dogs listed were either missing or stolen.

dog:
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:10pm PST 
There's one on our local CL that has been doing it for years - all animals, not just dogs.
Picks up a free pet and immediately posts it with a hefty price tag.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:48pm PST 
That's crazy.

Have you reported it to somebody?

I've heard flipping is not just limited to dogs. There's people who flip cats, small animals such as rabbits, reptiles and even horses!
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:08pm PST 
Many people have reported her. CL is very flipper friendly.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:23pm PST 
That's messed up.

Back when my sister came across an ad that had been posted in California and the woman who posted it said in an email 'Oh by the way I'm in Arkansas and I need $500 to put one these dogs on a plane."

Right off the bat we realized it was a scam.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 3:31pm PST 
Saw this on a facebook page regarding pet theft. I was surprised to read it. It's not just individual people who flip dogs, some of the worst cases out there are fake/knock off rescue organizations and animal shelters.

Take a gander at this:

Did you know this is happening? If you shared this would your friends believe this is what happens to pets that are just tossed away? And does it have anything to do with the increase in pet theft?

I am a dog/puppy flipper

Submitted by a Humble Sinner on Thu, 11/17/2011 - 05:25

My husband and I are both dog/puppy flippers. It is our full time job. We have both had really good jobs before, but the money we make doing this is much much more than what we made at regular jobs combined. I do feel somewhat guilty about having to cut corners on telling the truth to people, but we make it as honest as possible. We treat the animals as if they were our own, feed them, bathe them, and if they haven't had shots or been dewormed yet we do that as well. We are basically a free-lance rescue, just not non-profit. You should see some of the people we get them from, some people dont even care about the puppies, and just want a quick buck out of them. People who buy them really want them, and are willing to pay the price we charge. Win-win =] We have "manipulative" ways of being able to not be caught by anyone. I started doing this on the side, and it's been a learn-as-you-go experience, and perfecting the tactics used in this business. We get most of our dogs/puppies for very low prices or sometimes free (since dog flipping as become a little more well-known, the people who were giving them away for free are now charging) Usually do this through craigslist. When i have set up a time and place of pick up, before i even leave to go get the puppy, i will post an ad up on other sites (ones that don't flag your ads) for MUCH more than i will pay for them. As for pictures, I simply google pics of puppies that look similar to the puppy i am picking up (avergae purchase price we pay for a puppy is between free-$150, and depending on the breed of puppy, I can sell it for $300-$450, at rare times when i find extremely popular or rare breeds like yorkies, i will make upwards toward $800-$1,000) This way, before i even have the puppy, i am getting responses from people who are interested in buying said puppy. Theres a few times where i will have a buyer lined up, and we never have to bring the pup home. Our best record sale time is 20 minutes that we picked up the puppy and had her in the car before selling her! I have two prepaid phones, one for buying, one for selling. No one suspects i am buying and reselling because i have specific emails and phone numbers for buying, and same for selling. Foolproof. I never use my real name (not my first name anyway) I go by my middle and maiden name instead. I always meet in public, and we are able to travel all over the state of florida and surrounding states as well (gas pays for itself) I ALWAYS buy females, toy breeds, these are the most sell-able and profitable. We make an average of 1-3 sales per week, profiting over $200- sometimes $300 per puppy. When people are selling litters, i will offer them a break price for multiple pups. Its really an easy way to make money without adding to the dog population by breeding!
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 8:31pm PST 
There are very few rules or laws when it comes to selling pets including dogs. This opens the door for dog flipping. It's a highly unregulated market.

It does make you wonder though, eh? Why are all these people apparently giving away - or selling on the cheap - puppies on CL? Did they pay much for them? Or did they get them for free from their original source? (breeder?) Did they pay a lot of money (say to a pet store) and have already changed their mind, although it's still a puppy - and now they're giving it away for free?

The post that Stella quoted - I don't know where she got that from? - but it's interesting that the self identified dog flipper "always" goes for females and toy breeds because those fetch the most profit. Sure, when you're selling them intact - because the buyer wants to breed them and make a little profit of their own.

The market is, sadly, whatever it will bear. Buyers are often uneducated and impulsive. Sellers are often greedy and unethical. There is little protection for buyers. Little protection for dogs and puppies.

The scariest part of dog flipping is the matter of stolen dogs and puppies. Every owner has to take all precautions against that. Best advice is just don't ever leave your dog unattended, even in your own yard. It's sad but it seems to have come to that. In South Louisiana, pit bulls particularly were commonly stolen right off owners' property. Especially intact males. The loathsome element of amateur wannabe dog fighters and other riffraff were behind that.
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 1:41am PST 
Heartless. Once an animal has gone through my door, they shall not leave. Anyone who sees a living, breathing creature as an article of profit... disgusting.
Dog flipping is very common in my area. I couldn't do it, my heart shivers at the sight of a puppy whose future is questionable.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 7:58am PST 
My first thought with the title was people who take in cheap or "free" dogs, work on their issues, get them vet care and resell them to a good home at a price nearly equivalent to the time and effort they put into the dogs.
naughty Silly me for thinking the best of people. As that I wouldn't have a problem with, essentially just a small operation rescue.

Unfortunately, this happens with many things. It's a shame that dogs have been placed on the same field as an "object" rather than a living thing.

This is why if I were to obtain a dog off craigslist or the like, I'd be paying a small sum if spay/neuter or food and supplies came with the dog.
The only people I would pay a considerable amount to would be a reputable breeder or a proper rescue/shelter.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 9:59am PST 
That's what bothers me about a very popular "rescue" group around here. Everyone says what terrific animals they "save". What's messed up is the underlying purpose. I knew people personally who worked with them and they go to kill shelters and take dogs that are socially acceptable-Goldens, toys, beagles, a dog Megan and Muffy want on their Christmas card.

The urban shelters want around $150-$200 adoption fee for a dog. These people tack up to an extra hundred on that. Besides the fact they're leaving the not so attractive or hard to place pooches behind. Wish I had the resources to start a bully rescue around here. There's a definite need. Think the closest one is like Philly maybe???
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5