GO!

BSL comes to Maryland...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 9:59am PST 
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/01/4457175/maryland-court-of-appeals-i mposes.html
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:26am PST 
I'm starting to truly understand the phrase "You can never go home again."
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:34am PST 
I was so sorry to see this. My brother has an obvious Pit mix, but owns his own home. It won't stop with renters, though. The implication is that by owning a Pit you are owning a dangerous animal. Like having a loaded gun lying around.

And many of the Pits I have known have been real sweeties. Love Bugs and anything but dangerous.

My neighbors that I have had trouble with own a Pit mix, but I have never had a gripe with the dog...only with the owners. I have a feeling that they think I have reported their dog, when in fact I haven't. This should put them in a foul mood all over again.

AND...who decides if a dog is a Pit Mix or not? Our Samoa may well have some Pit. And even little Dubs! (What the vet calls the Eastern Shore Special: Retriever/Herding Breed/Pit)

Fortunately my pair don't look like Pits. But how about a certain big headed Lab?
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:41am PST 
This is such a sad development.cry I hope that someone develops the good sense to repeal this law promptly. The original sponsors of the bill shuold benaughty When are people going to realize it's generally the person behind the leash and not the breed of dog that is a problem.confused
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:52am PST 
I'm on the email list of a fly ball group and they are wondering how they are going to hold tournaments...If hotels and inns start refusing dogs because of potential liabilities they won't be able to have big get togethers anymore.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 9:49am PST 
Gah! And I was so hoping that after the state of Ohio repealed their horrible BSL law that other states would at least take a pause on theirs for a thorough review and drop it.

Pits truly are lovebugs in general, even with the bare minimum of care I've seen these dogs recover fully and when given excellent care they truly shine after experiencing a horrible past. I wish our collective memory in the US wasn't so short. Remember when Dobies and GSDs were going through similar perception problems? At least people weren't taking the hysteria to the point of enacting BSL back then.

Ofcourse the subtext is that the powers that be want to go after a certain underclass (gangster culture) of people who tend to own pits to look tough. According to the CDC dog bite reports, doxies have more recorded bites, but nobody's going to propose BSL against them.naughty
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 10:38am PST 
Lu, I in fact remember that very well. My family actually owned both at that time. A short while later it became Rottie's that were to be feared and avoided. In my particular area it is not pitties,but Akitas that have the bad reputation. Leave it to me to pick the "most dangerous breed" to own. We have done alot of work and put alot of effort into making our pups the very best examples of what they can be raised properly and in the right hands. We use their good behavior and wonderful nature to educate others that it is not the breed but in fact the person holding the leash and intent of the breeders that make a dog what it is. Savvy and crew,let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I doubt other than to spread the word to those we know in Maryland we can do much since we have no political standing and can't vote in your area. Still say that there ar idiots out there who need naughty Take Care and wishes
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 11:13am PST 
The local Humane Society, which has a good record of rehoming Pits is afraid they will not be able to get them adopted anymore, because those who rent won't be able to own one.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 2:35pm PST 
I really don't get it. I think it's reasonable to assume that if a dog attacks someone so severely, the owner had plenty of warning about the dog's behavior. This wasn't a case of an excited dog knocking down a kid or a puppy nipping a finger- he severed an artery. In cases like that that, it seems like they could hold the owners responsible no matter what the breed. The new ruling is a pretty good guarantee that landlords won't allow tenants with Pits, and that's a pretty good guarantee that many more will end up put to sleep.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 6:30am PST 
We had a previous incident in my area where the two dogs were identified as Pits. One of them was plainly a purebred boxer, and the other looked like a shepherd mix.

(They chased some kid on a bike and he fell off and got bitten - nothing life threatening, but no doubt scary and painful.)

So other dogs are equally at risk...if someone decides to call them a "Pit Bull."
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3