GO!

Is it illegal to "euthanize" your own dog?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 9 of 10: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
CODY

Bird chaser!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 7:00am PST 
Daegan~ I think I remember hearing that it is legal to euthanize your own animals but you have to dispose of them properly. Which I don't know what they would consider properly. That was just a hear say for our area, I am sure it veries state to state and county to county. thinking

I think your best bet would be to call your local police department and ask them.
[notify]
Fiona

Farting Queen

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 3:45pm PST 
I haven't read the whole thread but I'd imagine that drowning newborn kittens and puppies is quite illegal. I've heard of a few people I know doing so in the past because they didn't want kittens/puppies. Or a fellow farm girl would shoot newborn kittens because the barn cats were having too many...
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:16pm PST 
Here, shooting them due to health reasons is illegal, as is any mans other than having a vet put them down BUT, and I suspect in many rural areas, it's the same. Shooting them for chasing livestock is perfectly legal so, that is often the excuse.

I hate it, but in areas like this where a GOOD paycheck is 400.00 a dog needing over 100.00 in vet care rarely gets it. Most do get 7 way vaccine because the local feed store sells it for 15.00. Beyond that one a year my dogs are the only dogs on my road (26 home and all have dogs) that get vet care at all.

I am not dependent on the low wages of the area so, can afford proper care for my dogs but, most simply can't afford it. The vet can only charge 35.00 per routine visit and 70.00 for first time puppy or he'd have no customers at all in this town. Here, 20.00 is considered too much to pay for 50 lbs of dog food. Most get table scraps and the absolute cheapest dog food, or boiled rolled oats with grease mixed in for the poorest families out here. It's all they can afford and their dogs are ones that city people dumped out here. I have THE only purchased canines on my road.

Animal control does not serve this area, so that is not an option. Yes pets dumped out here are often shot for chasing livestock and/or digging in trash cans. Occasionally one gets out here that is aggressive toward people and those never last more than a day.
[notify]

Sadie

SadieMae - "The Boss"

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 5:36am PST 
What a great subject. I'll have to come back later to read all the responses. I remember years ago when I lived in backwoods GA, a neighbor had a dog with bloody diarrhea. Didn't have the money to take it to the vet (then why have a dog in the first place??) so he took it to the woods and shot it! Oh, did I cry.

When I recently had to have my Beavis put to sleep, I asked about the vet prescribing something that I could do on my own at home and was told "no". Although I seriously doubt that I could have done it anyway. Since my vet couldn't come to my home, which was my preference I took Beav there. I hopped up on the exam table with a quilt in my lap, laid Beav on my lap and they gave him the injection and he died in my lap, surrounded by love and tears. I do remember he struggled a bit as the drugs hit him and I was a bit horrified, hoping he wasn't suffering. But I guess as far as having to have a loved one put to sleep, it was probably about the best way to go. But could you imagine, IF this was a dog that you really loved and you put a bullet in his head?? What then?? You bring your dog back to your home to be buried or whatever, ummmm....in "that" condition? Yuck. Nope couldn't do it.

Can't wait to come back later and read all of the responses to this question when I have time.
[notify]
Mister- Obnoxious

Enough energy- for all

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 6:17am PST 
I actually stumbled upon this site by researching this question online. I have a black lab (11.5 months old) that was hit by a truck 2 weeks ago. I have already payed 2 grand in vet bills of money that I do not have to spare, and I understand not wanting to pay more money. I was initially told at the ER vet that he had a 20% chance of living through the night.. He is still here. I have watched him start to get better, and now I am watching him start to get worse. Initially his legs all moved but he could not stand. Now he can stand and walk with his back legs (with assistance) but his front legs have stopped working. They just hang, limp. He is doped up on pills, has multiple broken ribs (1 may possibly be a vertebrae), and I am watching his muscles deteriorate because he is bed ridden and can only get up WITH ASSISTANCE to go to the bathroom. His back legs are also starting to give out on him. The vet and I have decided that since he has been recovering so quickly compared to the shape he was in after the accident to give him more time... But after watching him suffer and slowly wasting away I am looking into my options if it comes to putting him to sleep. It's tearing me up to watch my dog that was so energetic he could not stay still for more than a minute (literally!) transform into this skeleton with fur that can only move his rump, and doing so puts him into fits of pain frown

