GO!

Am I being rude to new Neighbors?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 8:10pm PST 
Mozart, really, I think you should just try to talk to them and get on the same page. Shelties are notoriously barky, alarmist--as Sheltie owners they probably already know that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you being able to enjoy your loud dog toys in your yard with your dog . . . but you could smooth things over by at least talking to them about what they think. Maybe they're irritated, maybe they don't care, but you won't know for sure til you bring it up. You don't have to apologize, just be diplomatic. Like, I do this a couple times a week, is that o.k., or should we, I do something differently so as not to get your dogs wound up?

Trying communication is never bad, if it doesn't work--at least you took the high road and gave them the opportunity to express themselves. way to go
[notify]
Roxanne

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 9:19pm PST 
As long as you aren't intentionally going out to train every single time they let theirs out I don't think it's rude. It's your yard! They probably really don't even notice anything more than their dogs bark when you go out. I have rude neighbors...they call one of my dog's names just to get her to bark.
[notify]
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 8:24am PST 
I think that as long as you are going out sporadically, it is not being rude. If your going out specifically only when there out there, thats a different story. Then you are trying to bother their dogs instead of use your yard.

I live an an big apartment building that is shaped like a square U. So everytime I take Dar out to pee, play, train, walk around, I am teasing a LOT of dogs. EVERYTIME I go out at least one dog starts barking( and no Dar does not bark first or bark in response). I am not going to limit my times of going outside because it may bother someone else's dogs and you really shouldn't have to either.

With that being said, if you have a schedule that you stick to for training, I don't think it would hurt to let them know your schedule and if it is a Problem to try and work something out.
[notify]

Abby

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 12:39pm PST 
I have two dogs and there is a problem with the dog behind us. The family has three young children and really shouldn't have a dog. They had their last dog for the first 4 years we were in our house and they never once took him for a walk or out of the yard. After he died, she told me they were considering getting a border collie! I told her they are extremely high maintenance dogs and needed LOTS of exercise, so thank goodness they decided a border collie wasn't the dog for them. I even mentioned that maybe a dog wasn't a good idea with the kids being so young and not having enough time for a dog... But, next thing I knew, they had purchased a labradoodle (because it wouldn't shed). He's now a year and a half old, has not been trained, just got neutered after getting loose numerous times and accosting neighbors (overly friendly, not aggressive) and causing a dog fight with my two girls while out on a walk (he was loose and charged us from a block away - my girls being on leash had no way to get away from him so defended themselves when he jumped on them). When he is out in his yard and I let the girls out, he jumps up against the privacy fence and at 70 lbs. I'm afraid he's going to knock it down. I always take my dogs in the house if he's out. Long story short, they are your neighbors and you should try to avoid antagonizing their dogs. Maybe you should try taking Mozart to different locations to train for distractions.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 1:14pm PST 
Well...that is a good point. I do take my pups elsewhere now. Getting into it with the neighbors is really not worth it. My situation ended with me having to get a peace order against the dog owner whose dogs STILL jump and make noise (which he blames my dogs for.)

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong...it is just a matter of how much do you want to put up with.

I DON'T want him berating me every time his dogs bark, so I just take mine down the road a little...(thought I can't resist shooting him a dirty look whenever his dogs start up.)
[notify]
Wiggles BN

wiggles is my- name ,digging is- my game

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 3:40pm PST 
If you are not taking Mozart out every time there dogs are out then I dont think you are doing anything wrong, after all it is your yard (although getting a fence may be a good idea). You have to remember that they are shelties, shelties bark...they are very loud dogs. I would suggest, as others have, going to a different place to train sometimes. Just training him in your yard is teaching him to listen in your yard, not anywhere else. I have been teaching dog training classes for over 10 years now and people skills are very important. Don't be judgmental of the people or their dogs.
I had issues with a neighbors before, I had one neighbor that would yell at my dogs when they were in my yard (i later found out he was scared of dogs but I have a 4 ft fence so they couldn't get to him anyway), needless to say when he yelled my dogs would start barking (which make the situation worse). I sat down with him and politely explained to him that if he ignores my dogs they will ignore him. He stopped yelling at them and everything was fine.
I had another neighbor who had an aggressive mixed breed (GSD/dane named Angus..about 120 lbs) who would jump our fence and fight with my dogs, I politely asked him to keep his dog out of my yard because we need everyone's dog to be safe. When he said that he did not know how to control Angus, I offered to help. I never just go up to a neighbor and tell them that I can help them train their dog, If they ask for help then its a different situation.
You have to think about what you would find appropriate for example; if a person came up to you and offered to train your dog, you would probably be offended.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3