GO!

I wish there was law stating ADEQUATE EXERCISE

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
♥ The- Doogers- ♥

Babe, Molly and- Houndy

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 12:03pm PST 
I have two neighbors, one on both sides of my house, that NEVER walk their dogs. The one neighbor dog is an overweight Beagle, the other neighbor is a German Shepherd. The German Shepherd runs in circles all day, especially when other dogs or people walk by the fence. I've heard spinning is due to inadequate exercise. She barks constantly. They let her inside at night, but she's outside all day. She constantly paces the yard, and I really think it's because she is never exercised or even let outside of the backyard. The Beagle is overweight and would bay all day if they would let him. He is also outside all day long, but let in at night. So I guess they don't have the most hard and unfair life, other than not getting walked.

I walk my 3 big dogs 30 minutes a day. I have even thought about offering to walk these two dogs (one at a time of course), but the German Shepherd is so untrained I don't think I can handle her. The Beagle I have taken for a few walks, but I have my own dogs to walk too. He LOVES going for walks with me, and gets so excited when he sees the leash, I just wish I could walk him more and help the German Shepherd, as well.

I just wish there was a law saying you have to give your dog adequate exercise. I feel so bad for the dogs in my neighborhood that NEVER get to go on a walk. confused Sorry, just had to get that off my chest confused Anyone feel the same way?
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 3:18pm PST 
Well, to be fair, you don't really *know* all those other dogs aren't getting walked. In the summer months I walk my dogs very early in the morning or late at night because it's too hot to walk during daylight hours. We rarely come across other people, so I'm sure I have neighbors who think my dogs don't get out either.

And how much is adequate? For an elderly dog? A Pug or a Border Collie? Though most people recognize that daily exercise is beneficial to our pets (and ourselves), I wouldn't want to see a law making it mandatory.

Edited by author Wed Apr 4, '12 3:31pm PST

[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 5:23pm PST 
You cannot uphold laws you finally cannot police....

What about ALL the laws broken daily ??.... What about those who dont give a toss.. and will continue that way all their lives ?

They dont get caught.... and if they do.. they simply do not care.

In an ideal world... but it isnt... and never will be....

Edited by author Wed Apr 4, '12 5:23pm PST

[notify]

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 5:39pm PST 
I understand how frustrating that is. Kills me every time I see one of those ballooned beagles, and around here it's an frequent occurrence.

With regards to lack of walking though, I've had people approach me about "never walking my dogs" they based this upon never seeing me around the neighbourhood with them.
Fact is, I load my dogs into the car twice a day and take them to the woods for an off-leash hike for over an hour each time. They wouldn't know this because they don't see me leave the house with them, just my car driving away.
(Another is that I "never feed my dogs" which again is vastly untrue)

With you being a direct neighbour, I think that would obviously give you a bit better view on if these dogs do get out.
But as far as laws go, as others have stated how do you generalize?
If they say dogs must be taken out for say "at least 30 minutes of exercise" per day. That's still not enough to keep a Border Collie from going absolutely neurotic.

All in all I think there should be a test for people to even OWN dogs to begin with....Dream as I may, they're just too costly both money and timewise to enforce.
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 6:46pm PST 
It would be a hard law to enforce. But to be fair, I'm sure my neighbors think I *never* walk my dogs, either, because I never walk them in the neighborhood. We drive to a park and I walk them there. Unless they stalk me, they would have no clue.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 7:58pm PST 
I know how you feel too about overweight beagles. You have no idea how many owners i wanna smack because they tell me Jake is too thin. Jake weights 30lbs. He's just lean and fit. My neighbors probably think i never walk my dog. I do not walk jake in our neighborhood unless i'm low on gas or am extremely tried. Usually i load him up in the car and take him to the outdoor mall about 40 minutes away and walk there while browsing shops and training him to be good in public situations. I mean i have to be desperate to walk in our neighborhood. Not saying its a bad place. It's a great space with lots of trees and squirrels and ever teasing cats but i prefer to walk in the outdoor mall even though i have to pay for parking. Makes me feel safer and gets jake great socialization to people.

Your lucky 30 minutes works for you also. Jake and I walk for about an hour in the morning usually around 6:30 am for his morning walk and then at night from about 8:30-9:30 and he wears a backpack with some water bottles in it for weight baring to make him tired.

Spinning can be a sign up pent up energy since it's a way to releave it but unless you know the dog you can't be sure. My grandma's shepard and I can run 3 miles and then she'll come inside and insist on paying fetch or going swimming on top of that because she has so much energy.

But i do hate to see dogs not getting exercise and overweight dogs make me even more heart broken since it just leads to health problems.

But if you can't force human children to get off their butter ball butts and go play outside for 60 minutes a day then you're for sure not gonna have people getting policed to walk their dogs.
[notify]
♥ The- Doogers- ♥

Babe, Molly and- Houndy

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 9:02pm PST 
This was just a wish of mine. I am completely aware that it's never going to be made into a law. Should have made that clearer in my post.

I am saying "adequate exercise" as a general statement, however much exercise the dog needs until it's tired out.

I am not saying every dog needs 30 minutes a day, that's what my OWN dogs need in order to be tired out, as they are all older. Every dog is different.

I guess this post was kind of a waste of my time. I just wanted to try to express my feelings towards this, but I guess this wasn't the right place as many people disagree with me.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 4:21am PST 
Doogers, I was using the "30 mins" as an example as in if they were to enforce a law.

No one here is outwardly disagreeing with you IMO. I'm sure we would ALL prefer if people took proper care of their pets. If it were plausible to have a law, that'd be great.
In a perfect world we wouldn't even have to think of such laws.

But also as Bingley and I said, we both don't walk our dogs around the neighbourhood so we both have neighbours that assume we don't walk either.,
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 4:53am PST 
One of my biggest pet peeves is people who don't walk their dogs! Not so much the people who miss out the odd day here and there, but those who go weeks without walking the dog. I just dont see the point in owning a dog if you can't physically meet it's needs.

Like others have said though, it would be a totally unenforceable law.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 6:52am PST 
Doogers, I think you'll find that most dogsters agree with you...that it's really sad to see dogs lead lives like that. There's nothing wrong with venting here, many of us do because most fellow dogsters understand. There are a lot of people out there who don't meed the needs of their dogs, for a variety of reasons. It's just that other than outright cruelty, it's tough to legislate proper care. Heck, it's even hard to get a person convicted (in my state, anyway) of criminal animal cruelty charges. That also ticks me off to no end. I often find myself wishing things were different, too.

I quite honestly can't imagine keeping dogs and never walking them (or doing some type of activity at least). Dogs are meant to move, not be sedentary creatures. It's one of my greatest joys in life to take my dog outside, hike and explore the world together. We go out all year round, we love the snow, even mild rain. I sit at work all day just waiting and thinking about getting out with my girl. Where should we go today? Maybe we'll climb that ravine, or check out the stream below today. It's a beautiful day out...can't wait to hug my pup and go for a hike this afternoon.

Dogster dogs are pretty lucky...big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3