GO!

HELP!! Rue needs your support

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 9:07pm PST 
I am EMT/FFighter and I have a K9 partner, a shep her name is Rue, she is a search and rescue dog and she is an amazing partner. We found a new condo, explained our situation with Rue, and we were told it should be no issue. Other dogs were in the building, big dogs, little dogs. FOUR days before our move date the condo association said Rue is not a real service dog!! Only disabled individuals could bring in a service dog. We were told we could only move in if we left Rue. NOT A CHANCE. I do NOT know the rule about police K9s, or SAR k9s. But these dogs save lives and do an amazing service for us. And should have the same respect and consideration.

Edited by moderator Tue Oct 11, '11 9:36am PST

Edited by forums moderator
U

I miss you, U

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 9:25pm PST 
The laws that protect the rights of disabled people to have their live-in canine attendants apply only to (you guessed it) disabled people. You would need to have to lobby for a new law to achieve what you want. Personallly I'm sympathetic and am sorry you are going to have to go on looking for a place to live, but referring to your SAR dog as a "service dog" just isn't enough to make her one under the law.
[notify]
John

Sqeuaky?

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 10:46pm PST 
Yep sorry Rue but NoName is right.

Your dog is not a service dog under the laws of the US, she is a working dog and isn't afforded any federal protection though there might be some state laws that protect SAR dogs and K9 officers.

While no one doubts that Rue is an awesome dog and does a great service for her community her work does not carry the same magnitude as a service dog's. A disabled person needs their service dog in order to live a safe and normal life, and uses their service dog every day. Most if not all persons with disabilities need help from their service dogs in their home, a SAR dog would never work at their home (save for a rare catastrophe) and so they don't get the same protection that service dogs are allowed.

I'm sorry that the condo association has decided not to work with you and I hope you can find a better living situation for you and your pup. I too wish there were more protections for working dogs and value the duties they perform, but a working dog will never be a service dog as defined by US laws their jobs are just too different.

Now, what you can do is look up your state's laws that pertain to working dogs and see if they offer any extra protections and who is afforded those protections. If you would be willing to list your state there are several people here knowledgeable in animal law that would be willing to look up the statutes for you.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 7:08am PST 
Thank you for your reply and your insight. It is very helpful to look at this situation at a different angle. And yes, I see the very important difference between an ADA dog and a SAR or Police K9. An ADA dog is a necessity, needed for daily function. And the rules in place to protect the dog apply to both the dog and the owner. I am in Florida and researched the rules last night. We have a Fl. Statute 403.18 I believe that they cover ADA dogs. But this pertains strictly to ADA dogs. But there is an underlining clause I believe that unifies both ADA dogs and SAR or Police K9s in the fact these animals are NOT PETS, Rue is my partner, and operates just as a human partner would. Since these dogs are not pets they should not be ruled under PET laws. Plain and simple. As you stated, some states feel this way. Some states have preclusion. Apparently, Florida may be behind the times. I dont care about the situation that happened to us. Its just sad cause this community excepts dogs, but Rue is over their dog limit and their attorney can say she is a shep and goes under the vicious breed clause. But when you take all the rules and laws away and look at the big picture. IT looks like this...... a condo community full of dogs, said they did not want to allow a SAR K9. Why? I have no idea, I am waiting for the letter from their group.
I would like to see changes here in Florida. Any additional assistance would be appreciated and opinions welcomed.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 8:32am PST 
You are right in my feelings as a SD rescue dogs deserve same housing rights as SDs. She /He risks their life to save others.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 3:24pm PST 
Well apparently quite a few people feel that way. There needs to be clarification in the statues. Looking closer at them there is a section (FL Statute 767.16 police dogs and service dogs are the only ones exempt from quarantine after a bite. lol Funny how again, the word service dog is left open. So do Fire dogs, and SAR dogs not apply here or do they mean service dog as ADA?

The local media is doing a story on this after what happened to Rue. So the condo association will get a little wake up call and we started making calls to have this corrected in our florida statutes.
[notify]
Sandy (aka- Thumper)

Stunned that- Dogster is going- away

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 3:52pm PST 
start a facebook page...I know that sounds like a lot of work, but if you really want to get the point across to lawmakers you need to have as many people as possible on your side..

Good luck...I personally don't think people with pets should be discriminated against, but that is the reality
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 4:36pm PST 
I could've sworn I responded to this post last night.

Did the condo association explain their reason why they changed their minds?
I'm in no way defending what has happened but was wondering, does the condo association have any breed restrictions your dog may fall under and that's why they are not wanting to allow Rue? Maybe they were OK with it until they checked with someone else and found out SAR dogs are not protected like service dogs.
The last apartment we rented before we bought a house used to allow any breed of dog but the rental company's insurance company changed coverage requirements on them. If the complex allowed certain breeds to live on their property as pets, the insurance company would cancel the policy immediately. No grandfathering was allowed, if you had a newly banned breed, you had to leave/get rid of the dog w/in a week.

I wish you luck in trying to get some level of protection for SAR dogs like Rue.

As far as I know, "Service Dog" means service dog for a person with a disability. No other dog can be called a service dog - SAR, police and fire dogs are working dogs. By saying "Service Dog" in any law, this is what they mean.

Edited by author Tue Oct 11, '11 4:41pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Oct 16, '11 4:30pm PST 
thank you for your thoughts.. there is a simple and logical underlying issue. In my case, I and my partner (Rue) need to be able to get on a bus, a plane, stay in a hotel and live in a house together in order to be available to save lives.. plain and simple. Other states have already amended this statute, its time for Fl too as well. and yes a facebook page was made under Rues name, search Rue Bowles. And we took it a step forward and took it to the media. smile

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_north_pinellas/d unedin/search-and-rescue-dog,-owner-declined-lease-at-condo

Now I am working on getting the statue improved. And I am pleased to announce Rue and I did get a new condo in a community that values working and service dogs.
[notify]
U

I miss you, U

Barked: Mon Oct 17, '11 7:58pm PST 
w00t!!!!! She did it! ABC Action News:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_north_pinellas /dunedin/search-and-rescue-dog,-owner-declined-lease-at-condo

(cl ose any spaces that might be in that URL)

cheer cheer cheer cheer cheer

Congratulations! You are doing a great thing here.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2