I believe that if it comes to it, I will put him down myself. I grew up in the country and in the city, and I have seen it done on both ends.. But some how I just can't come to terms with paying someone to kill my baby while I pet him... I've held him in my arms for 2 weeks as he cries and suffers... I have shed many tears with him. There is a HUGE difference between shooting an animal to put it out of it's misery and abusing an animal. The thought of putting my dog to sleep either myself or at a clinic still makes me cry... But I see it as he is my dog, he is my responsibility, and I purchased him knowing that **** happens. Hopefully given a couple to a few more weeks he will improve and can make a recovery, but if not I will go to the troopers and make sure that it is legal to humanely put my dog down myself, and I will have a bonfire and burn him afterwords. The thought of killing my baby myself is really really hard.. and it's going to be something that I'm going to have to deal with.. But I honestly think it's just as bad to PAY someone ELSE to do it for you.. The only difference is you have the peace of mind to hold your limp dog instead of do the dirty dead yourself.
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 8:14am PST 
I'm not sure about EVERYWHERE but where I live IF you are not in the city limits and on your own property you are allowed to do it as long as you "dispose" of the body properly. My neighbor shot and killed 3 of his dogs (American Pit Bulls) he shot each one of them 3 times in the head, one of them ran off and probably suffered for a LONG time, it took as almost 2 weeks to find him - and he was still alive. After taking him to the vet the best thing to do was to let the vet euthanize him.
I do not recommend that ANYBODY do this. It does not cost that much to do it, and if you don't want to pay the bill, call a shelter or call the vet and tell them your situation - somebody will be willing to help.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 12:39am PST 
"With chemical euthanasia the dog is basically given an overdose of barbiturates."

If the dog is lucky, it gets a shot of phenobarb.

In many, many cases, I know for a fact that some vets simply shoot the dog with a paralyzing agent, then inject Lignocaine (Lidocaine) or sodium Thiopental IV to stop the heart; the same as lethal injection. It is well documented that it this, without prior sedation, is an agonizing way to go. The dog only 'looks peaceful' because it cannot move. I have similar doubts over compound formulations like Somulouse (Secobarbital/Cinchocaine) and Tributame (Embutramide/Chloroquine/Lidocaine), just because of speed of onset of the barbituate. Hopefully I am wrong, because these are used in vets all over the world. Fact is, we just do not know; no one lives to say, hey, that hurt like hell, do they? In the cases where barbs are not used at all, I would rather shoot my dog cleanly and humanely in the head, which is perfectly legal (at least in my area of the world) for the euthanasia of livestock and animals.

I have heard of kill-shelters skipping out on the barb stage because they are expensive and going straight to the heart stopper (no need to paralyze, no loving owner watching), and folk have told me they scream their little hearts out. It turns my stomach. If I needed to have Jack euthanized at any time I would insist on looking at the bottles, knowing exactly what was going into him; it isn't cheap after all, he deserves the sedative to send him to sleep first! If they didn't like it, I would take my business elsewhere, or have him shot. I'm very skeptical about some vet's practices when it comes to this and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by author Wed Mar 16, '11 12:41am PST

[notify]
Snowberrys- Shinning- Star HIC S

I'm a little- shit- disturber!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 2:55am PST 
Wow! Thanks for all that info Jackson. It's good to know about all this.
[notify]
Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 7:01am PST 
Jackson, so what do you think is a good compound? I would like to know as a just in case. If I ever end up in a situation like that I can't imagine putting my pup through pain like that...
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 12:23pm PST 
When I have to have one of my animals euthanized, be that a horse, dog or cat, I pay the added cost of having them actually put under anesthesia as if for surgery first. That way I at least KNOW they were peacefully asleep before being given the actual lethal drugs.
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 10: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10