GO!

Buckle up your pet?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 69)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 8:07am PST 
I do not like the idea of yet another law. I however do wish that common sense were more common. I do restrain my dogs with doggie seat belts. Before those were available my dogs were always taught to lay quietly in the back seat. I however once chose to simply get off the road and wait out an elderly woman driving a 1970's Cadillac that must have been 30 ft long and took up nearly the whole lane including the white line between lanes,not that it mattered to her,she was driving with the white line that separated the lanes lined up with the center of her car and had 2 very large full grown GSD,jumping around the car at will,from the front to back,and even in her lap. I chose to pull into a parking lot,wait to see which way she was going,and take an alternate route to my destination. Quite a few other drivers on seeing what I did also took the same option. Not only were her dogs a distraction to her but a danger to every other driver that shared that heavily travelled road with her that day. Just thought I'd share,several police officers by the way did see this going on,not one bothered to stop her.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 1:10pm PST 
I use caribiners and a high tension bungee. You could also loop something like that into a used seatbelt and run a bungee down to even the outside of the vehicle.

Thank you Zephyr, this could be do-able. My husband could probably get pretty creative with that. Thank you for the barrier suggestion Titus -- I wonder if something could be attached to the barrier itself, or do you think that's not secure enough...like could the barrier become dislodged in a crash...? My dogs stay calmly in the back so containing them is not the issue, it's more about containing them in the event of an accident.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 2:48pm PST 
Kolbe, I would think that a more permanent installation would be better than a pressure mounted barrier for safety thinking I would just do whatever I could to reduce risk of injury. Just training a dog to lay down on the rear floorboards while in the car can improve his/her odds in the event of an accident.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 9:51am PST 
For those that are looking for options on restraining crates, Pet Buckle (we have the seat belt harness from them) also makes a crate restraint:

http://www.petbuckle.com/kennel.htm
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 12:19pm PST 
I would not trust one of those car barriers, I don't think it would provide much protection in an accident. Even if it did not come loose in an accident, the dogs would still be thrown around the back of the car and could be injured that way. Also if windows were broken they could be thrown out onto the road.

Another reason for restraining dogs in the car is for the aftermath of an accident-- if windows are broken or someone opens a door in order to help people in the car, unrestrained dogs may escape and can be struck by other cars on the road or can become lost.

This happened in the recent accident of Elicia Calhoun and her dogs which someone mentioned... From what I have read, the dogs were not restrained and were thrown from the car. Two dogs ran away, several were injured or killed.
I've heard about several other accidents involving show dog handlers where dog crates broke open in a crash and several dogs ran out onto the road and were struck by cars or went missing.
Even if your dog would not normally run away, there's no way to know what they might do in a disorienting situation like this where they may be scared and/or injured and/or you might be unable to restrain them.
Additionally, a scared dog might become aggressive or protective and get in the way of paramedics or police trying to assist.

Edited by author Fri Jun 15, '12 12:33pm PST

[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 1:54pm PST 
As I understand it, Elicia's dogs were crated at the time of the accident... thinking She struck an 18-wheeler head on, so to be honest, it's a miracle anyone survived. Cars aren't designed to withstand that; certainly crates aren't.

Driving a car is an inherently dangerous activity - it just is. For all the advances in automobile safety, we are still traveling at high rates of speed in 5,000lb metal boxes fueled by flammable liquid. We can only be as safe as that allows.

Edited by author Fri Jun 15, '12 2:02pm PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 2:35pm PST 
I read too that Elicia's dogs were crated. I don't know if the crates were secured, but I agree with you, Titus, that we can only make things as safe as we possibly can, both with the cars and safety equipment we have, and by driving safely.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 5:51pm PST 
Oh ok, I guess the things I read that said they were loose in the car were wrong. Sorry about that!
Anyway, some types of crates are stronger than others so that is something to consider if you are using a crate. As others mentioned it is also important to secure the crate.

Here is an example of a crate that broke in an accident:
http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/Car-Accident-Photos-and-T estimonial.html

Crash test video showing a small crate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpA798rXSc0

Videos showing kennel strength:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfHEkaPko4

Edited by author Fri Jun 15, '12 6:01pm PST

[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 10:00pm PST 
A month ago I came upon an odd scene:
A friend of my neighbor pulled over on the side of the road, another woman pulled over and a huge American Bulldog looking a bit confused standing with her.

Puzzling.

The next time I saw her she told the story. The other woman was driving her mini van in front of her mini van when the back hatch opened and the dog tumbled out onto the road I front of her! She almost hit the dog. Another motorist stopped and got the dog, while this woman caught up with the dog owner....who didn't notice her hatch was open and dog gone.

Yeah, I'd ticket her!
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 69)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7