GO!

Bristol, CT wants to ban Pitbulls!!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 2:15pm PST 
Please keep me posted if you find out a public hearing is scheduled to discuss breed specific legislation in the near future. I moved to Bristol last month with my dear companion and can't imagine how I could be here without her! Please and thank you!

-Bailey
[notify]
Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 2:50pm PST 
my mom agrees butI dont at all. I think it is unfair to the dogs and the responsible owners. It is awful but I would hate it aalot less if tjey just moved the dogs out of the city instead of killing them but I would still hate it.
[notify]
Shadow

I'm the best- kisser ever- born!

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 6:53pm PST 
It seems the meeting to discuss the BSL is scheduled for December 21st at 4:30 PM. There's a petition going around to stop the BSL, and there's also going to be a protest held outside. I'm not sure if they're going through with this discussion on the BSL as there's been some conflicting information as to whether or not it will take place. I think the media involvement has put some pressure on the plans for the BSL thank God. Here's hoping that Bristol will wise up and cancel the BSL plans.

http://www.facebook.com/events/129860260455672/

http:// www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-city-of-bristol-connecticut-from-p assing-bsl
[notify]

Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 9:46pm PST 
Thanks for the update and the link to the petition, Shadow!

I signed and passed it around facebook. I really hope the media pressure puts a stop to the BSL.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 7:51am PST 
I hope that the people of the city of Bristol and the state of CT are sucessful in stopping BSL from happening in their area and other groups working for the same cause in their area are sucessful as well.
The public and the city leaders as well as the media need to stop making any specific breed the target instead of holding those truly responsible,to account for their actions. Yes, some dogs even with the best intentions of the breeder and being in the right hands may go wrong but that doesn't end with Pitbulls,GSD's,Akitas,Boxers,Rotties,or other so called "bully breeds" things can go wrong with any breed. Any breed can end up in the wrong hands,have bad breeding and be agressive. Let's start focusing on the problem dogs and irresponsible people who allow their dogs to do these things rather than making whole breeds and responsible people suffer for what a specific dog or person has allowed the dog to become. Kc if they move pitbulls out of Bristol,CT. What's to stop someone from choosing to move your breed out of your area because one beagle or bassett or mix of either bit someone? That's the real problem with BSL it starts with one or a few breeds,then another becomes a target.
I'm not trying to pick on you,just trying to help you understand that even relocating the dogs is not the answer. Holding the right people responsible is.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 9:01am PST 
"Any breed can end up in the wrong hands,have bad breeding and be agressive. Let's start focusing on the problem dogs and irresponsible people who allow their dogs to do these things rather than making whole breeds and responsible people suffer for what a specific dog or person has allowed the dog to become"

Well said, Mika & Kai!

I think BSl is flourishing because you can't ban the people, that bad element, that tends to flaunt and use pit bulls for nefarious reasons. So...ban the whole dog breed instead. If that element started using Akitas or Standard Poodles, they'd rise to the top of the BSL list in a hurry. It's the idiot humans, not the dogs.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 7:34am PST 
Lucille,
Akitas are already banned in some areas. They are also a targeted breed. Thankfully certain elements of the public aren't as aware of them. Our local shelter euthanizes Akitas as soon as they come in. There are areas of California where they cannot live and I'm sure if I checked I could find more. I feel educating people about what they are getting into with pet ownership,and the actual responsibilities of meeting the dogs needs and making the dog a good member of society is very important and needs to start with young people learning that there are commitments,responsibilities to the dog,and to their community when they decide to get a pet.Unfortunately that is not the education they get. To many pets are disposable,train themselves,and grow up to be what they are supposed to be,and the only responsibility the pet owner has is to feed and water the dog when they think about it or feel like it. People who have that type of attitude are a much bigger problem in society and as you said unfortunately cannot be banned. It would be nice if society recognized and worked at making a different dynamic possible for all breeds so that people wouldn't need to resort to BSL out of panic. I have made the effort to make my Akitas good neighbors and try to show the breed in it's best light,when someone does comment on how nice they are,how well behaved,etc... and that they are nothing like the monsters they heard they can be I am also honest enough to say that it takes alot of time,energy,and effort,to get them the way mine are and that they are a difficult breed not everyone can work with and tell them mine are only good because I put in many,many hours of effort seeing that they were socialized and continue to be,trained daily and will be for life,and that having made the commitment to own them it is my obligation to see that they stay the way they are. I also tell people just because mine are good doesn't mean they can own one and expect the same unless they are willing to dedicate alot of time,like at least an hour a day for the first year or so to making certain they meet enough new people,several hours a day for life in basic training,broken into 15 min segments, time finding the right breeder and waiting for the right pup,not necessarily getting the puppy that most appeals to them visually but letting the breeder make the best choice of placement etc... Most usually decide by then that mine are great dogs but more than they are willing or able to take on. To me that's a good thing.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 11:27am PST 
Just saw this posted on Facebook today! smilesmilesmile

The Bristol Press

Dog's Day: City won't act to ban 'dangerous' canines.

Wenesday November 30, 2011
By Steve Collins Staff Writer

BRISTOL —There is no chance the city is going to try to ban any breeds of dogs anytime soon. All three members of the newly appointed Ordinance Committee said Wednesday they intend to put the issue behind them as quickly as possible. City Councilor Ken Cockayne, the panel’s new chairman, said he’s been bombarded with e-mails from as far away as Croatia urging him to drop the idea. “We’re going to get rid of that issue,” said Cockayne, who owns two dogs.

The Ordinance Committee in October talked about the possibility of banning “dangerous breeds” of dogs, including pit bulls, but took no steps toward writing a new law or trying to implement one. Officials recognized from the start that the concept posed problems. They didn’t expect, however, to be hammered by dog owners the world over. City Councilor Kevin Fuller, who also serves on the new ordinance panel, said messages from one computer server spitting out pro-dog e-mails had to be blocked at City Hall to keep it from overwhelming the inboxes of municipal leaders. Fuller said he never agreed that the concept of a ban was even worth exploring. “I don’t believe in banning any dog breeds,” Fuller said. He said there are dog owners that need to be more responsible, but that’s another matter entirely. Mayor Art Ward said he had nothing to do with raising the issue in the first place and doesn’t intend to interfere. He said the Ordinance Committee can handle it.

Some municipalities around the country have instituted restrictions on so-called “dangerous dogs,” but not many. A city lawyer who looked into it warned that enforcing such laws is tough. Cockayne, Fuller and David Mills, the other ordinance panel member, said they plan to put the dog ban issue to rest when they hold their first meeting at 4:30 p.m., Dec. 21 in the meeting room on the first floor of City Hall. “This is going to be a go-to-bed issue,” Fuller said. Cockayne said the matter will be resolved for good that day and won’t be raised again while he's in charge of the comittee.

Edited by author Thu Dec 1, '11 11:40am PST

[notify]
Shadow

I'm the best- kisser ever- born!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 3:30am PST 
I am so happy to hear this! Not only does it save countless dogs here in Bristol, but it also saves my Shadow from something that could have harmed him in the future. Thank you very much for the information, Scruffy, and thank God I don't have to worry about my Monkey Butt. smile

Edited by author Sat Dec 3, '11 3:33am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 9:08am PST 
cheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheerpartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartycheercheercheer cheercheercheercheercheercheercheer YAY!!!!! someone decided to show some common sense or at least a desire to be reelected.way to goway to goway to goway to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2