GO!

Please Sign This Petition To Stop Puppy Mills

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 33)  
1  2  3  4  
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 11:19pm PST 
Sabi, You misunderstand my point. I am not knocking rescue dogs... I've even seen some that have came out of rescue or shelters and gone on to other work. I strongly support rescue and work directly with two local breed rescues to educate and find homes for dogs. What bothers me is that this law has the potential to destroy a large portion of the US working dog population.

Not because dogs in rescue aren't great... but if no one's breeding those great dogs they won't end up in rescue. The way this law is written won't hurt those back yard breeders who produce one or two badly bred litters a year, it won't hurt massive puppy mills and commercial breeders who will keep right on doing what they're doing. What it will hurt is those good breeders who have a breeding program.. that breed their dogs in their home that are loved and cherished and who Work Hard to place puppies in Good homes.

That is why I'm against this law. Not because there aren't occasionally good dogs in shelters. Or because I'm in any way for bad breeders... but what I Am for is good breeders who try to work with their puppy owners to educate and place the right dog in the right home... That doesn't happen in 'sterile' conditions, that doesn't happen when the puppies can't be socialized, and can't run around on grass and in open air..
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 7:10am PST 
I didn't misunderstand Happy.
I am totally against bad breeding, and I in no way see this law as a good thing. I was simply responding to your comments about not being able to afford the gamble, and I do understand that. Sabs hips were normal until she was 3 1/2. It would have been an expensive loss had she been trained for something like service work. As it was I was able to modify her duties to allow her to work.
I was also responding to the comments about purebreds in shelters being poorly bred. While thats true, in many cases it matters not a bit in their role as pets.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 11:58am PST 
but it does matter even being a pet - simply even having things like bad hips.. that can severely strain even a pet home relationship..
[notify]

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 33)  
1  2  3  4