GO!

Interesting question

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 7:27pm PST 
I think the woman with the dog's comment was out of line. Add on that she should have at least enough control of her dog to keep it away from a kid.

But I think it also depends on the behaviour of the child.

At the dog park I occasionally visit, I have noticed there tend to be 2 types of kid/parent combinations.

1. The child stays by the parents side and quietly observes the dogs. And politely asks other dog owners if s/he can pet their dogs.

2. Child running amok in the park, throwing sticks around, chasing dogs etc. (Dog usually acting in a similar manner). And parent either supervising thinking their child is safe (and then freaking out when a dog knocks the kid down) or absently chattering away with the other dog park users.

Now obviously, the first one I'd see as fine. Child sticking close to parent should be relatively out of harm's way, and not making themselves a target.
The second one I have an issue with. None of my dogs tend to bother with kids too much, but if one is waving a stick around or kicking a ball I can bet 2 of my 3 would probably try to steal the toy away from the kid, or at least want to.

And really, while their training would prohibit it, it's something I would put down to normal dog behaviour.

If your kid wants to play in the dirt and run around, there are plenty of parks that don't have carnivores 8x the size of the kid running around rambunctiously.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 11:23pm PST 
I feel if parents are going to bring their kids into the dog park (especially a large dog park) they should understand they're taking the risk their kid might get jumped on (same for themselves). It would be nice if all the dogs in the park were perfectly behaved but that's never going to happen so you do assume some risks when you choose to use a dog park.

Like Cobain said, it depends on the type of child whether I feel it's appropriate for them to be there. A child standing quietly next to their parent and acting in a calm manner is much less likely to have a dog bother them and if something does happen, the parent is right there to deal with it. I do have a problem with the kids that play in the park like it's a playground or think they should be able to sit on the ground.

If the lady was ok with her kid potentially being jumped on, then she should have gone in. If she wasn't, she probably shouldn't have taken him/her there in the first place as many owners wouldn't have warned her their dog was a jumper.

On the other hand, I don't feel dogs that are fearful of children to the point where they'll charge and potentially bite them should be in a dog park that allows children. Some dogs aren't dog park material and imo, that's a type of dog that shouldn't be going to the dog park. Whether or not you agree with the rules of children being allowed in the park, if they are allowed, it's not safe for that type of dog to be there.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 9:21am PST 
Interestingly enough, none of the dog parks I've seen near me allow kids at all. For good reason: safety. Also, I live in a highly litiginous state, someone will always wind up getting sued, namely those trying to take care of the DP. I'm also of the mind that there are numerous parks where kids can go to, and precious few that allow dogs offleash in my state.

That said, if I frequented DPs and one allowed kids and I had a dog that might injure a child, I simply wouldn't go there. The mother did the right thing, and so did the jumping dog's owner. It wouldn't hurt to give that dog a few more minutes and the owner time to pack up before Mom goes in with the child.
[notify]

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 9:36am PST 
I agree with Steel and Sanka...why should the lady with the child have to leave, especially if the park allows children? The lady & her kid had just as much right to be there as the lady with the jumper. I think the mom did the right thing to leave and keep a bad situation from happening...it's just a shame that apparently she cannot take her dog there again.
[notify]
Jack

CGC'd!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 12:23pm PST 
I don't think kids belong in dog parks. There are plenty of places that they can play and very few for our dogs. Maybe this is the only off-leash park in the area; is she just out of luck for having any place to take her dog? Kids are human too, but dogs see them differently. They are small, active, and unpredictable with high pitched voices, and it’s not unreasonable that an already excited dog would greet such a creature with a jump.
Having a dog that is plainly aggressive and untrained is one thing, but the natural course of activities in a dog park make it dangerous for small children. A dozen or more amped-up 50 lb+ animals tearing around is what tends to happen in a dog park, which is why kids shouldn’t be there.
Jack likes kids and he’s very careful when they’re charging around, but Louie tore around at his very impressive top speed with very little regard for where he was going, and he knocked down a kid or two that was in the dog park. I don't think I should have to leave for something like that, and neither should any other dog owner.
[notify]
Kazba

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 12:37pm PST 
I think if you have to warn people about your dog, then you should not bring your dog out to a park. Or she is just trying to get out of being responsible if the dog did jump on someone and hurt them, she could say I told you he was a jumper. This is another reason we do not go to dog parks.
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 4:49pm PST 
Steele-It's a shame the woman made the lady and child feel that way. No wonder this situation bothered you so much!wink
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 5:28pm PST 
I agree with whoever said that you should be able to call your dog off of jumping on people before going to a dogpark, just like you should be able to call them off humping or harassing another dog. It's rude and shouldn't be tolerated. Saying "my dog WILL jump on your kid" is an admission that you have no control or intention to stop them, and that's irresponsible.

Dog-savvy children are fine with me in dog parks, if the parents understand that accidents happen and they still might get knocked over. I just don't think TODDLERS should be in dog parks because they are too young to understand dog behavior and kind of unsteady on their feet in the first place. A five-year-old is kind of on the edge- depends on the kid whether I would feel comfortable having them around my dog.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2