GO!

Bill to Ban Dogs Riding in Drivers' Laps.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 5:18pm PST 
Quick clicky.

The concept I wholeheartedly agree with! I wish Rhode Island was more of a tend setting state though.laugh out loud
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 3:26am PST 
Can we pleeeeaaaaassseeee propose that up here in Ontario too?

I have had so many near misses due to people paying more attention to the dogs on their lap than the road.
I just want to yell at them silenced Do they not realize what happens if they get in an accident and the air bags go off?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 6:13am PST 
Good on them! I wish they would do something about this in Australia.

I also wish someone would pass a law here that made people safely restrain their dogs on the back of utes. I've seen so many dead kelpies on the roadside lately. Its awful.silenced
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 6:24am PST 
I wish PA would impose a rule like this. I once pulled off the road and went into a store to window shop to avoid being injured or killed by a woman who must have been around 90 years old,all of about 4ft 2in,driving a 1970's Cadillac,you know about 50 ft long,weighing 5 tons,and takes up 4 typical modern parking spaces with not one but 2 GSD's running around the front seat of her car, I know there were times she could not see because one or the other of the dogs was in her lap looking out the side window,she was actually driving most of the time in both lanes,and nearly scared the life out of me. I feel dogs,like small children belong on the backseat with a seatbelt for their own as well as the drivers and other road users safety. The only reason I didn't report her as a road hazzard was because there is no law here against it,and it's unlikely the police would have even responded. I felt absolutely awful for the other drivers that did stay on the road with her though.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 8:02am PST 
Lu's taller than me when we're sitting side by side. I'd never be able to see out the windshield if she were in my lap. This is one of those things like texting while driving...it's so pathetic that we even have to pass a law so people won't do that. It's gotten to the point now where every single car I see where someone is driving like they're drunk (almost once a day), sure enough they're texting.

I bet some of the people with dogs sitting on their lap are resting the cell on their backs so they can text.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 7:55am PST 
I too,think it is pathetic to have to even consider passing a law like this but until common sense and courtesy return this seems to be the only way to get what most people would feel is just being respectful and responsible,to apply equally to all. To most of us,if you love your dog,you want to keep it safe,also realizing if you are a responsible person who respects other road users that you have to do everything you can to achieve this goal because there are unfortunately drivers out there that think the road belongs to them,and them alone you have to be even more vigilant. It's a very sad state of affairs but an unfortunate reality in todays world. Here they did pass a law about texting while driving but failed to pass the part of the law that would ban all but hands free cellphone use,so you could easily be texting and get away with it simply by saying you were dialing the phone. That's pathetic.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 2:47pm PST 
I actually took my road test today and the tester was really impressed with Jewel's booster seat and harness that were in my backseat. Her brother is a road crash analysis or something like that and she says he has a harness for his dog too. way to go
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 9:08am PST 
I think adding more laws taking away people's ability to use their own common sense does absolutely nobody any good. People need to be educated and taught and beat over the head looking at dead dogs on the road, if need be to see the hazards of distracted driving and that would include having Pookie on your lap in the drivers seat. I am sick of the government taking over our lives and away our freedoms, all it does is make people break the laws(because idiots still drive and talk on their cell phones and text) and they are going to still have Pookie sitting on their lap and then the county or state get to make more money on fines.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 9:11pm PST 
So, Wyatt...you'd rather have the driver distracted with a pooch in their lap crash into someone else, potentially severely injuring them or worse so the dog person learns a lesson the hard way?

The law isn't for the lap dog people. The law is to protect everyone else from the lap dog people.
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 9:25pm PST 
I don't want anymore laws regarding pets. We have enough and we are fighting more and more each day. It will not stop people from having their dogs ride in their laps just as it does not stop people from talking on their cell phones or texting. Do I want to see an accident with a dog in the lap? Of course not but I see a whole lot more accidents from people on their blasted phones. Whenever I am on the road and I see a driver that is not driving normally, as I pass them I look and sure enough they are on their "bleepin" phone. I can truthfully say I don't think I have ever seen a bad driver with a dog in their lap.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3