GO!

Dog bit dog...who's liable

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
alfie

were's the ball,- were's the- ball........

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 5:37am PST 
I'll keep it brief. There is a park near us, its not an offical dog park but a hell of a lot of dog walkers use it. There are a good bunch of people who walk there. Wary or unruley dogs tend to be leashed.

I was walking my 2 dogs yesterday, came across to ladies both walking there dogs. Lady no1 put 1 of her dogs on leash as it has a problem with other dogs. I stopped to have a chat with lady no2. Lady no2 ws throwing ball for her dog, her dog a couple of other were chasing ball including my dog. Her dog brings ball back and drops it, my dog attemots to pick it up and her dog bites my dogs ear. Hard enough so that it ripped in 2 places and needed stitches. She did try to help me stem the blood flow, but failed to put her dog on leash!

My dog has been in vets all night, i was walking my other dog this morning. And got talking to other walkers, turns out this dog has attack another dog last year for the same thing, the ball! The dog is apparently very possessive of her ball. Yet this owner insists on bringing her dog to the park to play ball, while i understand its within her right, surely if you know your dog has issues you would take the dog to a quiet area to play ball. Yet it has been said this lady has no problems with throwing the ball in which ever direction she pleases, regardless of if other dogs are nearby! As shown yesterday.

If she has said her dog was possessive of ball i would have leashed mine. But she failed to mention this.

I am now left with a very sorry for himself dog, the vet as done a wonderful job and the ear should heal well, and a hefty bill, which i will be asking her to pay half if not all. But where do i stand if she refuses?

And am i right in thinking i should be reporting the inncident to the R.S.P.C.A? Were hopefully they can give her some advise and help with training?
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 5:42am PST 
Well i dont have much experience with this but i think the other lady should be liable. Her dog attacked yours and injured him. I think she should be responisible for the vet bills. But maybe someone else will chime in what they think.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 6:11pm PST 
It depends on the laws where your at. If there's a leash law then I would think both of you would be liable since both of you had the dogs off leash and it wasn't in a dog park. Then again they might say that your totally liable yourself since if there was a leash law and your dog got bit it would have been avoidable if you had your on a leash. On the other hand if her dog has bitten other dogs and you can get proof of that, maybe it would be enough to cover the whole vet bill. I don't know the laws in your area so cant say for sure. Have you talked to the other owner about it to see if they would pay for it? I would try that first then maybe talk to a lawyer about it if you both cant resolve it. I'm sorry your dog got bit but happy he's doing better. Good luck. smile
[notify]

In Memory of Callie

Just call me Her- Magesty

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 6:16pm PST 
If you are in an area that is actually an ONleash area and you both have your dogs offleash, then you both are responsible.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 8:46pm PST 
OP, you're in the UK, no? I understand that leash laws are are uncommon there, so perhaps you should call the RSPCA for advice...?
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 9:10pm PST 
I don't know what the exact laws are about this where you are, but it certainly seems to me that the owner of the dog who bit yours should be liable for your vet bills entirely!

It sounds like she knows her dog has toy guarding issues and yet she let you casually stand around her dog and his ball without warning you whatsoever.

One tends to assume that dogs playing off leash in a busy area wouldn't be dog aggressive or lacking in the social skills to express displeasure to another dog without drawing blood! shock
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 7:02am PST 
If I were the owner of the dog who did the biting, I would offer to pay. I think she should if she knows hers has an issue and apparently it does.
[notify]
Maya-Living- in the UK

Pet me please?

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 7:43am PST 
Nothing can be done. try contacting your local dog warden and see if they can make the owners cover the vet bill but that's about it.

There's no laws here concerning dog on dog attacks.

Maya was attacked while on lead by an off lead staffie but since she did not need vet care they could only recommend the owner call them and they've been registered.
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 9:46pm PST 
Maya, you should brush up on the laws in your country!

If a dog is known to be a biter, and this one is, the owner can be held liable for payment of damages.

A known biter can also be required to register, wear a muzzle in public and remain on leash.

Report the dog. Make sure any other attacks by this dog are reported as well.
[notify]
Maya-Living- in the UK

Pet me please?

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 10:46am PST 
Snickers, only if the dog as been to a vet.

My friend's dog was killed, nothing was done about it.

There's a dog that lives by me that has attacked multiple dogs, the police took no intrest until someone got bit separating the dogs.

I don't need to brush up of the laws to my own country, there's already huge debates of uk pet fourms about the lack of laws on dog on dog attacks.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2