GO!

How much is fine for hiking in CA state park with dog?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 2:29pm PST 
CA state parks often allow dogs in campgrounds and paved roads, but not on hiking trails (even though they allow horses and their big messy piles of poop). Does any one know what the fine is if you're caught? The laws are so restrictive that we are considering just doing it and paying the fine if caught, but not sure if we'll get kicked out of park, fined, etc. anyone with experience with this?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 2:55pm PST 
I live in CA. They have hiking areas in which you can take your dog if you so wish to hike with your dog. The issue with State parks is that you run the risk of running into a wild animal that woudl sooner gut and kill your dog to consume it then leave it alone. Taking your dog into certain State Parks is an invitation for trouble and not with the law enforcement.

It's no so much a poop issue with dogs in state parks either since many of them have 'native' or wild dog species like Coyotes running about or large cats. they poop too.

As for horses. You can probably ride horses in designated areas of certain state parks because the horse may be less of a target or because the horse can better defend itself? shrug I'm not much of a horse rider... i don't really fancy horses for anything more then food. shh

IF i were you i'd hit up petfriendly.com or something like that and find a dog friendly place to hike. CA is full of them.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 4:42pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. I have been to many dog-friendly hiking areas in CA. The problem is we are camping, and the places that allow both camping AND hiking are far away and not as feasible for a weekend trip, with a few exceptions.

Does anyone know how much the fine is?
[notify]

Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 4:58pm PST 
I hike alot with my dogs in CA. I stay off the trails in State parks as there are plenty of other trails that allow them. Many of the National Forest trails as well as some areas of BLM even allow them off leash as long as under voice control.
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 5:02pm PST 
Sorry dont know what the fine is. I am pretty respectful of the laws regarding where my dogs can go and they can't so I have never given it another thought. Depending on where you live, check out Mammoth Lakes and Reds Meadow, the dogs are allowed on the trails there and right out of the campground.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 9:20pm PST 
I suspect that in addition to a fine, you and your dog would be required to leave the park... That would be more inconvenient than finding a campground with dog-friendly hiking trails, IMO.
[notify]