GO!

are wolf hybrids actually legal?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 11:19pm PST 
Is this legal anywhere and if so does the owner need to have a special license? (I am NOT interested!! i just saw a question on another forum about someone saying they bought a wolf hybrid from a breeder)
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 11:32pm PST 
It varies from state and county. Where I live it is illegal to own one.
[notify]
Mia & Dot

the Sisterhood

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 11:55pm PST 
In California it's illegal to own an F1 (1st generation hybrid) anything after is totally unrestricted.
[notify]

Bilbo NAP- NJP CGC

All the virtue- of men without- his vices

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 4:08am PST 
I think we can could own them here in MN, but it changed sometime where they started regulating and certain areas may prohibit them. I doubt they're allowed where I live. If a dog resembles a wolf too closely in an area where you can have a wolf dog (like, they just look wolf, act wolf, etc) they'll ask for some proof of doggy parentage, which makes sense. Idiots who own wolf dogs often end up having serious bite cases on their hands. (BTW, not saying wolf dog owners are idiots. I'm saying some are idiots.)

I think, in 2000, we just prohibited release of said animals into the wild.
[notify]
Hilda, CGC

Hilda, Diva- Extraordinary

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 4:37am PST 
I think I'm remembering this correctly, but while I was managing an Humane Shelter in VT, they were illegal because the rabies vaccine had not been tested for wolf hybrids and they couldn't be "legally" vaccinated against rabies. We all agreed it probably worked just as well as it does in dogs, but it was something we could use when we needed to help shut down a problem BYB of hybrids, or an "idiot" owner of one.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 5:52am PST 
Wolf Hybrids are considered dogs. There are BSLs in some places against them, just like other breeds, and in some places they are completely legal.

Just an FYI...be careful. There are a lot of wolf hybrids on dogster.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 5:52am PST 
Wolf Hybrids are considered dogs. There are BSLs in some places against them, just like other breeds, and in some places they are completely legal.

Just an FYI...be careful. There are a lot of wolf hybrids on dogster.
[notify]
Hilda, CGC

Hilda, Diva- Extraordinary

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 6:16am PST 
I don't have any problem with the majority of owners... just those ones who shouldn't have ANY dog, much less breed them!!! We had one guy who bred them, if he bred a 1/4 wolf to a half wolf, he sold the offspring as 3/4 wolf!!!! He was good at math, too! He ultimately moved away and left them all in their pens, totally wild and unsocialized. Wasn't pretty at all!!!
Otherwise, in the proper hands, as with many breeds, they are fine. As I stated, this was something we only used when we had a serious problem.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 11:06am PST 
It varies from state to state, I was told by a wolf/wolf dog sanctuary that it was illegal where I live, but people still have them, breed them, and even sell them in the newspaper without reprocution.
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 12:29pm PST 
They're illegal where I live. Sadly, people still irresponsibly own them.

Personally, I don't believe in the breeding of wolves and wolf hybrids. However, I can't deny that many wolf hybrid owners love their dogs. It's the irresponsible ones that tick me off.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2