GO!

Buckle up your pet?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 5:15pm PST 
I found this on Fox News-I wasn't sure where to post it. I figured it pertains to preventing pets from getting hurt in an accident.
I already restrain my dogs in the car.
What does everyone think?

NJ: Buckle up Your Dog & Cat or Face Fines
Posted in Top Stories
Jun 4, 2012
By Todd Starnes
Garden State drivers who fail to buckle up their cat or dog could face criminal charges as well as fines totaling up to $1,000, according to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
CLICK HERE TO FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK!!
“You should not be driving down the road under any circumstances with a dog driving the car,” said Elyse Coffey, a spokesperson for the New Jersey MVC. “We don’t want dogs driving with the steering wheel and we don’t want cats who sit on the dashboard.”
State officials are teaming up with the NJ Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to enforce laws requiring motorists to “properly restrain their pets.”
The law forbids dogs from hanging out windows – and also from riding in the bed of a pickup truck.
Drivers who fail to do so could face fines from $250 to $1,000 – for each offense. They could also be charged with disorderly conduct under New Jersey’s animal cruelty statutes.
“As your family gets ready to embark on their family vacation, you take the time to buckle up your kids because you love them,” Coffey told Fox News Radio. “It’s also time to take a look at your furry family members.”
She said driving with a distracted animal in the car could be dangerous not only for the family pet, but also for other motorists.
Coffey cited a 2010 AAA survey indicating that 31 percent of drivers said they were distracted by their dog while driving.
“I hate to sound like we’re picking on dogs, but that’s normally the animal we’re talking about,” she said, noting that the law requires all animals to be buckled up.
“We’re not talking about dogs who will lay down nicely on the back seat,” she said. “We’re talking about cute lap dogs that sit on your lap and look like they are literally driving the car – or other dogs who hang so far out the window they could leap.”
A number of New Jersey motorists are calling the law ridiculous and overreaching.
“What nonsense,” one reader told the CBS television affiliate in Philadelphia. “I have an SUV that my dog rides in the back of. Why on Earth would I tie her down?”
“That is not overreaching,” Coffee said. “At any moment that dog could see something interesting and decide to jump out of the car.”
Another reader pondered, “Does that mean I have to buckle my puppy/kitten in an infant car seat?
Coffey said there are plenty of protective animal devices on the market.
“They are not constraining at all,” she said. ‘They simply prevent an animal – in case of a horrible accident – from becoming a projectile.”
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 5:40pm PST 
Sometimes, my Bella sits up behind my neck when I drive...and that's where she's going to stay.
Let the police do something about the REAL hazards of driving > people taking their eyes off the road to TEXT! Grrrrrrr!
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 5:45pm PST 
Personally I feel dogs should be restrained while riding in cars. Just like us its dangerous for them to be riding loose. They become projectile missles in an accident and even if they survive an accident and an airbag in their face, they could be killed when they get loose on the road. I have my dogs ride in Veri kennels in my SUV. I have 8 airbags and if I get in an accident they could be killed by an airbag.
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 6:01pm PST 
I'm not exactly sure what I think about it. I restrain mine because they try to help me drive.
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 6:13pm PST 
I dont want more laws over it, I would hope people would use common sense and restrain their pets for their safety. But then we are a society with no common sense, I mean we have to have laws ro tell us to not beat our children and telling us to not steal from the elderly, why I would think people would use common sense in regards to their pets safety in their cars I guess is a little over the top.
[notify]
Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 6:25pm PST 
There are plenty of laws on the books already about distracted driving.
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 6:27pm PST 
Budro I agree.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 7:34pm PST 
Well, Moose sits straight up in the passenger seat and looks forward like a human would. The looks I get from people are priceless.
Last weekend we were driving home from the beach and he found a cleaning rag in my SUV. He loves rags. He comes from the back with the rag hanging gently out the front of his mouth and proceeds to sit up in the front seat, staring straight out the windsheild with the rag dangling from his mouth. I had to break out the cell phone to record it. Too cute.

I should crate Moose in the back for safety purposes. It's just the smart thing to do. I need to start training him to go into it in the car and I see that taking a long time.
[notify]
Copper~ We- miss you!!

food

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 8:27pm PST 
My dogs love their folded down seats bed! I would be mad if i all the sudden had time buckle them up! I Don't want them hurt either but. I had a beagle once who attempted to hang himself in one of those car harnesses! Funny site to see. And very distracting while driving!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 10:27pm PST 
Common sense is not at all common.

It seems simple to me.
Everyone in my vehicle is safely restrained before the vehicle starts to move. The dog wears a harness and is buckled in (because I can't fit a crate in the car) and the cats are crated.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7