GO!

Meet Shadow- another story of a dog with an unjustified death sentence

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 9:39am PST 
Meet Shadow

Shadow has been kept by Kelowna ACC in BC Canada for the past 15 months and ordered to be euthanized "to protect the public" despite witnesses saying this dog was not the one who bit a woman.

More of her behavior evaluation

Shadow support page on FB
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 9:58am PST 
Thank-you for posting this Nicky. This is an awful story but makes my point that not just pitbulls need advocates to speak for them.

hugwishes To Shadow and his/her owners,they obviously love her and she does not deserve this at all.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:12am PST 
How horrible! In the video it said the case was ongoing. Has the final decision to have her killed been made? That is just wrong that they would do that when actual witnesses say she did not do it. frown I have not seen where the 'victim' has said anything about this, but it seems to me she would have known which dog bit her, and I would bet she knows it was her own dog and is trying to cover that up. They also said she kicked Shadow in the head?! She was bitten after that happened so why would she do that?thinking ETA: After more reading, it sounds like the Shepherd was DA...I don't know how Shadow approached them, but he seems very friendly. Perhaps the woman kicked the dog trying to keep it away from her dog, but that sent her dog up a level (in the video it said the Shepherd 'went into a frenzy' after the kick) and ended up redirecting his aggression onto it's own owner. Seems the Shepherd is the one needing behavior evaluation...but at the same time, this should be a reminder to keep your dog away from others unless they have permission to approach.

Here is the link to their petition. Sorry I can't do the clicky thing.

http://www.change.org/petitions/bc-provincial-court-rule-a gainst-euthanizing-innocent-alaskan-malamute-shadow-madsen-kelowna-b c

Edited by author Mon Jul 23, '12 10:22am PST

[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 12:11pm PST 
The case has been adjourned until November, but Shadow's owners are appealing the court to have Shadow returned to them until then.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 2:27pm PST 
I hope they are allowed to bring her home. This is crazy that this case is being dragged out so long. From what I gather they have zero evidence that this dog bit someone, just the accusation from the woman who was bitten (or so I assume).
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 6:00pm PST 
IMO it's odd that one incident is enough to warrant a euth order...especially in an incident where there are witnesses with very similar stories...

At most, I would have thought that fining her owners, and requiring that Shadow be safely contained when on her property and always leashed when off would have been sufficient.

Sounds like the RDCO is trying not to look silly (and failing miserably at it!) by proceeding with this...otherwise, they've just kept a dog unjustly locked up for 15 months...
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 6:18pm PST 
Makes me wonder if the woman has connections; and you are right, the RDCO is probably trying to find something to justify their actions.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 9:10pm PST 
Some more info on the story: Clicky!

The first fishy part is that it took the victim a month to report the bite...

Also, apparently the RDCO offered terms for Shadow's release some time ago and the owners refused. I haven't been able to find the specifics of the terms, but it sounds like a revised version of these terms has been offered again.

Tough situation to be in...
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 12:03am PST 
On the other hand, it makes quite a good case for why your dogs should never be at large even if they're the sweetest, gentlest dog. Other people's dogs might not be so much. If everyone's dog was on lead, there wouldn't be this issue at all. The dog shouldn't be deemed dangerous, and that lady's dog should be equally tested for temperament, but shadow's owners are still at fault unless there is no leash ordinance.I'd say a fine for a dog at large is in order, but not a kill order or a dangerous dog order. Then they can turn around and try to sue the lady for falsifying a report, pain and suffering, boarding fees, etc. Reporting a bite a month after the issue is right out. That is supposed to be a 72 hour reporting window or it's frivolous and abusive of the system. The lady probably doesn't want to admit that her dog is a biter, and doesn't want to pay for the medical bills.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 9:05am PST 
Wow, it really sounds like a witch hunt from the very beginning. It doesn't sound like Shadow is in danger of being euthanized (unless they agree to the conditions, if she got out again and is caught Shadow would be euthed immediately). The owners are right for refusing the RDCO's conditions. It would be saying Shadow was the dog that attacked and taking all blame (and the cost) for it. Crazy how the RDCO is refusing to budge on their position and admit they made a mistake in which dog they brought in.

Totally agree Foxxy, but from the sound of it, Shadow got out of the yard without their knowledge...I think there are very few people who have never had a dog get out of the yard or slip out a door. Yes, everyone should take extra precautions, and I believe they should not be allowing their dogs to roam free or to go to people/dogs without permission. But we can't always control everything. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3