GO!

Our Petland is picketing!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 10:20am PST 
Yay!

I just got a call from my co-worker on her way home, and she said there's a mob (on the side of the way busy street) outside of the Petland here in Olathe picketing!

I think I just found something to do today!

FINALLY! I'm so happy to see somebody else here hates them too!
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 10:20am PST 
Whoops! Guess the title should be "Our Petland is being picketed!" but in my utter excitement, I had a brain fart!

cheer
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 11:46am PST 
I'm glad to hear that after the stories I've heard from you, Zeus. smile
[notify]

Franky

"I'm with- stupid"- ----------->

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 12:14pm PST 
What is Petland? Is it like Petco? Why are they being picketed? I'm guessing it's not because of the over-priced squeaky toys!!laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Sep 22, '07 12:15pm PST

[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 12:32pm PST 
Petland is a nation-wide pet store that sells live puppies. The Hunte Corporation aquires these puppies through puppy mills, then sells them to Petland, who jacks up the prices to obscene amounts. (It's not unusual to see Bulldogs for $4,000 in there.) They paint this beautiful picture to the customers of these cute, perfect, healthy, wonderful puppies with no problems. Well, they're not. (Zeus was from this specific Petland being picketed and has had more than his fair share of health problems!)

However, Zeus is one of the lucky puppies that actuall survived through this whole process these puppies go through. Many of them are so sick, that they die at one point or another.

Check out this site to learn about what goes on behind closed doors @ Petland!
[notify]
*Nadiya*

Happy- Valentine's Day- to my Bad Boy- Oz!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 12:34pm PST 
Cool Beans it's about time, if you ask me. I won't buy anything from Petland on either side of the state lines.
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 12:48pm PST 
I won't either!

Without my knowing (I was at work, and Grace was with me) my boyfriend brougt Zeus with him to a Petland a few weeks ago. I can't recall what for, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, Zeus stole, and quickly ate a pigs ear off of their floor. A worker there tried to grab it from his mouth (now why on earth would you try to grab something out of a strange 130 pound dogs' mouth?) and he snarled at the person, and continued to chow it down.

Now, usually I would NOT condone this kind of behavior and am shocked he did it in the first place (quite frankly, I'm surprised he didn't grab a parrott or two), but I found it as revenge of a sorts. Har har! I know this isn't rational, but I kept thinking, "He probably remembers that tiny cage they kept him in!" I remember from standing on that grate for months, when he came home, he didn't know how to put his little toes together. It was horrible.

Needless to say my boyfriend (who bought Zeus from that Petland against my wishes) almost came home with an English Mastiff girl who apparently was in the same conditions that Zeus was in. (WAY too big to be in such a tiny cage, later causing orthopedic problems.) I'm happy he did NOT, but feel SO sorry for that little girl...

Edited by author Sat Sep 22, '07 12:50pm PST

[notify]
Musa

Musa and Luna

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 1:01pm PST 
Petlands are all owned individually, and not all of them get their puppies from Hunte. I used to work at a Petland, so I know. I am not saying that some Petlands dont get puppies from puppy mills, but NOT all of them. The one that I worked at took excellent care of all of the puppies and other animals. They were all loved and placed in excellent homes. Just thought that it should be said that not all Petlands are bad....
[notify]
Bailey

Poo is yummy!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 1:24pm PST 
Our Bailey came from Petland. She had mange, worms, ear mites, and massive behavior problems that are suspiciously similar to puppies that come from puppy mills. I also tried to contact the breeder that was on her paperwork. The entire paperwork was made up, with false cities in Missouri (puppymill central). Luckily, she came out ok, with alot of money spent on her first few years. She is now having some health issues, that once again are puppymill dog related. I would NEVER buy anything from them again, and they recently closed up in our area.
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 1:26pm PST 
Hi, Musa! wave

I know of 2 people that used to work in this particular Petland taking care of the puppies in the back. They both openly admitted that sometimes they forgot to give the puppy or puppies the vaccination(s)/deworming they were due for, so covering their rears, they would just write down that they did it. Also, because of the overwhelming amounts of puppies coming in and out, sometimes meals got skipped and sick puppies were passed by without notice.

I can only assume this happens several other places, also. Especially when (here at least) the majority of the workers taking care of the puppies are high school kids that don't understand the importance of what's taking place.

shrugI'm just saying.

I don't see any positives to petstores except for to contribute to the nationwide laziness and impulsive-shopper phenomenon. Go rescue a dog from a shelter or rescue. Do your research and buy a puppy from a reputable breeder. Do something. But don't contribute to this. (As I, admittadly have done, and am ashamed to do so. So try to make up for it by spreading the word.)

FYI- I have kept in contact with Zeus' "breeder" after getting her name off of his AKC papers. She has gone from 4, to now 8 Bullmastiffs. (None of which, are OFA'd or CERF'd.) Zeus' parents are GONE. She has gotten rid of them, and she won't tell me where they're @. (Which breaks my heart. I would have gladly accepted them into our home, no questions asked.) She didn't know what entropion or GDV (2 HUGE issues in the breed) were when I told her Zeus had suffered through these problems. She is a nice old lady, but has NO business breeding puppies. As most all (if not totally all) of the "breeders" they get their puppies from.

Edited by author Sat Sep 22, '07 1:30pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6