GO!

Seriously...why is this legal?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 7:14am PST 
Okay, I just got both of my dogs their rabies vaccines yesterday. The actual vaccine cost the same for both of them. However, I had to buy the tag. Sanka's tag was more than double the cost of Kato's tag.

Why? Because Sanka isn't neutered. I get the premise is with the whole spay and neuter thing, but it's like the government is forcing me to put my dog's under the knife. Give your dog surgery or pay more than double the price on things.

The premise just doesn't sit well with me. I have to pay more than double because my dog has his balls.

Edited by author Thu May 3, '12 7:55am PST

[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 7:21am PST 
Yup, that's how it goes. I pay $5 a year for my boys tags cause they are neutered. If they weren't it would be $13.50. Same goes with a females being spayed or not. Makes no sense.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 7:22am PST 
I've always taken slightly higher fees for an intact dog than a speutered dog for granted; it's what I grew up with. When you say the fee is "double," what are we talking about? If the speutered fee is $5, I don't think $10 is unreasonable, especially if the fee is going to support animal-related programs. OTOH, there's one city in this area that has a basic dog registration fee of $25--and doubling that doesn't seem nearly as reaasonable.
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 7:50am PST 
I would try not to take it personally.

There are a lot of morons out there, and morons that own intact dogs let them roam as they're usually more inclined to do. More roamers ='s more A/C needed to pick them up and handle any puppies they're likely to produce when they're dumped off on the city's dime too. Someone has to pay for all that, and how are they going to determine which owners of intact dogs are more inclined to keep them responsibly over ones that aren't?

The additional fee isn't your fault obviously, nor is it necessarily fair, but although it stinks there is reasoning and necessity behind it all thanks to all the morons. Think of all the people that have to pay for city A/C via their taxes and have never even owned a pet at all, or those who own so called "dangerous breeds" who pay out the wazoo in higher home insurance premiums just because people have been morons about those breeds in the past shrug

Edited by author Thu May 3, '12 7:52am PST

[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 7:53am PST 
I don't take it personally, but I do think it a bit ridiculous. I highly doubt the real trouble makers are regularly vaccinating their dogs.

$20 for Kato and $60 for Sanka. I realize that's actually triple the cost. I thought it was a little less for Sanka, but looking at the bill, nope...triple.

Edited by author Thu May 3, '12 7:54am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:08am PST 
This must just be the way things are in your area. Here when we get a rabies tag it is just given to us,and the price of the shots are the same.
We pay a difference in county licensing fees based on our pets being intact or speutered. For some odd reason it has always been that the price,Speuter or not,is higher for females. We were told it was to help fund county shelters because people who have females are more likely to use them to dump off unwanted litters. The real kicker about that at this point is no one from the general public can drop any animal off for free no matter the situation,even if an animal is truly stray,a fee of between $65- $125 per animal is charged. The only animals believed to be stray are the ones picked up by AC. It has not helped the situation at all,now instead of having at least a warm safe place to go in their last days,people who can not afford the fees,will just abandon their dogs to whatever fate,shoot,or drown them.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 11:26am PST 
IN NH it is a state law that ALL vets are required to send a copy of the rabies certificate to your town clerk every time your dog is vaccinated. Soo, if you get a vaccine, there is no way you can avoid licensing the dog because the town just bills you when they get the certificate.
We are at $9 for neutered and $20 for intact, OR you can get a kennel license if you have 5 or more dogs. That costs $20, too.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 2:08pm PST 
The city where we moved from annual licensing was $10.00 for 6 months or younger, spayed female or neutered male and $15.00 for female not spayed and male not neutered.

City before that spayed / neutered - $10.50 ~ spayed / neutered and owned by a senior citizen - $6.50 ~ unspayed / unneutered - $26.50

Just initially moving outside of those city's limits meant I no longer had to license the boys, but any stray that came into my yard was now my problem and if one of my boys went missing I was on my own. I was told more than once to flat out ignore any stray animals I saw, injured, starving, dying, they didn't care and told me I shouldn't either. If it was disturbing me or anyone on my property I could legally shoot it. When I'd argue that notion I was told I could instead pick the animal up and PAY to surrender them to a local shelter (at $50 a pop), or take it in on my own dime and try to rehome it but those were really my only other options.

It's really a crapshoot what you end up with, every where is different but it seems like the altered/unaltered thing is pretty common which is likely because in most cases those ARE the ones costing the city the most money and there is no way to differentiate "good" owners of intact dogs from "bad."
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 2:42pm PST 
We pay $10 each per 3 year license for our spayed/neutered dogs. If they weren't fixed it'd be $25 each.

It is simply paying property taxes on your pets.

Owning an animal that isn't fixed does statistically put more stress on the finances of the city/town in which you live. It results in more work for animal control and animal shelters because of wandering dogs, aggressive dogs and litters of puppies.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 2:44pm PST 
Here in LA people are not allowed to license (and technically, own) intact dogs unless they show they actively compete in sports or show or work (SAR, SD, etc) and show a certificate of training if too young to compete, or the dog is too sick to be sterilized (requires doctor's letter).

If you own an intact dog for this reason (exempt: SD) you still have to apply for an intact dog license, which is $100 per dog per year. If you plan to breed this dog then you have to apply for a breeding permit which is $235/year.

Otherwise, for a sterilized pet it's $20/year.

And you have to submit a copy of Rabies' vaccination proof.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9