GO!

Signs

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 8:02pm PST 
LOL, now I'm wondering if anyone has ever been kicked out of a shoe store for coming in barefoot.

Our park is near a busy main road so I would hope people have leashes or really good recall. The park isn't very big, there is only one big hiking trail, there is a smaller harder trail but that is short and merges up with the main trail later on.

I wish people had better recall over their kids. Yesterday a tollder charged us and started talking to Scruffy and then he waved his hands in Scruffy's face and slapped him on the side of his muzzle. The dad was just like "come here, kid.....hey, kid don't do that, kid." Between the times he was yelling at his constantly whining dog to "leave it" because his dog was crying coz he wanted to see Scruffy. Grrr. Luckily Scruffy LOVES kids.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 3:45pm PST 
lol, Bruno, you'd think a shoe store would love people with no shoes on entering their store...those people are usually in urgent need for shoes!
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 12:51pm PST 
I don't think it's the same thing as making up some arbitrary rule in a park or store. At least where I live, the leash law is just that-- it's a law. It's not just some rule they just made up for a park or other place even though you usually only see those signs in parks. So yes you "have to" obey it in as much as you "have to" obey any other minor law. If people choose not to that's up to them but if they get caught there is a $500 fine. thinking

If you are talking about stores/businesses, I think they can have any rules they want as long as it doesn't violate the rights of the patrons, discriminate or otherwise violate the law. I think they can also kick you out if you don't follow the rules because they are a private business. Just like a dog park can make any rules they want, charge money to enter, require your dog to have certain health checks, etc...
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 2:18pm PST 
believe it or not, "must be leashed" isn't just a sign at the park, in many places it's an actual city/county ordinance. so no, you can't just put up whatever sign you want and have penalties if there's no statute governing it.

the 'must be leashed' signs here actually have the actual statute citation on the bottom.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 7:21pm PST 
What sparked my interest was a sign at a ballpark owned by the township, so public land. Everyone talks about local laws on it, but I haven't the slightest idea of where to find those. If there is a law on leashing dogs in public, it sure isn't enforced at all here.

And $500 for unleashed dogs!!?? That's insane! Good grief, if something so minor has such a big fine, I'd hate to know what the fine is for something more life threatening, like speeding.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 12:35am PST 
I know, it's pretty steep! And it's not something that is just a law on the books but never actually enforced either... In previous years police have been known to "stake out" some areas in order to give fines. Such as the area near the entrance to the dog beach-- if they saw someone let their dog off the leash early, before they entered the gate for the dog beach, they'd give them a ticket!

The fine for not picking up after your dog is also up to $500 here, as is the fine for using a dog park without having a dog park tag. silenced Of course I ALWAYS see people in the dog park whose dogs are not wearing the tag so that one doesn't seem to be enforced that I've ever seen.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 6:56am PST 
Oh, are you talking about this in Chicago? If so, that kind of makes more sense to me. More people around, so I see it as potentially more of an issue.

$500 is still steep though!laugh out loud
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 10:56am PST 
I generally don't obey leash laws in parks, especially on trails, unless there is someone else nearby. Samson has excellent recall, and is generally inclined to stick near me anyway. He also has a very clear indicator when he knows there is another dog nearby, so I can leash him up when I see that too.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 3:01pm PST 
Yeesh... I wouldn't want to try on a pair of shoes after someone else who's been walking around barefoot! Yuck! laugh out loud

All public parks/lands here are subject to county leash laws unless otherwise posted, with hefty fines for non-compliance.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2