GO!

Signs

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 3:46pm PST 
I was thinking the other day about how if we dog owners see a sign that says dogs must be on leash, we have to obey.

But...it just seems strange, doesn't it? I mean, if I managed a public park and put up a sign that said "All humans must wear pants $50 fine" could I go around collecting $50 from people wearing shorts?

Or what if I requested people to keep their kids on leash? How far could we take it?

I don't know...I just find the on leash signs strange in their own way. I get their use and am thankful for them in some rare occasions.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 4:15pm PST 
The state park I usually go to have signs that say dogs must be on leash. Half the time people ignore the signs and will only leash up when the park ranger catches them and tells them to leash up or leave. I really wish more people would obey the signs. There is only one guy who I see regularly with his dog at the park who can have his dog off leash because he has great verbal control over his dog. Everyone else, not so much.

How about those "No shirt, no shoes, no service" signs? Do people really get thrown out of store for not wearing shirts or shoes?

I think we could not ask people to leash up their kids simply due to the fact kids are not dogs. Too bad, I think some parents should be leashing up their kids. big laugh

Edited by author Thu Nov 24, '11 4:21pm PST

[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 4:20pm PST 
I like the sign at the lake where we go. It says to pick up all dog poop. Yet the entire island that is posted is covered with geese and their poop! laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 4:57pm PST 
Grunt, there's a bike path that I ride with Kato. It has a sign that says all dog owners must pick up after their dogs. But the trail welcomes horse riders and says nothing about them picking up after their horses!laugh out loud

I can say, of all the times I went there, I never ran over dog poop, but horse poop is sometimes unavoidable!

As for kids on leash...I've had plenty just run up to me. I don't know if the kid is friendly or not. wink
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 5:36pm PST 
We get problems with summer traffic in the small town that I live near, in the restaurant I used to work with. People coming in off the lake without any shoes. We have definitely thrown them out before because of it. And yes signs are posted.

I don't really pay attention to on-leash signs at all unless there is someone else around. But I live so far out in the sticks that those kinds of signs are rare, since dog parks or just parks in general aren't all that common or anything.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 5:58am PST 
The local nature reserve and the woods at the back of my house both have signs stating dogs must be kept on lead. I'm yet to see anyone comply with that, including myself. Although thankfully here there is no law on keeping your dog on lead, you won't be fined for having your dog off. I was actually walking both mine through the woods the other week when we passed a National Trust worker ( who own the woods ) and he didn't so much as bat an eyelid.

Edited by author Fri Nov 25, '11 5:59am PST

[notify]
Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 7:01pm PST 
I used to disregard the 'keep pets leashed' rule whenever we got far enough back on some hiking trails...until my dogs fell off a cliff when they wondered off the path to explore a little.shock
Respect the rules, they have them for a reason.wink
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 10:11pm PST 
I think the reason they have them is to keep the idiots at bay and for liability reasons.

I too ignore the leash signs if I'm the only one out on the trail. If someone else is in the area, I'll either leash up or walk further away and keep Kato off leash. Plenty of people have seen me. None have said a word. I think most just don't care as long as they aren't bothered.

There also is this one trail at the state park. Most people who go there have their dogs off leash, so we're all cool with each other about it, so I rarely worry about the leash law there. If any park rangers were to show up, I'd love for them to yell at me for not having my dog on leash....cause then I can yell at them for not keeping this trail groomed and doing their job. We have to cut our own trees when they fall across the path. This one tree has been down so long, there's now a permanent re-route around it.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 12:02am PST 
"How about those "No shirt, no shoes, no service" signs? Do people really get thrown out of store for not wearing shirts or shoes?"

LOL, I have indeed been asked to leave a store for not having shoes on. Ine of my flipflops broke so I was barefoot (not a problem to me, I go barefoot all summer wherever I can) and a clerk asked me to leave... in a clothing store, of all places! There was no sign posted either. I thought it was ridiculous and I've never been back to that store again.

I let Bruno off-leash in a lot of places, but lately he has decided that he doesn't have to listen to me and was running wildly all over the place today, (even up to another dog- horrors!) so I think it's time for a refresher course in recall training and no more privileges for a bit.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 8:02pm PST 
LOL, now I'm wondering if anyone has ever been kicked out of a shoe store for coming in barefoot.

Our park is near a busy main road so I would hope people have leashes or really good recall. The park isn't very big, there is only one big hiking trail, there is a smaller harder trail but that is short and merges up with the main trail later on.

I wish people had better recall over their kids. Yesterday a tollder charged us and started talking to Scruffy and then he waved his hands in Scruffy's face and slapped him on the side of his muzzle. The dad was just like "come here, kid.....hey, kid don't do that, kid." Between the times he was yelling at his constantly whining dog to "leave it" because his dog was crying coz he wanted to see Scruffy. Grrr. Luckily Scruffy LOVES kids.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2