GO!

Should Dog Abandoned On Tall Peak Be Given Back to Owner?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 12:28pm PST 
Article

This one has me torn. I don't think I can make strong opinion on who should get the dog, but it does sadden me that the original owner just thought her dead.

Who do you think should get the dog based on the article and listed links within?
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 12:36pm PST 
It doesn't say whether the owner made an attempt to go back or have someone else go back and collect the dog...I think that would be the deciding factor for me. If he made an attempt to find the dog and couldn't find her, then OK, but if he left her and then never went back or even attempted to find her, then IMO he doesn't need her back.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 12:38pm PST 
Personally, if I had had to leave my dog up there, I would have done my hardest to get him back as soon as I was safe... I would have called everyone I could, alerted as many people as I could and they would have had to hold me back from going back up there to get him back, myself...

I don't think I would have left him up there in the first place... And if I did, I would have did what I said above...

Why didn't the owner tell anyone his dog was up there? I don't understand shrug

I hope the rescuers get to keep Missy/Lucky... Unless the owner comes out with an amazing explanation as to why he just left his dog up there.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 12:58pm PST 
See, I can understand being forced to leave her behind because of injuries and fearing for his and his wive's lives(if that isn't already a made up story), but I have to agree with Rocky... Why didn't he try to return to try to get his dog back? Why didn't he fight tooth and nail or tell anyone that his dog was stuck up there and try to go back for her? And if he did, why wasn't she brought home? To me, he essentially abandoned his dog. If my fiance was injured or dying on a mountain, yes, I would do everything in my power to get him out of there, but you can bet your life I'd go back for my dog ASAP and I'd even gather search parties to get him back. What's fishy to me is that Mr. Ortolani didn't try to return to get his dog, didn't seem to make any effort to do so, and the dog was found and rescued EIGHT DAYS later. Eight days at that elevation, with no water or food and likely through the heat of each day... I'm surprised that dog survived and I believe she should go home with one of her rescuers.

Did he try to get his dog back? What happened that he had to leave her there in the first place? Did he tell people his dog was stuck up there in hopes he'd get a helping hand to rescue her? Did he even TRY? There's too many unanswered questions... But I'm glad she is safe and healthy again.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 1:05pm PST 
Hope AC makes the right call on this one; and imo, that is to let the rescuers keep the dog. If the original owners had tried to get help to the dog, there would be proof of that, someone else would have known their dog was up there. No, it took a couple of random hikers who did not know that the dog was up there to find her and get the rescue party organized. I honestly do not think they have any rights left to the dog, though I do hope that they are doing ok after being injured themselves.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 5:28pm PST 
I think if the owners had made some kind of effort to let somebody know their dog was still up there, then they should get their dog back. But, that article didn't mention anything like that. I would like to know, were the injured hikers rescued by rescuers or did they hike back out by themselves? thinking Either way, a simple "we had to leave our dog on the mountatin, can somebody help her" to friends, family, the rescuers(if there were any), or even other hikers(the place appears very popular, I'm sure they would've run into some hikers either on the way down or at the bottom of the mountain) would have been better than just assuming their dog was dead and saying nothing. If it was my dog and I thought she was dead, I would have contacted somebody to see if I could have the remains found and returned to me for a proper burial and closure. But again, they did nothing. frown Because of this, I believe Lucky should go home with her rescuers.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 5:52pm PST 
It said he hiked with a buddy. Why didn't one stay with the dog and the other go for help? I don't think I would give the guy back his dog. It didn't take long for the hikers to get help. Why didn't he do it? If I was hiking, I would have gone for help. My dogs are family to me. It would be hard for me to leave them even for 5 minutes. But if it meant the difference between getting help or not, then that's the only time I would leave them. Although, now we carry "In Reach" with us when we hike. So, if something happens, all we have to do is call for help.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 5:56pm PST 
They talked about this on the radio today. They said the original owner did contact the rangers when he got to safety. Apparently they would not go and try to find the dog as they thought it would be too dangerous.

A very sticky situation!
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:02pm PST 
Wow, a group of hikers got together and set out in the dark to help, but the rangers didn't do anything at all? Not very impressive on the rangers part. That does make it more complicated though, since the owners HAD contacted the proper authorities and had told them their dog was still up there. Still, if they had just accepted the rangers answer, and moved on, then perhaps the rescuers should be allowed to keep the dog.thinking
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 8:20pm PST 
The article has a link to the forum that organized the rescue. You can read through to get the full story as the owner of the dog posted numerous times.

Apparently the dog had injured paws and after they tried to haul her down the trail, and being bumped and dropped, she refused to walk anymore and wouldn't budge. Nasty weather was moving in so they made the decision to leave the dog.

The owner called SAR, was told that they don't rescue dogs. He called AC and was told that they don't deal with dogs in non-accessible places (or something to that effect).

The owner tries to offer up explanations on the forum, but IMO, they all fall really short. Badly blistered feet is what kept him from going back up to save his dog (really?!), and he pretty much convinced himself that after a few days in, the dog was dead anyways. naughty

The part that I really, really don't understand is that they didn't go back out to look for her (frankly, even if his dog HAD died up there, the "leave no trace" backpacking ethic dictates that he should have gone back up there for her body and brought her down off the mountain). They didn't post flyers at the trailhead or leave them under people's windshields there. They didn't try to round up friend and family to help them or try to reach out to the local hiking/mountaineering community!

I can't imagine leaving my dog and then not returning for her...heck, I can't imagine coming across a random dog in the middle of nowhere and leaving it behind!

So, no, because he abandoned her and left her for dead, I don't think that Missy should be returned to him.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7