GO!

Neighbors dog on my property

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Duke Drakeo

Barked: Sun Apr 24, '11 5:53am PST 
My husband and I own ten acres of woods and our house sits in the middle. This week the neighbors dog has been on our front porch and in our yard FOUR times! My 3 year old Boxer does not like this and my NAID is terrified of the strange dog. My Boxer protects our NAID puppy and if he bites this dog when it's come on our property do I get in trouble? I don't want my Boxer to get put down for protecting his property and family and it scares me! What do we do and what could happen if my Boxer lashes out on this intruder? Please Help! We live in Ottawa County, Michigan BTW in case that dictates dog laws. Thanks
[notify]
Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Sun Apr 24, '11 7:23am PST 
If the dog is on your property, then you are not liable. They should keep their dog contained if they don't want bad things to happen to it. I do understand that stuff happens, and dogs do escape sometimes and that shouldn't label one as a bad dog owner, but since this is happening repeatedly, maybe you should go down and let the neighbors know that their dog could be in danger if they do not contain it. Not as a threat, but as a dog lover to another, hopefully, dog lover who should care about the well being of their dog.
[notify]
Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Sun Apr 24, '11 7:24am PST 
What is a NAID??
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Apr 24, '11 8:14am PST 
NAID= Native American Indian Dog (I think)

I would look up your local and state laws. I know where I live, your dog must be leashed or fenced in at all times, even on your own property.
[notify]
LOKI

im alittle on- the wild and- crazy side!

Barked: Sun Apr 24, '11 8:41am PST 
i would go over and inform the owners of the dog that you dont want it on your property and if it continues, i would call the police and atleast make a complaint report.so that you have proof of the situation.GOOD-LUCK and please keep us informed
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Apr 24, '11 9:32am PST 
Definately notify the dog's owner. Basically put them on notice that you have dogs and that their dog is definately not welcome on your property. Bad neighbors!! naughty
[notify]
Bailee

Here\'s my Wubba- - now play with- me!!

Barked: Sun Apr 24, '11 9:41am PST 
I would agree with notifying the neighbors. They may not realize their dog wanders that far from home so in letting them know you may be doing them a favor.

On a side note, I'm SO jealous! We would love to have 10 acres but until we win the lottery we will to settle with our (almost) 2 acres.
[notify]
Duke Drakeo

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 5:03am PST 
Yes the neighbors know he is on our yard all the time. My Boxer chased the dog off the property the 2nd time it came over and the neighbor was waiting at the end of our driveway she picked up her dog and headed back home no sorry, no hi, no nothing! One of the other neighbors, (we only have three it's a private drive) Has had the same issue he has a Malamute and a Husky and is super pissed about it messing with his dogs too. We are going to talk to them now that Easter is over. Thanks Everyone!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 5:39am PST 
The neighbor sounds like a nut-job!! Good luck - keep us posted.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 11:50am PST 
We've had the same problem. Except our house is on the far side of our 40 and the neighbors is on the far side of their acreage, so the dogs are traveling quite the distance from home.

After Trigger going to task with a couple of them didn't work we tried talking to them letting them know how ticked off it was making us, still they were all over near daily. I almost shot one once bow hunting last fall. Heard a ruckus in the corn, deer shot out, I drew back my bow waiting for more and out pops - THEIR GIGANTIC DOG??! Legally I could have shot it for harassing the deer, but didn't want to be the one to completely trash the relationship with the neighbors. I took pictures of the scene instead, sent them to them, STILL no change. They were back running amok within a couple of days despite knowing we were out hunting the property. So we notified them that from that point on we'd be hauling them off to the pound next time we caught them. Apparently the idea of them getting killed wasn't scary enough but the threat of having to pay impound fees to get their dogs back was? Whatever, it worked...so far. Haven't seen them since early winter of last year. They either finally got the message or something happened to them.

I can't stand owners like that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2