GO!

Does a 'beware of dog' sign lessen liabilities?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 8 of 8: Viewing entries 71 to 79)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 12:40am PST 
I read through the entire City of Edmonton PDF publication on dogs, cats, other pets and dangerous dogs. I couldn't find ANY reference to whether a "beware of dog" sign makes you "more liable". Does anyone know if there's a default bylaw regarding this?

I know people with tiny dogs that post beware of dog signs, and people with no dog at all that post the signs. It's a good deterrent in general. I'd be saddened to find out posting such a sign would be considered a liability where I live.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 7:09am PST 
Farley,since I'm in the states I really would have no way of helping you but Sabi might know. Perhaps if you see her somewhere you could p-mail and ask. I am also not good with Canadian geography. I do hope someone can help you.hug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 11:14am PST 
It is my understanding and my insurance agent agrees, that the posting of beware of dog signs and increased liability is pertaining to your insurance company, NOT state or local law.
Sooo, the place you would need to check would be with your homeowners or other liability insurance provider. I know MY insurance provider does consider it an admission of knowledge that the dog is a danger and therefore WILL NOT provide coverage nor honor previous coverage IF such a sign is present.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 11:11am PST 
Farley, the debate about signage is always ongoing. As Toto said the actual issue is dependant on your insurer. I have simply posted signs that say "Warning! Dogs on premises". People can read that any way they like.
You should be aware though that property laws in Alberta do not favor the dog owner, and over the years several people have been successfully sued because people committing crimes against their property or person were bitten. Most notably the woman in Edmonton I believe whose dog severely injured a man who broke in and assaulted her in her home.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 5:07pm PST 
A lawsuit is a civil matter though, Sabi, not a criminal one - even if no animal containment/control laws were broken, one can be sued in civil court by anyone bitten or menaced by a dog (or for almost any reason)... Of course, if someone is bitten during the commission of a crime against you or your property, that *can* have a detrimental effect on any civil case brought, but it really depends on the individual circumstances.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 7:17pm PST 
Yes I understand that Titus, but insurance lawsuits concerning liability are civil as well and it is the liability that was in question. Thats all I was trying to convey.
[notify]
Wilbur

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 4:50pm PST 
For more than seven years we've had a deck box next to the driveway clearly marked UPS FEDEX, DSL. And a sign 24" x24" metal sign with the dogs pictures on it Stating: Dogs contained by invisible fence, We can make it to the fence in 2.3 seconds can you? Do not not go beyond this sign. All deliveries to be placed in deck box. If signature is required Blow horn, someone will come out. For the seven years we have had no problem until this year. UPS person came onto property walking right past the sign, got bit, then proceeded to abuse the dogs by striking them with that thing you sign. He was standing right next to the sign on the other side of the invisible fence stepping over the fence line lunging at the dogs. I pointed out the sign and told him get off the property and he continues hitting the dogs even though the dog could not and would not cross the fence line they were just barking! He claims he couldn't see the sign because the grass was too long, BS. I found out later he changed his story saying there was garbage pail in front of it, again not so. Needless to say the dogs were rushed to emergency vet, unbeknownst to us a few months later we wondered why our insurance went up, They paid him $700. for his injuries!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 7:41pm PST 
It depends where you live. In our area even people without dogs put up Beware of Dog signs for security and I don't know of anyone around here who had insurance problems. Actually the animal control person told me it's a good idea. Our yard is locked at all times but it's a heads up to meter readers and cable guys not to get too close to the fence.

Our sign is a bit more direct "I Can Get To the Fence in 2.8 Seconds, Can You?" with a bull dog profile. I was thinking of adding "Attack Manx on Premises"laugh out loud
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Fri Mar 28, '14 10:00pm PST 
I use Dog on Premises sign. My insurance agent advised me that this is the best sign to use. He stated that Beware of Dog means you have knowledge of a possible bite/attack. I would advise putting up a No Trespassing sign. That way if someone enters/comes onto your property they are not authorized to be there. big grin
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 8: Viewing entries 71 to 79)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8