GO!

DVD - Off the Chain- A shocking expose on America's forsaken breed- regarding pit bulls

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Gwenevere - *In Loving- Memory*

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 1:49pm PST 
Ok, either I have misread something here or need further clarification-Ziero, are you saying that you are against this documentation because it misrepresents the persons involved? In this thread, we were discussing the quality/knowledge you may have about this dvd...so what is your opinion on the dvd? Have you seen it?

From what I got from what Ziero has said, is that you have to accept the history of the Pit Bull to fully understand the breed for it's qualities and characteristics. Pit Bulls tend to be animal aggressive-this is NOT the same thing as people aggressive-which should NEVER be tolerated. Pit Bulls were not bred to be people aggressive, they were originally bred to be easily broken up(in a fight) by people who were fighting them(typically poor people-farmers at the time). You can read this in any history of the Pit Bull Terrier. Please visit pbrc.net for quick history info.

Because people aggression and animal aggression are two seperate things, a suspected fighting dog, bait dog, or fighting dog IS able to be rehomed. There is an organization that actually takes in fighting dogs and works in rehabilitating them in order to rehome them safely. I have worked with a Pit Bull who was used for a bait dog; she was the sweetest dog I have EVER met. She never wanted to fight-as she showed NO aggression to any of the dogs in the kennel-not even a bark-she gave kisses to the other doggies through the fence! This dog would drag whoever was walking her to my car when she would see me pull in, and shower me with kisses, wiggling all over-so happy to see those that loved her. I would go in her kennel and rub her belly, allowing her to kiss my face-this is not something you do with an animal that you would fear, or that is dangerous. She was placed in a loving home with people who knew about her past and were willing to love her and show her a new life. She has been with them for quite a long time now, and is doing just fine. It can be done-depending on the animal and his/her temperment.

With that, I will say that dog fighting is wrong, and I do NOT condone it, nor do I have anything less than disgust for the people who take part in such a disturbing act of violence. These people are mentally ill, as one Pit Bull Rescue site directs them to a mental health site upon their visiting, I think that these people have serious issues. I love all of my bully dogs more than anything, and when I met that sweet pittie girl who had been used for bait-and she looked into my eyes-exausted from having been let loose to disappear forever by her abuser on the hottest day of the year-wondering what was to become of her next-I knew that she did not deserve to die-she was not dangerous-she deserved to be loved. And that is just what we did-loved her-and now she has her second chance to grow old and fat like every dog deserves to do-surrounded by love.

Please do not look upon these victims of the worst type of abuse possible, as dangerous. Very often this is not the case. Please open up your hearts.
[notify]
Ziero - CGC, Rest in- peace 11/

I'm smarter than- your Honor- Student!

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 2:12pm PST 
Bella- I can say that there are all kinds of dog breeders out there that have yards set up similar to Floyd's. I have been to places that have chain set ups just like his that have several different breeds.. none of them fighting dogs.. some are hounds, some are herding dogs... just because they don't have a kennel set up to house the dogs does not mean they are bred to fight.

Gwen- I have not seen, nor heard of this DVD prior to reading this post. I can only go off the knowledge I have of people like Floyd who have spent their whole lives working with these dogs. Although, I do feel that if this was produced by the HSUS, it will give a misrepresentation of the history behind Floyd and all of the old dogmen that had the foundation dogs of this breed.

The decendents of these dogs are used in conformation shows and weight pulling. They have the fighting dog's conformation and attitude, but are not used to fight anymore by most people.. If you go to any ADBA or AADR show, you will see this.

I am not here to start WWIII with you folks, I am just trying to get you to understand the history behind these guys.. that is all. I understand and respect every one of your opinions, but am not getting the same respect back for the knowledge I do have, so this will be the end of my posting on this thread..

Sorry for any misunderstandings...

Chad
[notify]

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 2:14pm PST 
Also, in case anyone is confused as to what Ziero stands for, please visit this website-
Brew City Pit Bull Club Info

I think that there was just a misunderstanding, Ziero does not support dog fighting, but rather an understanding of the breed. It IS bred in a Pit Bull to fight-not that they should be fought-this is just a fact. Please visit pbrc.net for a quick history check. Thanks! smile
[notify]

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 2:24pm PST 
Chad-absolutely! Any type of media source is altered to serve the purpose of the person who is sending the message-whatever it may be. That is why it is so important for people to view ANY type of media with a critical eye. Especially film! Film is SO manipulated-by cuts that are made, camera angles etc. I would like to view this film, but am glad to have a different POV to research-it is important to consider all positions involved before making an educated decision as to what you want to accept/reject of media messages.

Chad, I thank you and respect your opinions and knowledge on the breed. You have authority on the subject-given your experiences etc. I truly hope that you do not drop out of the discussion because of the misunderstanding of others, though I understand your frustration. I hope that I have not pushed you out of this discussion in any way, I love to learn from others.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 2:24pm PST 
Thanks Gwen. At least you understood what I was trying to say.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 2:28pm PST 
If you'd like any other info Gwen, feel free to send me a private message.. I would be glad to help you.
[notify]
Wishbone

Wishbone aka- wiggle butt

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 4:40pm PST 
WOW, this post got a little off target.

I posted about the DVD because I thought other people might be interested in it and I thought it would be interesting to see some of the history of pits - which the article says is covered.

Ziero - the DVD was not produced by HSUS but by Bobby J. Brown - I don't know who that is.
[notify]
Tulip

Hello all my- lovely dogsters!

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '05 9:08pm PST 
Hey y'all
Mom ordered this online and she couldn't finish watching it so she can't give a full review. But it is very very intense. She stopped watching after one of the owners took a drill and filed down his dogs teeth so they could be more pointy. That wasn't even the worst of it.
It is very tough to watch and not for the faint of heart.
T
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3