GO!

Wondering if someone knows...is it legal to hand out "puppy mill" literature outside stores

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 2:46am PST 
I think that is an amazing idea. You've also received some brilliant advice ^^ I think I might have to do this at the mall near here. We've already had one pet store shut down. Maybe we can get another one shut down, haha.

I think that a lot of pet supply stores would be so much better if all they sold was food and pet supplies. But they sell animals (not just puppies and kittens) which bothers me, too.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 8:07am PST 
Pretty sure you can't stand inside the mall as that is private property. I don't know if you can even stand in the parking lot.
The group that protests around here stands in the grass between the parkign lot and the side of the road. The tricky thing they do to spread the message inside the mall is walk around in the mall with anti-mill shirts on smile
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 9:06am PST 
If you're on private property, they can ask you to leave, and even call the police if they'd like, and it's within their rights. Because it's their property.

But if you get their permission, that's a different story. If the store itself won't give you permission, find a store nearby that will.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 1:05pm PST 
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary has an e-book about organizing peaceful petstore protests. I haven't read it all, but check it out:
How To Organize a Pet Store Protest

Should be helpful. They do this kind of thing all the time.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 1:16pm PST 
I would also suggest if you need help/advice contact this group:
http://www.thepuppymillproject.org

They do pet store protests all the time and have helped get pet stores shut down. way to go
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 5:33am PST 
Thanks everyone! big grin Oz cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9

Bruno and Bianca, thanks for the resources! I'll definitely check them out. way to go

It warms my heart that many are willing to take such an action, but perhaps part of the issue is not knowing how to organize it and also not knowing what your local laws are.

The only pet stores I know of that sell puppies are in the mall. But you are right...you could probably hand out several flyers, reach out to a few and educate them, then be asked to leave.

Someone mentioned that if most knew where many of these puppies came from, they WOULD walk the other way. Let me look into this a bit. Thanks dogsters! blue dogsnoopy
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 5:34am PST 
Hey Bruno...I didn't get anything on the link? thinking

Bianca, I sent an email hoping to get some suggestions and feedback...thanks again! way to go

Edited by author Mon Dec 12, '11 5:45am PST

[notify]
Josefina

My ACD is- tougher then- your [breed]

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 8:35pm PST 
I have done this but the store was outside & I was in the street, so they technically couldn't stop me but it really twisted their giblets lol wink
[notify]
Coco

Bark bark bark- bark = Hi! Hi!- Hi! Hi!

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 10:04pm PST 
Civil disobedience has caused much more progress for both humans and animals than being timid and researching your local laws first. I feel if you are passionate about something, get it done regardless of laws- especially when rubbing against the grain of laws regarding mall businesses "privacy." I have battled my "local" mall time and time again, but on an unrelated front of pushing slave labor products (most anything made in China.)

First think, are you going to be coming back any time soon to buy from other stores in that mall? If no, don't be afraid of being banned! Even if you change the mind of one family, you will have an even bigger effect than any person can imagine.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 7:23am PST 
applauseIt is wonderful living in a country where you do have freedom of speech. It is ignorance that people buy puppies from pet stores and I am sure people would not be buying from pet stores if they knew some of the horror stories what some of these dogs go through. I do not see any reason why you cannot pass out flyers (information) on puppy mills. I would not identify that particular store as you may get into a legal issue. Add some web sites to the that advocate against puppy mills so that these people can be better informed. It is good to see that there are a lot of pet stores that do not sell puppies any more. I think in some areas it is illegal to sell puppies in stores. Go on the internet and find some of these groups that are against puppy mills. You can probably get better information from them what you can and cannot do.
Best of luck and praises to you for trying to do something against puppy mills.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2