GO!

What can I do to help pitbulls?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Miso

The Divine Devil- Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '05 7:55am PST 
Oh my God...I just can't read anymore of these pitbull stories. How could humans be so cruel to these dogs? Does anyone know what I can do? Also, does anyone have the list of cities that have the pitbull ban. I'm so afraid right now.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '05 7:13pm PST 
Miso the Best thing you can do is help educate others on what these poor dags have to deal with. other than that you can volunteer with pit bull rescues or a shelter to get more adopted out to good homes.
[notify]
Jodi-SAFE!

Pants aren't for- pulling?!?- Whatev.

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '05 9:47pm PST 
The best way, other than supporting rescues and being involved in bully-positive community activities, is to relate what you know about how much these dogs have been through and how they deserve a better reputation than the one given to them by the media.

Give the people around you a different perspective on what these animals are. People are often surprised when they meet our dogs or when we relate our experiences to them. They do not expect our dogs to be loving and kind. They don't expect Cheesy to try very politely and persistently to shake their hand every two seconds. They don't expect Jodi to park her somewhat round behind in their lap as soon as they meet her.

These are the things that change minds because people suddenly understand that their perceptions had flaws. When peoples' minds are changed, policy changes. Pit rescues talk frequently about being an ambassador for the breed. Adopters are urged to be MORE responsible than every other dog owner, to go through MORE obedience classes, to be MORE polite to people you pass on the street.

Pit owners should be almost bending over backwards to make everyone around them more comfortable as they walk their dog down the street. Why? Because their dog is dangerous? No. To change perceptions. To show that their dog is not the beast it was made out to be by the media and politicians.

That's why we did the Pit Bull Walk in San Francisco last year. So that Cheesy could snuggle up to the stranger beside him on the bench and walk in line with a bunch of other pits without any problems whatsoever.

Okay, soap box. But it is what I do with pretty near all of my time, so I spend a fair bit of time formulating answers to "Why do you do this?" or "Why don't you rescue pomeranians instead?" or "Don't you think it's dangerous?"

The hardest part is watching the media report only part of a dog attack story or hearing about the dog in SF that was lit on fire by some heartless person. But you can work to change what goes on, on any level that you choose. You can write a letter to an official, donate to a shelter or rescue group, volunteer by transporting animals or walking dogs. I can tell you, it really does help that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you start to do something about it!
[notify]

Jodi-SAFE!

Pants aren't for- pulling?!?- Whatev.

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '05 9:49pm PST 
P.S. Thank you for caring. It's so important!
[notify]
Cheesecake-S- AFE!

kind and gentle- boy

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '05 9:50pm PST 
By the way, I'm Cheesy. Nice to meet you, Miso puppy.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '05 7:56am PST 
DON'T SUPPORT BSL!!!!!
[notify]
Blacky Wacky- Bo Backy

I tripped over- my own ears as a- puppy...

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '05 10:21am PST 
Write to your state represenitive,govenor,mayor anyone who has power to outlaw BSL in your area that will listen. Also send along this link www.sorryagain.com
[notify]
Tulip

Hello all my- lovely dogsters!

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '05 11:20am PST 
Hey Miso!
Thanks for caring about us pitties. I think everyone has given great advice so far.

I would say if you want to help you could write your local and state representatives and even county councilors. Write to tell them that you are a dog owner and that breed specific legislation does not work. Tell them that dog laws that will prevent back yard breeding and encourage responsible ownership are the answer!

They do keep files on certain topics and will listen to their consituents when something like this comes up for a vote. If you have BSL in your town, county work to overturn it! Check out http://www.understand-a-bull.com/ There is an Illinois update on there right now!

Here are more informational websites that I like: www.jentown.com or http://www.dogpolitics.com/

You may not be able to stop owners from being irresponsible and cruel but you can make sure that people do not breed dogs and sell them to the wrong people. Do not support Backyard breeding!

Thanks again
luv
T
[notify]
Tulip

Hello all my- lovely dogsters!

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '05 11:23am PST 
Miso
I checked the www.understand-a-bull.com website again and found this:
"Senator Sandoval is again announcing he will submit a bill to ban pit bulls and repeal the current IL State law prohibiting BSL.

Two House bills have been introduced that must be shut down! They will allow for BSL in the State! HB4212 and HB4213 "

You should send Senator Sandoval and let him know that his bill to ban pit bulls is wrong!
[notify]
Miso

The Divine Devil- Dog

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '05 12:47pm PST 
Thanks you guys, Cheesy, Tulip, and Diesel. I really want to help. I really wanna know what I can do. Mommy was thinking about writing some letters to people she thinks might help. It might sound silly but mommy was thinking about writing to Oprah because she's pretty influential and also the mayor. We live in Chicago, one of the known dog friendly city. Although I don't think our city has banned pitbulls, hopefully they'll get to read it and somehow have an effect on other cities who had or are going to pass the law. Anything helps right?!?!?!

P.S. Don't have to thank me...I'm sure you guys would do the same for any other dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2