GO!

Can the owner of an unaltered loose male dog be made to pay at least part of the vet bill?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Hailie

Hey leave my- family ALONE!

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 1:00pm PST 
Before I ask this do not tell me to take her to a rescue!
My friend's German shepherd was at the vet not long ago to make sure she was healthy and everything. The vet spotted a scar on her belly near where she would have a spay scar.He told us she was spayed so she was allowed to run in her owners fenced yard. She will jump or climb the fence and come to my house so her owner is letting her stay here and provides me with food and pays me to care for her. She had been back at her owners for a week a few weeks ago and she finally got tired of his little Boston terrier nipping her ears and climbed the fence. She was waiting on our porch when we got home. There has been a male lab that runs around town we know he is not altered and he has been breeding with every female he can even through fences. A few weeks prior we caught him trying to breed with Maggie and she is spayed. Now however Hailie is showing signs that she is pregnant. I have known of another dog who was supposedly spayed getting pregnant. Can the owner of the lab be made to pay for the spay?Hailie would not do well in a rescue or a shelter as she has been abused in her past and therefor will run if you move too suddenly or if a stranger tries to give her food. Her owner cant feed her because she will run from him but she will stay at my side when I put her bowl down for her. She has shown no signs of resource guarding or dog aggression but she is still somewhat shy. She has come out of her shell a little but I am afraid that this could set her back a little now that she will have to be spayed.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 1:40pm PST 
Didn't you ask this same exact question when your dog Tundra got pregnant?
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 1:44pm PST 
I suggest that you have her spayed now and have the pregnancy terminated no matter the cost to you. Your dog, your responsibility.
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 3:27pm PST 
Your dog, your responsibility. While the owner of the male does bear responsibility - if she wouldn't have been left out, she wouldn't be pregnant. That's how the law usually sees it as well, for better or for worse.

Dogs shouldn't be left unattended in a back yard whether they are intact OR altered. Anything can happen. Dog thefts are on the rise with the economy in a slump, wild animal could attack, you just don't know.

Is there a reason you did not catch the signs of her being in heat? Swollen vulva, bloody discharge, etc? Females typically are not receptive to impregnation until over a week after they first show these signs. Given what happened with Tundra I would have thought you'd be especially paranoid about this happening again.

You need to do a spay/abort if she is indeed pregnant.

ETA: Didn't catch that this was your friend's dog. The same thing still applies to her, however. Her responsibility.

She can attempt to take the owner of the male dog to small claims court, however, it's not likely to be ruled in her favor as in-heat females are considered an "attractive nuisance" - regardless of whether or not the owner knew it or not.

Edited by author Sat Dec 31, '11 3:33pm PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 3:35pm PST 
Didn't you just post about getting her spayed & how to keep her quiet for 2 weeks? Honestly, your posts are so confusing & contradictory I do not know how to respond. In the GSD forum you asked us to welcome your new dog. Now she is not yours?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 3:54pm PST 
Aughhhhhhh.
IMO, a spay now will certainly be MUCH LESS stress on her than a litter. BTW... I HOPE Tundra is now spayed????????
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 9:23pm PST 
Both of the dogs were at large. It is each owners responsibility to keep their dogs contained whether altered or not, and neither one was doing that. The owner of the female is the pot calling the kettle black.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 11:13pm PST 
Did anyone else just get serious Déjà vu?
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 11:16pm PST 
I must be psychic... I knew who had started this thread the moment I read the title, without even seeing the username. OP, don't you think people are getting a little wary of your drama? It's kind of a "boy who cried wolf" situation. We don't know what to believe anymore.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 1:46am PST 
The short answer to your question is,NO. The reasons Samson gave you are the exact ones I would have given. I had this happen to me more than 20 years ago. My female should have been done with her heat,was tethered,in a fenced yard. Aloose male jumped the fence and bred with her. When I looked into it being that I allowed a female in heat to be outside unsupervised the owner of the male was not responsible even though the male was running at large,a violation of the law at the time and we were in full compliance of the law. Terminate the pregnancy and have the female spayed so that this will no longer be an issue. You cannot hold the owner of the male responsible at all.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6