GO!

Is there a site that lists pet limit laws by state?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 10:49am PST 
I'm going to be moving soon and don't want to end up in a West Virginia city with pet limit laws. Is there a site that lists cities with pet limit laws? I'd like to know which ones to avoid before I start my search.

I am aware of the places that have BSL. There are more than I thought. frown

Edited by author Sat Apr 17, '10 10:50am PST

[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 12:46pm PST 
Sachi, I would like to know the answer to that myself, as we are going to be transferred within the next year. If it is not overseas, it will be houston or california (not sure what city). We have 3 dogs plus foster cats. I would want to know ahead of time what problems may come up.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 1:20pm PST 
I found our city bylaws by googling my city. Perhaps you guys could google the cities you are interested in and then try to find their bylawsthinking
[notify]

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 3:41pm PST 
All I could find out is that Hurricane, WV has a two dog limit but I wouldn't have moved there anyway. It could be a good sign. Maybe I couldn't find anything else because there are no other pet limit laws in WV. I guess I'll revert to old fashioned calling as soon as I have a better idea of which cities I might move to.

Somebody should make a site with pet limits listed by state. wink
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 9:43pm PST 
Sachi, you can start with these. Both sites have a LOT of information and can be difficult to sort through, but it's better than nothing. Sorry - I don't know how to make the links clicky (delete any spaces in the URLs). Both are searchable.

http://www.animallaw.com/index.cfm
This site has all the state laws and legislation regarding animals. Pet limit info is likely to be on a local level. Housing is another story - landlords/property management can do almost anything they want. There are also additional animal law links that might help you.

http://stopbsl.com/
This site is more tuned to breed legislation, but sometimes has pet limit info included.

Good luck in WV!
way to go
[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 11:37pm PST 
Welcome to WV way to go

Have you tried calling a local courthouse or something of that nature?
[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Sun Apr 18, '10 6:39am PST 
Thanks for the sites, Titus.

Ava, I guess that is my next step. smile I knew I had to call somebody but wasn't sure who.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion. I've lived in WV for a couple years now. It's just that I'm moving to a different area.

Edited by author Sun Apr 18, '10 6:41am PST

[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sun Apr 18, '10 7:02am PST 
A lot of towns have their local ordinances online, although many smaller ones don't... animal law is frequently listed under the "health and human services", or "agriculture and horticulture". You can try the local libraries, too - they frequently have copies of local codes and ordinances (or can direct you where to find them).

I lived in Greenbrier County for a number of years, and in Jumping Branch. WV is BEAUTIFUL. big grin

Edited by author Sun Apr 18, '10 7:04am PST

[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Sun Apr 18, '10 1:43pm PST 
Thanks for all the tips. I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for online. frown Oh well. I'll try the libraries and courthouses.

Yes, it is very beautiful here with the rivers and trees. I live in Braxton County.
[notify]
Dieta

AKA Baby Face

Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 3:31am PST 
Call the city clerk where you are moving to. Or if you are moving to the township call the township clerk. She will know the ordance law.
Here it is 4 dogs per home. But, if you have more you have to get a kennel license and attend a township meeting.
Usually it goes by the state.
[notify]